Got a Spare $25,000?

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Got a Spare $25,000?

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:52 am

If you have a spare $25,000 eating a hole in your pocket, you can give it to the Cleveland Clinic and they will provide you with an “Executive Health and Wellness Screening!”

A recent article condemns prominent medical institutions for offering such screenings, which have no proven medical value. The Cleveland Clinic was cited for not only providing this questionable service, but for charging an exorbitant amount - $25,000! The authors raise concerns over disparity of access and the allocation of health care resources and spending on those who have higher incomes.

The comments on the article are also mostly critical, and raise similar questions, including a comment about the amount of indigent care provided by the Clinic.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/924100

bentleymike

Re: Got a Spare $25,000?

Postby bentleymike » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:01 pm

I agree this cost is completely exorbitant. The one argument I'd make for making this a "normal" check up for anyone, is the fact that I know four different people in the last 18 months who have gone through these exams, and were found to have an aortic aneurysm. A normal visit to your cardiologist doesn't include this screening. According to one of these people, his cardiologist told him the most people don't know they have it, and when they die of a "massive heart attack", it tends to be because the aneurysm has exploded, as it's gone undiagnosed, even if they had a normal heart exam with their cardiologist, and they came through all clear. I'd encourage the Clinic, and any other medical institution to incorporate that specific screening into a normal exam.

Around 200,000 people a year get diagnosed, and it's estimated around 1,000,000 people are undiagnosed in the U.S. alone.

Mike Bentley
Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 pm

There are several companies using mobile units that offer scanning for carotid blockage and signs of possible abdominal aorta aneurysm. They charge about $225 and if you get a group together they offer a discount. I know several local unions offer this service periodically.

I think $225 shows that the technology is common enough and certainly within a price range that many could afford.

The Clinic is really good at marketing itself, and this is another perfect example.

But the fact remains that there is NO clinical evidence that this screening saves lives. We all could point to anecdotal evidence - everyone seems to know som anonymous someone saved by a random screening. But further review often shows the person had other symptoms that would have meant the test was indicated.

This is a clear waste of health care resources. It’s done to cater to an elite population and it relies on the vastly overrated reputation of the Clinic.

Again, as some commenting noted, should the Clinic, as a non-profit entity that pays no taxes, be allowed to bring in this money without any corresponding increase in providing indigent care? In fact, the amount of community benefit provided by the Clinic has continually fallen since 2013.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Wait, isn't this something 3-Arches could float. I mean they got our hospital money for health care in the area?

EPA Clean-up at hospital site?

Free Transportation to any hospital?

Hello, 3-Arches? Hello?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Wait, isn't this something 3-Arches could float. I mean they got our hospital money for health care in the area?

EPA Clean-up at hospital site?

Free Transportation to any hospital?

Hello, 3-Arches? Hello?

Lakewood's patient and long-suffering rate-payers will shoulder the burdens of a decade's worth of poor public policy outcomes, fund the clean-up of toxic waste, and build those new town-homes for the affluent out-of-state buyers!

And, bail-out the School District from its scheduled losses.

Good bless America! Truly, a nation of heroes!

We Can Do It!

WE CAN DO IT.JPG
WE CAN DO IT.JPG (205.66 KiB) Viewed 4624 times

Matthew Lee

Postby Matthew Lee » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:

Hi Mark,

There has been absolutely NO levy or tax increase in over six years for Lakewood schools. Last I checked, cost of living for everything has gone up in those six years which includes the cost of maintaining schools and paying for all of those who work at our schools. Are you suggesting Lakewood residents should not support the upcoming levy? Apologies if I am misunderstanding this remark. Cheers,

Matt Lee

cmager

Postby cmager » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Lakewood's patient and long-suffering rate-payers will shoulder the burdens of a decade's worth of poor public policy outcomes, fund the clean-up of toxic waste, and build those new town-homes for the affluent out-of-state buyers!

The Plan: ...build those new townhomes for affluent out-of-state buyers!
Clinic: Perfect! That's a great demographic for our $25,000 "Executive Health and Wellness Screening!”

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am

On a serious note...

We got stuck remediating the site, tearing down the building, prepping the land, taking on all losses, which are passed on the to residents one way or another.

Basically $248,000,000 and counting.

Meanwhile a small handful of people, many the architects of closing the hospital, and destroying the assets ie the Principles, while taking the money that would have paid for all repairs, remediation, studies and to make the community of Lakewood, whole again.

Now if you really care about the 3rd, 4th, or 5th study of bike lanes in Old Brooklyn, that is great, but to stick the residents of Lakewood with that bill is crazy.

So however we watch 3-Arches spend the money set aside to keep hospital profitable, remember it comes out of our back pocket in one way or another.

There is a hole in daddy's city where all the money goes.

Boy I wonder who else is investing in the Old Brooklyn community?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 am

Matthew Lee wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:

Hi Mark,

There has been absolutely NO levy or tax increase in over six years for Lakewood schools. Last I checked, cost of living for everything has gone up in those six years which includes the cost of maintaining schools and paying for all of those who work at our schools. Are you suggesting Lakewood residents should not support the upcoming levy? Apologies if I am misunderstanding this remark. Cheers,

Matt Lee

I am suggesting just the opposite. It is only the Lakewood rate-payers that carry the ball on all of this. I'm talking about the whole ball of wax. Regardless of poor public policy outcomes, the Lakewood rate-payers stand-up and foot the bill.

I remain very curious as to why tax abatement has just been expanded to the private developers. Just before the schools are going to the ballot for a levy.

Pretty neat that the private developers get to optimize their tax efficiency at the expense of the district.

As far as I can tell, most of the previous school board members were advocates of the liquidation of Lakewood Hospital and the conversion of its assets to the private non-profits. Public assets that are now invested on Wall Street for purposes outside of any public transparency.

As you know, I have burned-up more than enough electrons on this forum.

I'm sure that Lakewood residents will vote to support the needs of their school system.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:50 pm

Matt

The facts are, Lakewood cannot afford to say no to the school levy. For many reasons other than Lakewood dedication to education and learning.

I believe Mark and I feel the same on this... Get ready to cover the burden of a small group's lie and misdeeds for a longtime to come.

It would just be nice if some of the players, help the mental health of Lakewood along with our actual health before leaving with the $$$$.

As Mark indicated, many of us saw this as the outcome to the big lie, err hole, errrr hole from the big lie.

Backed to the edge, think about not voting levy in, schools get worse property values dive, new places still not paying load, city and schools fail. Do not approve any city taxes, services get cut more, property values tank, taxes proceed up city and schools fail.

Our civic leaders backed us into a corner, and knew it from day one. That is why there was the rush to do it.

5 minutes of common sense would have let the community know it was all bullshit.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:05 am

I do want to point out that both Laura Rodriguez-Carbone and Robert Bade have each written intelligent and informed articles on the topics of tax abatement and the school levy.

You will find them in the print edition of the Lakewood Observer.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”