Beer and Fun and Friends on the sidewalk.

Forum strictly about development, urban planning, community programs ideas, and discussions about cities around the world and what they are doing right.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Jim DeVito

Beer and Fun and Friends on the sidewalk.

Postby Jim DeVito » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Just read Mark’s article. Sound like a wonderful idea.

I purpose we set aside 2 weeks a year, One for Madison and one for Detroit.

For one week a year we could close the entire street to motor traffic (baring residential and emergency of course) and set up street side patios in front of all the local bars. The city could rent all the tables and chairs for a moderate price. The bars could pitch in 50 bucks a piece to help negate the cost. It would be almost foreshadowing for the pedestrian friendly sidewalk café’s I believe are entirely possible in Lakewood.

Any thoughts?

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:47 pm

More drunks making noise on the West End?

No thank you.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Ohh Just thought of another idea. Since there are alot of bars that do not sell food we could have the local restaurants come and show off their cooking skills and menu by feeding all the people that would show up for a ... (insert name here)

Sharon,

This is just an idea. An idea to grow. Of course you views as a "person who live close to there" will be taken into consideration.

Take Care All!!

Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:05 pm

If I know my friends, after that much beer and fun they would be on the sidewalk. Face down.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 am

I think it's a neat idea, but I'm not sure how feasible. Aren't both of those technically state routes? I'm not sure they'd let us shut them down for an entire week, but maybe for part of a day here and there? Like maybe one evening a week for a month?

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:21 am

Liquor permits for such events are tricky. I'm sure if Mary Ann Crampton tried, she would succeed in getting one--that lady kicks butt!!

Corey

Bill Call

t

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 am

I once suggested to Nate Kelly that the City create a Madison Avenue Cafe District that would extend from Angelo's to the Waterbury Coach House.

An outdoor eating area could be created by eliminating one lane of traffic on each side. Special permits would be required to use the enlarged area. The permit applicant would have to prove that at least 40% of the gross revenue of the establishment came from food.

I thought a permit fee of $500 per year could be used for some additional landscaping.

The patios would increase the foot traffic in the entire area. That increased foot traffic would create a more vibrant feel, attract other eateries to the area and generally make the area look more lively.

For a very small investment the City could set the stage. I don't expect it to happen.

Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:17 pm

This reminds me of the Oktoberfest celebration my mom would always take us to while I was growing up in California, it was in a city called La Mesa. It was held at night and while there was beer, there was also food, music and crafts. It was a fun event that I fondly remember.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:40 pm

La Mesa is a very interesting city.

Hope Rhonda Loje clicks on the following link http://www.lmvma.com/

http://www.lmvma.com/lmv_oktoberfest.html - for the Octoberfest

Check out their seasonal events!

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the links dl. Stuff like that makes me a bit homesick, but then I remember that I love my little city of Lakewood.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:41 pm

We can always work towards bringing some of the things you liked about those festivals in La Mesa to Lakewood.

Thanks for mentioning the town - they're doing some really fun stuff.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45

Return to “Urban Dynamics”