Safari for Windows

Discussion area following the Lakewood Technology Summit meetings.

Moderator: Jim DeVito

Bryan Schwegler

Safari for Windows

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:13 pm

Just thought I'd share that Apple has just released Safari for Windows:

http://www.apple.com/safari

Oh and Mac users can also download the beta of 3.0.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 am

The windows version is full of security bugs. Apple has released a patch, but I'm not sure if it takes care of the found holes.

The Mac version is great, however. I'm finally starting to like Safari better than Firefox!

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:07 am

I just installed the beta version of Safari and notice quite a difference in the way it displays html, which I find surprising. It isn't necessarily an improvement.

For instance, all the boxes in the theme for the Deck that show the various WYSIWYG elements now show a heavy black border instead of the nice shaded buttons. There's no good explanation for the display difference.

The buttons in the top part of the Deck, like FAQ, Search, Members, etc. look the same.

Firefox has a different way of displaying the buttons, but it isn't as ugly as the new Safari.

Why???

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Actually in versions of Safari before the 3.0 beta, Safari only was able to use the OSX system widgets for buttons, text boxes etc.

For better or worse, in 3.0 Safari now follows the lead of the other browsers and displays the styled buttons, etc instead of the OS X system versions.

That's why there's the big difference. You're finally just experiencing the way the site looked for all the unlucky non-Safari users :)

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 pm

We always look at any site from many browsers, but some browsers are worse than others.

I don't understand why Windows IE makes everything twice as big as it is scripted to be and I don't think I ever will. We have a PC to proof sites, although the relatively new machine recently died - I think a new power supply is in order. I must admit that I primarily used it to watch or record tv - much to Stan Austin's dismay.

I am also hating how Beta Safari handles web searches. It's a really ugly interface. I am all for cross-platform compatibility, but not when it includes dumbing down the design features.

New! and Improved!

Not!

Return to “Lakewood Technology”