Windows

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Bryan Schwegler

Windows

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:24 am

So I'm beginning to look at replacement windows. Does anyone have an recommendations or advice?

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Bryan--- Go to--

http://www.andersenwindows.com/

this is a good site to educate yourself on the different possibilities. I would suggest you make every effort to maintain the architectural integrity and theme of your house when choosing a window.

A quality window is going to cost some money. So, you may even want to spread the purchase out over more than one year. For instance, do the 3rd floor attic and front of the house windows first. Then as money allows the other sides.

One thing for sure, the original fenestration (doors and windows) are enormous energy wasters. And, the maintenance on an old unit can run close to the cost of a new unit.

Finally, if you do choose Anderson, a good dealer is Cleveland Lumber.

Stan Austin

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Bryan

Stan is right.....a good quality window will cost a good bit of money. We took the route that Stan suggests, doing it a side at a time. This also allowed us to correct an initial decision that we had made. The first windows were purchased on reputation of the manufacturer....and if we had it to do all over again, we would have never used them. AND they weren't cheap. I'll be happy to drop you an PM and give you my impressions.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:09 pm

A side at a time seems to be a nice option. Hopefully window styles don't get discontinued quickly, that would be my only fear. :)

I think we're going to start looking around at various options and start pricing things out. After our first winter in the house, it's become all too apparent how energy inefficient our current windows are.

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:35 pm

While I do not have any recommendations, I will say good call. Once you make the switch it really like living in a new house. :-) I have the same gas bill in my new house (almost to the $) with new windows. As I did living in my old apartment with 70 year old windows. Good Luck!

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 pm

That's what I'm hoping. We spent big money in January to have the walls insulated and that made a huge difference as well. I'm hoping the windows help with that also. :)

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks Stephen, I've added them to the list.

I've called a few places to have them stop and give enstimates so we'll see how it works out.

Glenn Palmer

Postby Glenn Palmer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:37 am

Bryan I have a couple ways to do them either install yourself which is not very difficult or you can have a contractor install them. I have a couple different grades available and 2 displays at the store. I can show you the different styles and give you some advise, or you can have use give you an additional quote to keep everybody honest

Glenn
Lakewood Hardware

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Glenn Palmer wrote:Bryan I have a couple ways to do them either install yourself which is not very difficult or you can have a contractor install them. I have a couple different grades available and 2 displays at the store. I can show you the different styles and give you some advise, or you can have use give you an additional quote to keep everybody honest

Glenn
Lakewood Hardware

Thanks Glenn, I may stop in Saturday. While I'm definitely not looking to do it myself (because I'm totally not at all handy) I'd like to see what you have and get some advice in case I decide to purchase the window separately and hire a contractor to install them.

Greg Morley

Postby Greg Morley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 am

About 2 years ago I had 6 windows on the second floor replaced by Stanek. The sashes were shot, but the frames were solid. What a difference the new windows made. My home is about 104 yrs old,with painted clapboard and cedar shakes siding. I am not the handy man type either.I had no idea that there were sooooo many options to replace a window.I knew what I wanted in performance though...less maintnence(no such thing as maintnence free),more comfort and they had to look similar to the original window.The windows were installed in one day with a second visit to finish off the outside trim (after a snow storm).While the overall glass area is smaller (the new frames are installed into the old frame), the windows exceeded my expectations and the fact that several of my neighbors have them helped the decision process.They are also a Cleveland based company and the warranty is one of the best.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:24 am

Just to follow-up, we ended up going with Regency and they just installed the windows yesterday (we did half right now, other half probably later this year).

The installation team was outstanding and did a great job. Very polite and friendly which is often a rarity at least in my experience of having people over the fix or install things in my one year of home ownership. :)

I love the windows also, I would highly recommend them.

Bret Callentine

Postby Bret Callentine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Bryan,

Who did you go with for the wall insulation? We've been thinking about getting that done for a while (with new windows to come later).

Did they insulate from the inside or outside?

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:43 pm

I went with USA Insulation. They did it from the outside and did a great job. I'd definitely recommend them.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”