Paint versus siding

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Michelle Kruse

Paint versus siding

Postby Michelle Kruse » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 pm

I recently bought a Colonial Revival-Foursquare house on Nicholson Avenue. The paint is deplorable, with cracking and peeling, and at least 4 layers over the years. I don't think just painting over the previous layers will help much. Taking the house down to the wood will be very expensive. I am considering quality siding as an alternative. I hate to destroy the "original" look (still has the beautiful original windows) but painting may be an ongoing nightmare for the future. Any suggestions, opinions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Michelle

We faced a similar problem with our home a few years ago. Ours is a tudor, brick first and cedar shake sided uppers. The shakes were in awful shape, blast stripping NOT an option. Thought about residing in new cedar, but it was far too expensive. I refused to ruin the appearance by using some standard siding. Found siding (vinyl) that, while designed for accent use, mimicked the look of the shakes to the point that if I don't tell you, you wouldn't know.

Point is, check out ALL the products available, and I'll bet you can find one that will preserve the appearance, and still give you the maintenance benefits.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 am

Michelle--- Jeff is correct. Check out many different siding providers and look at some of their work. Many vinyl siding designs now are so accurate that they are accepted in historically conscious neighborhoods.
As you describe the current condition of the paint, any new paint job would only last about 3 to 5 years. If you were to remove the paint (very expensive) you would probably be faced with lots of repairs to damaged siding and trim which would also be costly.
Best to go with some well chosen vinyl.
Stan Austin

Michelle Kruse

Postby Michelle Kruse » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:14 pm

I really appreciate your comments. It makes me feel better about not trying to renovate the existing painted wood.

Another query: I love these old windows, with the waves and bubbles,and have very well made storm windows over most of the windows. Most need some repair, but I can do that myself. I know that if I do side the house it will be cheaper to replace the windows at the same time. Do any of you have the original windows? How about replacements? I am so excited to find this forum for my issues with this old 'girl' and know that you all have been there- done that!

Michelle Kruse

Older Houses in Lakewood

Postby Michelle Kruse » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:42 pm

I took a picture of my old house, used a cell phone so it's not very good. I would love to see your homes. Anyone with pictures of a remodeled kitchen would be most intereting.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Michelle

I can't really help you on the window issue. My home was many of those built inthe 20's and 30's with steel Pella casement windows. The only way to deal with them was to replace them....single glass panes in steel frames that get REALLY cold, and as the glass expands and contract, causes crazing and cracks. We had all the windows redone, in stages, with 3 different manufacturers. I wouldn't hit the dog in the a** with the Pella replacements. Great marketing, mediocre window, We used King WIndows on our addition, and they're ok, the others were Eagle and they are great. I highly recomend them.

But, with double hung, wood frame, you have a bunch more options.

Stay true to the home, and the home will stay true to you.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:51 am

Michelle-- Impressive house there!

As to the windows, in addition to what Jeff was saying, there were some very good posts on this thread discussing window replacement. It was about a year ago so Search "Windows" or scroll back a bit.

Stan

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:24 am

We had to replace a steel casement window (luckily a small one) in a bathroom and we got a Jeld-Wen. We could get the light dividers on the outside, inside and between the two panes of glass, so it really looks like the old-style windows. It's nearly impossible to tell that it's a new window and we're very happy with it.

Replacing it was a difficult job because those old casement windows are really in there, but we did it ourselves (with help from Stan). We also had control over how the insulation around the window was handled and we did a darned good job on that!

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”