Co-Op's Of all Kinds

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Richard Cole

Postby Richard Cole » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:45 pm

michael gill wrote:Hey Richard--do you need a ladder?

I've got one at 24', and another that's taller, though I'm not sure it's as tall as 32. But it might be. I got it from my father in law. You can use either one any time.

No - down at the bottom-end of the street the ladder borrowing (and other "stuff") is well established. Thanks for the offer. However - moving a 32ft ladder so you don't wreck the phone/cable service, that's another topic entirely!

This is an interesting discussion between Jim and Lisa; I don't have much to add as apart from the neighbor borrow/lend experiences, I have no practical knowledge or experiences of participating in co-ops.

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:43 pm

A number of years ago, I saw a story about the Berkeley [California] Public Library. They had started a Tool Lending Library. I was fascinated because their community seemed like ours, older houses, and a number of people with limited resources that wanted to improve their homes.

The Library doesn't just loan tools, they provide education in their use.

The Tool Library stimulated home improvement and restoration. I haven't followed up on it, but it seemed like the entire community could win with the results.

Here is a link.

http://berkeleypubliclibrary.org/servic ... g_library/

Here is another link to a Wikipedia page about Tool Lending Libraries. They list about 25 cities that have these, including Columbus, Ohio (Are they more progressive than us?). I'm not sure how many are actually affiliated with a regular public library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_to ... _libraries

I mentioned the Berkeley Library story to Ken Warren after I'd seen it. As I recall, Ken used the term "mission creep" as part of his answer to sway my interest away from LPL involvement. I think I agree with him, but that doesn't mean that something like that couldn't be done by another group or agency.

Maybe it could be set up in cooperation with, or near, Lakewood Hardware. Check out a hammer and buy your nails. Check out a drill and buy your screws.

A nice project for an individual, or group, with knowledge, energy, and grant writing skills.

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
michael gill

Postby michael gill » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi, Steve.

NPR had a story today--I fergit which show--about libraries that loan cake pans in a broad variety of shapes and sizes. You know: you might want a Thomas the Tank engine cake for your boy's fifth birthday and then never have use for it again. For situations like those, in (I think) four communities across the US, you can go to the library.

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Michael,

I went to npr.org and couldn't find that.

You'd think that a library that has Chef Geoff on the Board would have every type of cooking utensil to loan.

Of course, Chef Geoff has been spending most of his time just being Jeff Endress lately. Maybe when he gets back to his Chef mode, and starts writing again, he'll also arrange that we can borrow whisks, graters, and saute pans.

Should the library also loan knives? Hmmm.

Steve

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.

Return to “Urban Dynamics”