Thanks, Lakewood Hardware

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

dl meckes

Thanks, Lakewood Hardware

Postby dl meckes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 am

[unsolicited praise to follow]

Glenn Palmer & Co. may become our new best friends. We've been over there twice (so far) in the past two days.

We've been putting off fixing three broken window panes in some 1929 casement windows. We couldn't find the same glass and it was imperative to match it.

We had replaced one small window and we saved the old window "just in case." Getting the glass out of the old window was really difficult. I started working on it, but gave up. DH had a better way to think about it (soaking the panes in mineral spirits) and was successful.

He was very careful to save the little wire window clips (pins?) because we had never seen those at the Home Despot. They aren't like the little "stars" that hold the glass in a wood frame - these frames are metal. They had sprung off the glass, so we had to use the magnetic roller toy to find them in the driveway (and in the grass).

We needed glazing compound and I didn't feel like walking through a huge space to get it, so off to Lakewood Hardware we went.

Right next to the window glazing compound, they had a bunch of small boxes containing the little wire clips that we needed!

Normally it isn't a big deal to fix a broken window pane, but this job took a lot of time and thought. Heck, we've been thinking about it for at least a year.

We are grateful that we can quickly find little things we need to fix our old house. I know a $1.99 item isn't going to keep this business afloat, but I am more convinced than ever of the need of a specialty shop like this in Lakewood. Thanks for taking a chance on this business in this place!

David Anderson

Postby David Anderson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 am

To add to your comments, DL, I bought a gallon of water based polyurethane at Lakewood Hardware for the same price I would have paid elsewhere.

So, while this hardware store is good for the nickle and dime stuff needed to fix our old Lakewood homes, it's also good for some of the more expensive needs as well.

Keep spreadin' the word.

Kevin Galvin

Postby Kevin Galvin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 pm

DL and/or Mr. Palmer;
I haven't stopped up there yet but from the sound of things, it won't be long. I used to use Bobson's and when they closed I switched to Ingersol's. If you are back in there you could mention that the city used to have an open account with the city. I have no idea what the process whould be in getting such an account but it might be worth it for them to check into it. It makes much more sense for the city to have an account at a hardware store than to stock all the items that they may need.

I know the city switched to Home Depot when Bobson's closed but I also know Mayor George believes in supporting Lakewood businesses whenever possible. Like I said, I'm not sure how to go about it, but my guess would be to check with finance and if that doesn't work he should call Barb in the mayor's office. She can direct him to the correct dept.
Just a thought since every little bit helps.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”