Is It Time To Restore Clifton Park?

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bill Call

Is It Time To Restore Clifton Park?

Postby Bill Call » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:27 am

Years ago the State of Ohio decided to bulldoze one of Lakewoods finest neighborhoods to ease the commute of Rocky River residents. The resultant scar has devestated property values in a once highly valued area, increased traffic in Lakewoods residential neighborhoods and damaged the once stately Clifton Boulevard.

Part of Lakewood's fair share of bailout funds should be money to restore Clifton Park, rebuild the homes and use the bridge for condo development. Additional funds could also be used to restore Clifton Boulevard.

If I were dictator I would make it so.

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Bill, what neighborhood got bulldozed? where?

Bill Call

f

Postby Bill Call » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:25 am

Stephen Eisel wrote:Bill, what neighborhood got bulldozed? where?

40 years ago the bridge across river that merges with Lake Avenue in Rocky River didn't exist. Clifton Avenue ended at West Clifton. As you drive down Clifton into Rocky River you see dead end streets to the North and South. Where the Clifton road extension now exists there use to be dozens of homes similar to what you see in Clifton Park. Those homes were demolished and the streets dead ended to make room for the new street.

Initially, bisecting Clifton Park had a devestating impact on the home values of those houses South of the new road. Eventually the erosion in values affected the values of houses North of the new road. Ultimately that erosion in values affected homes on Clifton and Lake.

The rather sketchy info I had indicates that the City of Lakewood put up a fierce fight to stop the extension. There were a lot of reasons given for the destruction of the neighborhood. The real reason is that the extension eased the commute of Rocky River residents and increased the value of Rocky River property. Sound familar?

Jim O'Bryan

Re: f

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:33 am

Bill

While I remember the tear down vividly, having more than one friend loose 2/3rds of their backyard to the "new road." I am not sure of the effect on homes in the area.

One Observer family recently sold their home, which had been cut down and sat on the road for over $600,000. Of course this was after Stan Austin had refinished their third floor!

I do like the idea, but I would also ask the city cut down many of the exits and entrances to Lakewood. Edgewater at W117th, could be limited to one way during rush hour, and limited traffic all other times. Maybe close the extension on Cove to Edgewater. Close down many of the streets off of Lakewood Heights, from the Bridge to Bunts, making them cul de sac streets.

Create many one way streets throughout the city.

But let's not forget the major sewer project on Clifton. I would much rather see the Feds pay the $50 million+ that will be needed, than residents.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:04 pm

My recollection is that the project was delayed by actions by the homeowners, and in particular by the yacht club, as a bridge pillar threatened their swimming pool.

In any event, before the project, the commuter traffic passed along old detroit road in Rocky River, across the narrow old bridge, down Sloane and West Clifton, and onto Clifton. The effect of the project was to remove most of the traffic from the congestion of Detroit, the old bridge, Sloane, and West Clifton, which I think was an improvement, especially for the schoolkids attending the two schools on that route, although the kids from Clifton park probably we inconvenienced by having to cross the new Clifton. I don't think traffic on Clifton was materially increased, nor was Clifton made less attractive or stately. I see no difference on Clifton today from before the project; the place we waited for the truck to deliver our supply of the Cleveland News is still there, and to my eye has the same amount of traffic. I think the stately Clifton Boulevard Mr. Call seems to recall is a figment of his imagination.

Restoring the neigborhood of Clifton Park to it's exclusive glory seems to be like restoring virginity; it won't work. Modern builders don't make homes like those that were there, and especially on such relatively small lots.

The idea that our governments, all strapped for money, would worsen a traffic situation to build exclusive homes in a declining city is laughable. Is there a contest for the goofiest idea of the year? I think we have a winner.

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:02 pm

I would love to see the Clifton Blvd project bury all the over hear lines along with the sewer project. If your going to rip up the road for such a big project..why not do it right....and put in lamp posts. It is also a safety issue with our large trees and bad weather. It may even save money eventually.

Rhonda

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:14 pm

I also have heard that on the Rocky River side of Clifton Blvd. (which is Lake at that point) they are going to eliminate the ramp that goes from the bridge to Starbucks. And that there is going to be a development project along the river in that area.

It would great no matter where you live to see the traffic slow down as you approach Lakewood from Rocky River. Clifton Blvd (that splits Clifton Park in half) is so wide at that point that it is like a highway and cars seem to maintain that speed level as they go thru the city. It is a hazzard for anyone who tries to cross Clifton Blvd. at any point. Why do we let westside commuters use our city to do this? Why do we make it easier for those that live in Avon to use our city as a hightway to get downtown. They now have 90....

It does not have to be this way!

Rhonda

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Rhonda loje wrote:I also have heard that on the Rocky River side of Clifton Blvd. (which is Lake at that point) they are going to eliminate the ramp that goes from the bridge to Starbucks. And that there is going to be a development project along the river in that area.

It would great no matter where you live to see the traffic slow down as you approach Lakewood from Rocky River. Clifton Blvd (that splits Clifton Park in half) is so wide at that point that it is like a highway and cars seem to maintain that speed level as they go thru the city. It is a hazzard for anyone who tries to cross Clifton Blvd. at any point. Why do we let westside commuters use our city to do this? Why do we make it easier for those that live in Avon to use our city as a hightway to get downtown. They now have 90....

It does not have to be this way!

Rhonda

I hope it does not turn out like the last time thy tried to develop that area. When they tore down a wonderful little coffee shop and a row of antique shops to put up some craptastic town homes. They only saving grace there is that 4 years later only one of the town homes has been sold (if you even call that a sale).

Anyway, My wife says I should be less bitter so back on topic. I agree that Clifton has so much potential and it looks like we are only going to get one shot to make drastic changes. Do with that what you will...

Return to “Urban Dynamics”