The View From Ward 2, #3

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call
Posts: 3215
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:10 pm

The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Bill Call » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 am

store feont 2.jpg
store feont 2.jpg (242.6 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
store front 1.jpg
store front 1.jpg (132.09 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
store front 3.jpg
store front 3.jpg (164.62 KiB) Viewed 2560 times


pj bennett
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby pj bennett » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:06 pm

Indeed, the Downtown Commercial area of Lakewood is in very poor health.


cameron karslake
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 am

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby cameron karslake » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Oh, if only Lakewood's downtown had some type of anchor.

One that brought in 1500 jobs and $250 million dollars/yr in economic activity!

Despite the many warnings from fellow citizens, Lakewood's voters approved what you are seeing here.

Why do some people have absolutely no forsight?

The chickens have in deed come home.


Nadhal Eadeh
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 am

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 am

The next stimulus package will focus on infrastructure repairs throughout the United States. It is currently projected at 2 trillion. Some have called for a “Marshall Plan” for U.S. public health infrastructure. After viewing the images from Ward 2 and noticing the empty storefronts, its pretty evident that Lakewood needs stimulus dollars. When the next package comes out, Lakewood’s current leadership needs to push Congress to have those public health/infrastructure investments made in Lakewood.

After the passage of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Obama and Congress were looking to quickly fund “shovel-ready” projects. With that in mind, I know of a huge site in the center of Lakewood that is shovel-ready. Lakewood should position itself as a leader in public health and healthcare technology. Lakewood’s leadership should also start developing a list of shovel-ready projects.

What would Lakewood’s wish list look like?

Nadhal


User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 13200
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 am

1) Community controlled hospital built with large provider

2) EPA project

3) Savannah Farris's Peninsula Project

1 = Health for community in all times
2= Health well being of community
3) = over $900 million in economic development with an expenditure of around $20 million

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt
Posts: 2092
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 am

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:20 am

Nadhal Eadeh wrote:The next stimulus package will focus on infrastructure repairs throughout the United States. It is currently projected at 2 trillion. Some have called for a “Marshall Plan” for U.S. public health infrastructure. After viewing the images from Ward 2 and noticing the empty storefronts, its pretty evident that Lakewood needs stimulus dollars. When the next package comes out, Lakewood’s current leadership needs to push Congress to have those public health/infrastructure investments made in Lakewood.

After the passage of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Obama and Congress were looking to quickly fund “shovel-ready” projects. With that in mind, I know of a huge site in the center of Lakewood that is shovel-ready. Lakewood should position itself as a leader in public health and healthcare technology. Lakewood’s leadership should also start developing a list of shovel-ready projects.

What would Lakewood’s wish list look like?

Nadhal


The current stimulus package designated $100 Billion for new hospital construction and capacity. Mr. Eadeh is correct in his assessments.


Bill Call
Posts: 3215
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Bill Call » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:26 am

The Hospital site will be vacant for years.

The current plan is for retail, restaurants and a hotel. The plan never made any sense but it makes even less sense now.


Bridget Conant
Posts: 2798
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 am

Bill Call wrote:The Hospital site will be vacant for years.

The current plan is for retail, restaurants and a hotel. The plan never made any sense but it makes even less sense now.


Sad, but true.

But now they can blame it on the economic impact of the pandemic, which according to top economists, will push us into a severe recession, perhaps even a depression.

But the fact remains that this project was in trouble far earlier than right now. Carnegie did not want to move forward without more money and “incentives” from the city. They had no signed anchor tenant, or any tenants. The pandemic will be a convenient excuse for why they can’t deliver.


Bridget Conant
Posts: 2798
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:23 am

My neighbor tells me all the “OneLakewood” signage on the fencing around the site has been removed.


Hmmm. They trying to tell us something?

Maybe Fitzy knows something he ain’t telling us.


ryan costa
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:31 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby ryan costa » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:06 am

It looks like the shovels have already been through.
now it needs a lot of pipes and concrete.


"shall we have peace" - Henry Charles Carey
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 13200
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:20 am

Bridget Conant wrote:My neighbor tells me all the “OneLakewood” signage on the fencing around the site has been removed.


Hmmm. They trying to tell us something?

Maybe Fitzy knows something he ain’t telling us.


Perhaps they came up with a much more creative name. Knowing these people, probably something cool like, "OnELakewooD," or "One_Lakewood," or "One Lakewood" where the space is capitalized!

Funny, the entire group is powered by some of the most lack luster thinking available in this community.

Twenty Years of trying, and they always come up with a Strip Mall.

Now they came up with the very hole in the ground they warned us about if we did not transfer funds immediately to the new non-profits.

Of course the very people telling us to hurry, because it would be a huge hole, now sit on the boards of those non-profits.

Lakewood, you know I am not a big "I told you so guy" but damn you sure give a person a lot of opportunities to say it.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
dl meckes
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Lakewood

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby dl meckes » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm

It's just a damned shame that all of that foresight came true. If I was quarantined, I'd want to write a thank-you letter to each and every person who supported the big hole in the ground.


“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
Bridget Conant
Posts: 2798
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: The View From Ward 2, #3

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

Downtown Lexington KY demolished an entire city block of historic buildings when a develop promised a big, TRANSFORMATIONAL multi-use development.

Four years later, they had a nice grassy field to look at.

BD285A9C-93E2-46C0-8404-28B8712B5423.jpeg
BD285A9C-93E2-46C0-8404-28B8712B5423.jpeg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 1782 times




Eight years later they had a hole in the ground after a second developed backed out after digging the hole and getting no further. The city sued to have them fill the hole after pulling out and leaving it.
Attachments
C68868B4-7C80-4B45-9247-2F8AD888FAFD.jpeg
C68868B4-7C80-4B45-9247-2F8AD888FAFD.jpeg (167.72 KiB) Viewed 1782 times



Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 31 guests