Got Heritage Home Loan...now need contractors

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Ruth Sholtis-Furyes

Got Heritage Home Loan...now need contractors

Postby Ruth Sholtis-Furyes » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Looking for any suggestions for contracts for the following work
Electrical--knob tube replacement,upgrade to box, increase # of outlets, etc etc...yes I am well aware of the cost.

Insulation---blow in exterior wall only.

Masonry---front steps.

Garage replacement--one that looks like it goes with the house and not a prefab kit.

Driveway replacement-- tinted pressed concrete.

Painting/Exterior Carpentry--replace bad wood, good prime/2 coat SW paint, additional porch railing, potential porch deck repairs too

Floors---Sand refinish whole house.

Ruth Sholtis-Furyes

Postby Ruth Sholtis-Furyes » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Ok I got a few quotes and just wanted to see if anyone had used any of these companies...

Great Garage

Classic Floors

still looking for the following contractor suggestions:
floor refinishing
carpentry
painting

thanks.

David Bargetzi

Postby David Bargetzi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Wow. How exciting that you're having all this done. If you don't find somebody for any of these tasks let me know. I have a great all around guy I'll recommend.

David

Sean McDermott

Postby Sean McDermott » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 pm

You may want to try Don Cox of Cox Construction. He can probably self perform much of the work and coordinate the rest so you don't have to. He operates out of Avon Lake but has been doing work on older homes on the west side for some time.

Joe Ott

Postby Joe Ott » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Ruth - I pm'd you the name of a guy, the only person I would trust. It looks as though you have not read it. It's still in my outbox. Check your PM's.

Ruth Sholtis-Furyes

Postby Ruth Sholtis-Furyes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I get a quote from Gerwitz yesterday.

Thanks everyone.

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:11 pm

We just finished a lot of work and I was going to post some kudos to some of the great people that helped us. There are some amazing contractors around. But I will list a few here on your list.

Stan Austin - I think painted every available surface of our home inside and out as well as some furniture (on purpose).:) He did a great job and a nicer guy you couldn't find. He also fixed broken windows, refinished woodwork (amazing job on the woodwork) and this week with the move - did an amazing job on carpet removal and even helped us move. I sure there are many other tasks he performed but in general he is a great guy and a Lakewood citizen.

Mann Concrete worked with us on the driveway. We did a mixture of ashpalt, concrete and stamped concrete. (His wife owns Brownstone Day Care and they are a great family.) He did a great job for us - just the design we wanted. I'll admit the two colors I picked originally off the chart I didn't like and he worked with me until we got the colors right. He also redid our front steps in a mix of concrete and stamped concrete.

Mike Farris my brother in law is an incredible carpenter. He also does an amazing job of drywall. He built an intricate fence for us, copied exactly the original trellis for the house. He put up some crown molding for us as well. He certainly could do the exterior woodwork, porch railings etc.. He does decks of all kinds (just did one for my in-laws with the recycled lumber) and all kind of cabinet installations etc. His number is: 216-661-5818.

Good luck and have fun.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”