Earth Fare at Westgate Closing

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Dan Alaimo

Re: Earth Fare at Westgate Closing

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:59 pm

And the Lucky at Clifton and 117 is just hanging on.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Dan

Lucky’s is bankrupt. They are in the process of closing all of their stores nationwide, except for 7 that they think they can sell. The Clifton store will remain open Until a buyer comes along. If no buyer, it will close.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm

I keep thinking of my own purchasing habits. First, it's just me-- I am not adding additional consumers. Secondly, I am not eating any more than I was several years ago. I enjoy choice, but my one dollar ain't gonna expand. It's the same one dollar that now has to be attracted to more stores?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Stan Austin wrote:I keep thinking of my own purchasing habits. First, it's just me-- I am not adding additional consumers. Secondly, I am not eating any more than I was several years ago. I enjoy choice, but my one dollar ain't gonna expand. It's the same one dollar that now has to be attracted to more stores?

What is happening has been happening for decades. Crush the small farms and buy them up. Now decades later we are mostly seeing large really large family farms fail for all sorts of reasons like tariffs and loss of places to sell. Meanwhile corporate giants mostly owned by Dutch, German and Ukraine are buying everything for penny on the dollars. Along with that comes limited and more costly items, and they spiral out of business.

Do a search for "Food Security" might be one of the oldest discussion here on the Deck and because lack of real food security the LO started "Lakewood Gourmet Food Network" now known as LEAF. There has to be a way to keep local growers going and responsive to a communities need.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”