destroy windows vista

Discussion area following the Lakewood Technology Summit meetings.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

ryan costa

destroy windows vista

Postby ryan costa » Sun May 18, 2008 1:20 pm

I purchased a compaq laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed a few months ago. I want to uninstall it and load up my old Windows XP and office programs.

The tutorials I look up have differing details and generally describe a lot of headaches involved. Is there an easy way to destroy the installation of Windows Vista and load up Windows XP without breaking the hardware?

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:27 am

Use Linux.

However I do think that you should be able to legally downgrade you copy of crap err I mean vista to XP. Perhaps you should check the microsoft web site to see if they still offer this option. If so then it is a simple as getting you hands on a windows disc and doing the install. Now since I just saw this post you may have done that by now. ;-)

Roy Pitchford

Re: destroy windows vista

Postby Roy Pitchford » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Preface: This WILL wipe out everything and give you a completely fresh start with Windows XP.

0. Backup all files you want to keep.
1. When you turn on the computer, enter the BIOS Setup (probably uses Delete or one of the function keys to gain access).
2. Look around for the boot sequence. Change the settings to go to your CD-ROM first.
3. Turn off the computer and insert Windows XP install disk.
4. Turn computer back on.
5. Computer will boot to install disk. Run through it, making sure to reformat the hard drive.

Windows XP installed. Now, install Office like usual and restore the files you backed up before.

I don't know why so many people complained about downgrading from Vista to XP...its not that tough. Granted, I never went to Vista in the first place...

Return to “Lakewood Technology”