Campbell’s Sweets Closing

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bridget Conant

Campbell’s Sweets Closing

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 am

The Campbell’s Sweets store at Detroit and Warren is closing it’s Lakewood location August 3.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Campbell’s Sweets Closing

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 am

Bridget Conant wrote:The Campbell’s Sweets store at Detroit and Warren is closing it’s Lakewood location August 3.

Actually this was in an announcement I made a couple weeks ago. DowntowN has lost two "anchors" in DowntowN, while the "release" claims Hospital, street talk says it was also under performing numbers year round, and another landlord that was looking for more rent.

It will be interesting to see how fast B2B ans Campbell's is filled again. Good news is Sauced is doing OK.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 pm

That intersection has been snake-bitten ever since the X crosswalk was removed.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Damn (a single guy's go to place for a gift if you're invited to an informal dinner---what now?????)

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:That intersection has been snake-bitten ever since the X crosswalk was removed.

Good point.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
pj bennett

Postby pj bennett » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Peter Grossetti wrote:That intersection has been snake-bitten ever since the X crosswalk was removed.

Good point.

I'm not positive, but I believe the X crosswalk was removed for safety reasons. Folks, who are blind, orient by walking in straight lines. Walking diagonally is truly challenging - nearly impossible. Those bumps in the sidewalk (by the curb) tell visually impaired people that they are nearing the street. Provided they walk forward, they reach the opposite corner safely.

There was a X crosswalk at Detroit and Arthur for a brief period. i once assisted a man from the SE corner (library) over to the NW corner (Taco Bell). He was quite distressed because he had no idea the direction he was facing, and was afraid to step off the curb. I called city hall and shared the conern, and the X walk was removed almost immediately.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

In an interview, owner Jeff Campbell specifically mentioned the hospital closing. He says that business is down 30 percent since the closing.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 am

Michael Deneen wrote:In an interview, owner Jeff Campbell specifically mentioned the hospital closing. He says that business is down 30 percent since the closing.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Mike

Sales for the entire year were far off projections and promises. The store was never busy after month 1. The landlord was raising their rent in the extension of the lease, and the owners thought it was unreasonable, and not sustainable. The store was never open when Lakewood Hospital was at capacity, so the cut was due to the same fact for B2B, Namaste, and others. The numbers were not there, and were over promised coming in.

Saturation, falling economy, etc. Hell even Beer Engine has change ownership of the restaurant part of the equation where they are.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:20 pm

I never really got Campbell's in that spot. From a distance you'd think there's plenty of foot traffic in center city, but in reality most of that 'foot traffic' appears to come from parked car to planned destination. Very few emerge from residences on Detroit to walk to places. The lack of a hospital just exacerbates the issue.

Jim, Madison on the east end (from Mahalls down) seems to be doing pretty well. Cars line the streets and fill the park parking lot all the time. What's the consensus?

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Simple, the store in Lakewood was not profitable. This called capitalism and free enterprise, they will continue to do business in profitable areas. Not all the horsemen, subsidies or platitudes of Democrats will be able to put Humpty Dumpty back on the profit wall again. Not to worry, another bar/restaurant/mini brewery with crap tasting flavored beer will take its place and the legacy of Lakewood will continue to pacify the masses who can’t or too lazy to cook.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am

Richard Baker wrote:Simple, the store in Lakewood was not profitable. This called capitalism and free enterprise, they will continue to do business in profitable areas. Not all the horsemen, subsidies or platitudes of Democrats will be able to put Humpty Dumpty back on the profit wall again. Not to worry, another bar/restaurant/mini brewery with crap tasting flavored beer will take its place and the legacy of Lakewood will continue to pacify the masses who can’t or too lazy to cook.

Wow, so filled with hate and misunderstanding.

While it is called capitalism, there were no gifts, grants and loans. Unlike 90% of the business Summers Administration has started. TIFs, loans, $5+ million dollar properties for $1 or $500.

No matter, it was not the hospital as the business above them is moving for the same reason... Landlord wants more money, and the raise will not be covered by the business as it is now. They bought into the Hype, and like all Hype, just bullshit from the same people that told Simply Smokin, "Just the students from Akron University will make you profitable" LIE from City Hall. Or to Namaste "The doctors and visitors to the Hospital will make you rich." while they knew the hospital was closing. When the head Administrator lies, everyone thinks it is OK to lie.

City Hall is broken.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

J Hrlec

Postby J Hrlec » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:21 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Wow, so filled with hate and misunderstanding.

Of course, the thread was like that already before RB responded.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm

J Hrlec wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:Wow, so filled with hate and misunderstanding.

Of course, the thread was like that already before RB responded.

J Hrelc

Always in time to add nothing. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Richard was right. Campbell's was a scotch tape store, especially in that location. And if Campbell's couldn't make enough money to pay what the landlord thinks he/she can get from another tenant, so be it.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”