Well I See Pollution Issue Finally Makes "Real" Media

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Well I See Pollution Issue Finally Makes "Real" Media

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 am

I couldn't help but notice that "Real Media" has awoken to the fact Lakewood Hospital is no longer there, AND, there seems to be a pollution problem, that "could cost as much as $1.7 million." Well the actual number is closer to $4 million as reported here 6 months ago, BUT and it is a big BUT, it will have to pas re-certification. Now while it seems to be easier for a city to get approval, it does not mean 1) It has been remediated. 2) It approves nothing in surrounding areas. 3) it has not happened, and could cost millions more than they thought.

Actually going through blueprints and speaking with people that have worked at the hospital decades ago, the digging and remediation is no where near the actual location of the "Laundry" which people are still trying to figure out if actual dry cleaning equipment was ever there. They remember it as a laundry. Then there is the issue of all the terrible chemicals Lakewood Hospital used in all 4 locations it was at.

The way I explain it to the young people... Before the crying Indian hit TV in 1971, no one cared about litter, dumping, oil, gas, chemicals or where they ended up.

One of the many points Observers made here back in early 2015, was that it had to be an EPA nightmare.

Oh and then there is the underground river that flowed through it for 100 years, and oh yeah emptied out next to the dump at Lakewood Park that was finally covered up in the early 70s as well. Remember, the crying Indian earlier in this story. It also force Lakewood to cover up there bring it all dump, which is now located under the Solstice Steps. Well actually everything north of the Woman's Pavilion was dump.

Well it will not affect those building there, even if they cannot build. Ed FitzGerald's group has guarantees, and a contract that makes all the residents of Lakewood foot the bill for the clean-up. I believe they even have a multi-million dollar kicker if they cannot build within 2 year, and we are quickly coming to the end of year 1.

Cheer up, the might have healthy ice cream and dry cleaning there. That is what they promised.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
pj bennett

Re: Well I See Pollution Issue Finally Makes "Real" Media

Postby pj bennett » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:58 am

I am absolutely sick over how this project has gone.

Losing a hospital (that was still making a profit, despite the decanting), losing 1200+ employees, losing the city income tax generated by the hospital, shops losing business (not only from hospital employees, but also visitors) and losing the medical community is bad enough; especially with the proof of the underhandedness, betrayal, deceit and lies, that is behind this fiasco.

And now…. present day. A great big polluted hole.

Carnegie Development made quite a deal. A very profitable deal.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Things have changed a bit at the PD since the new administration here.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:16 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:Things have changed a bit at the PD since the new administration here.

Dan

They are fighting for their lives. About 6 months ago they were asking for the Observer help in covering the county. This was after 12 years of trying to run us out of business. They wanted to team up for the big projects, then we could all report it. :roll: :roll:

I mentioned if you are trying to save the Plain Dealer count us in, we need a daily, this other stuff is BS.

Recently they started their text only news service only in Lakewood - FAILED

I am amazed they have any followers in Lakewood what alone the county.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:Things have changed a bit at the PD since the new administration here.

Dan

They are fighting for their lives. About 6 months ago they were asking for the Observer help in covering the county. This was after 12 years of trying to run us out of business. They wanted to team up for the big projects, then we could all report it. :roll: :roll:

I mentioned if you are trying to save the Plain Dealer count us in, we need a daily, this other stuff is BS.

Recently they started their text only news service only in Lakewood - FAILED

I am amazed they have any followers in Lakewood what alone the county.

Let me know when/if it's worth subscribing again.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:25 am

I see the remediation is still on going. When will they get to the area of the laundry and or, the underground river?

Up next, the physics of tea bags and why that matters here.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”