Haunted Garage Door

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Phil Florian

Haunted Garage Door

Postby Phil Florian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 am

I have a haunted garage door. It's a fact. A few nights ago, while brushing my teeth at midnight before bed, I heard our garage door start to go up. Since some local kids had been setting off car alarms recently, I figured one got into our car and was messing with the door. When I got downstairs, the door was on its way back down and stopped. I checked both cars and both were locked and the remotes in place. While standing there, the door went up again half way, stopped, started back down and stopped again. I looked around and found no giggling kids. I left he door at its nearly closed position and went to bed. The next morning, the door was alll the way down.

Telling this to my neighbor the next day, she noted she was going to ask about it because during the day when I was away at work it was doing some random up and down stuff, too.

I checked the inside switch of the opener and it didn't work and the wire was frayed and rusted half way up. I figured it was a short so I disconnected the button but this didn't stop the problem.

It isn't the remotes because it happens when neither remote is around during the day as well as when they are around.

Any ideas? I would hate to call and pay a rather large service fee if it might be something simple. If it might need repair, anyone know of a decent door company that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks!

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:54 am

I'd probably call Precision Door because that's our neighbor, Jim Boland, and he can fix anything. I'll look for the phone number on his truck because these are franchises and are not all the same.

Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 pm

dl meckes wrote:I'd probably call Precision Door because that's our neighbor, Jim Boland, and he can fix anything. I'll look for the phone number on his truck because these are franchises and are not all the same.

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it. That is one of those trucks one sees from time to time. Now that you bring it up, I will probably see them everywhere! :D

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Phil,
We had the same problem, and it turned out that since the garage doors work on radio frequencies, someone near our house had something that activated the door whenever they used whatever it was.

We had the doors re-coded, and they stopped going up on their own.

Mark Allan Crnolatas

Phil Florian

Re: ..

Postby Phil Florian » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Mark Crnolatas wrote:Phil,
We had the same problem, and it turned out that since the garage doors work on radio frequencies, someone near our house had something that activated the door whenever they used whatever it was.

We had the doors re-coded, and they stopped going up on their own.

Mark Allan Crnolatas

Thanks, will definitely try that. It has oddly enough stopped on its own over the last few days. Hmmm... Still, will re-code. Only way to be sure that isn't it.

Good idea! Thanks!

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 am

Just a thought, if you have any remoted in a car parked in the garage... maybe check to make sure the battery is not dying. My car door remote was doing weird things once until I changed out the battery.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:39 am

J Hrlec --- I'm sure Phil would have appreciated your suggestion. However, a few days ago he was crushed to death by a malfunctioning garage door. :(
Stan

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 am

Stan Austin wrote:J Hrlec --- I'm sure Phil would have appreciated your suggestion. However, a few days ago he was crushed to death by a malfunctioning garage door. :(
Stan

:shock:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I should have suggested a safe-T beam system as well....

:cry:

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”