More OneLakewood “Incentives?”

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

More OneLakewood “Incentives?”

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:03 am

Article in Crains about One Lakewood have some revelations.

A hotel? That might be nice except on top of Curtis Block Bldg? Look at the rendering. Looks odd.

Then there’s this zinger about “incentives!” Carnegie is negotiating incentives? Seems to me getting 6 acres for $1 and the city preparing the site, including a multimillion dollar remediation, was quite the incentive.

Khouri says he hopes to get building later this year?

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/hotel-operator-joins-lakewood-megaproject

Khouri said he hopes to start building on the old hospital site within the year if the company and city settle on incentives for One Lakewood and the city obtains Ohio Environmental Protection Agency approval to build on part of the site polluted decades ago by the old hospital's laundry.

Michael Deneen

Re: More OneLakewood “Incentives?”

Postby Michael Deneen » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 am

After telling everyone that hospitals are obsolete, Team Summers wants to build a hotel in downtown Lakewood.
They've apparently never heard of AirBnb.

Why would anyone want to stay at a Lakewood hotel?
We are not close enough to the airport, nor are we near downtown Cleveland or the highly convenient 77/480 interchange.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:53 pm

And they are selling the Marriott property on 150th because of all the competition.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:41 pm

I’m questioning the comment about negotiating the incentives.

I thought they had a signed deal. What is up for debate here? We have to give them more to start building?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:38 am

Bridget Conant wrote:I’m questioning the comment about negotiating the incentives.

I thought they had a signed deal. What is up for debate here? We have to give them more to start building?

Marriott Hotel on West 150, on i-71, half way between Downtown Cleveland and the Airport, fails, and looks to be failing in finding buyers.https://www.crainscleveland.com/real-estate/auction-set-month-troubled-marriott-cleveland-airport

Sure seems like lots of people "signing" deals, before the EPA even says the site can be built on.

I'll wait for the signed contracts, instead of listening to the never ending stream of bullshit from the owners of the Big Hole on Detroit.

FWIW

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am

Michael Deneen wrote:

I'm sure the new proposed hotel will have a resplendent "water feature."
:wink:

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:
Michael Deneen wrote:

I'm sure the new proposed hotel will have a resplendent "water feature."
:wink:

On a serious note, last year we had to vacate the house for a couple of nights while the floors were refinished. Being able to stay at the nearby - and safe - Travelodge in Lakewood was a big help. A few weeks ago, we went back to Long Island for a funeral and were able to stay at a hotel near the home base.

I wouldn"t expect a lot of convention traffic, but there's reason enough for a small hotel in the center of Lakewood. There would've been more reasons if we had a hospital.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”