City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Before the Mayor, The Law Director and City Hall wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting the residents right to see public documents, even after the courts order it.

The spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get Pit Bull out of Lakewood with a BSL law that was ill conceived and illegal from day 1.

The first documentary of City Hall fighting Lakewood residents hits the streets...



"The Great Hospital Robbery" is still being filmed.

Stay tuned!


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Richard Baker
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:06 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:53 pm

With all due respects, any owner of a Pit Bull that hurts my grandchildren would not want me to visit them. There are not enough "it was gentle dog and I didn't know to protect you from you responsibility. No breed of dog ownership has precedence over any child or adult being injured or killed.

It's BS that Pitbulls are kind gentle dogs, they have been known to kill their owners who have raised them from puppies. Pitbulls are not protective dogs like dalmatians, collies, etc they were breed to fight.

A city has the right to ban any breed of dog that they deem as dangerous to the public's life and safely. You want to own a pitbull, go somewhere else to live.


User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am

Richard Baker wrote:With all due respects, any owner of a Pit Bull that hurts my grandchildren would not want me to visit them. There are not enough "it was gentle dog and I didn't know to protect you from you responsibility. No breed of dog ownership has precedence over any child or adult being injured or killed.

It's BS that Pitbulls are kind gentle dogs, they have been known to kill their owners who have raised them from puppies. Pitbulls are not protective dogs like dalmatians, collies, etc they were breed to fight.

A city has the right to ban any breed of dog that they deem as dangerous to the public's life and safely. You want to own a pitbull, go somewhere else to live.



Richard

I realize that as the Observer staunchest Republican, you do not care about laws. They are merely things to use to keep people down and make lives miserable for others but better for yourself. Laws can be ignored and changed at the snap of a finger.

But the fact remains when the law was put in force and during its life, the Ohio Supreme Court had already ruled BSL illegal. Now Lakewood thought they had found a loophole patterning it after a Toledo law that was working its way through the courts. It also went down when on of those being pushed around had enough money, and time to sue it and take it back to the Supreme Court, where it failed.

The reason BSL is illegal is because it is based on looks, not science or facts. Hmmmmm imagining a Republican following a rat down that hole? No BSL like many laws and rules are just to harass the little people and provide another way into their lives, and their information. Nothing more than some extremely weak politicians this case Tom Bullock and Brian Powers to grab a headline and pretend they are doing something for our safety. Meanwhile, they sell the hospital that would treat ANY DOG or emergency for their buddies new strip mall.

They wasted money in fighting it, they wasted money fighting public records case, and that is just the short list.

As I have suggested before, make all dog owners carry an insurance rider. Make not picking up after your dog $1,000 fine like in NYC. Make dog owners responsible. I own 3 dogs and do not think it is unreasonable.

Have you ever heard of a city marketing itself as Pitbull FREE? No because no one cares, another red herring, built on racism and ignorance.

The Republican call outs are payback for the baseless democratic drum beat you serve, that is equally false.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Richard Baker
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:06 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Richard Baker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm not a Republican and I take affront as an independent to the fact that you are affiliating me with either party. I'm an independent and like a critic, I observe the battle from a great distance and after it's over, I run around and shoot the wounded of the party responsible.

Strange Democrats are passing laws against the looks of guns but apparently dogs are exempt. Here is the facts:

2018 analysis and 14-year period summary

36 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2018. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 72% (26) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 7% of the total U.S. dog population.


During the 14-year period of 2005 to 2018, canines killed 471 Americans. Two dog breeds, pit bulls (311) and rottweilers (47), contributed to 76% (358) of these deaths. 33 different dog breeds contributed to the remaining fatal dog maulings.

In the year of 2018, the combination of pit bulls (26), rottweilers (2) and mastiff-type guard dogs and war dogs (4) -- the types used to create "baiting" bull breeds and fighting breeds -- accounted for 89% (32) of all dog bite-related fatalities.
Mixed-breeds had the second highest death rate in 2018, inflicting 3 deaths, followed by rottweilers, mastiff/bullmastiffs and Dogo argentinos, each with 2 deaths. 9 different dog breeds contributed to 36 deaths, including 1 wolf-dog hybrid.


Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Dan Alaimo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:41 am

Richard, it would help your argument if you cited your sources.


"Winning was easy... governing's harder."
--quote attributed to George Washington in the musical, "Hamilton".
If anyone knows the original source, let me know and I will change it here.
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 am

Richard Baker wrote:I'm not a Republican and I take affront as an independent to the fact that you are affiliating me with either party. I'm an independent and like a critic, I observe the battle from a great distance and after it's over, I run around and shoot the wounded of the party responsible.



Yeah OK, hide in the shadows of "independence" as you throw out unfounded attack on Ds. Well where is poor Richard. He's over hiding behind I(s) while throwing stones. Independent BS, son of Trump but embarrassed. I get it.

Proof, A flaming liberal democrat, myself, came up with 3 cures to the dog problem, none of them based on breeds. But based on the problems of owning dogs. Carry financial liabilities for owning dogs. Banning pitbulls Rotweillers or others will not solve the problem.

No life is not as simple as you want to make it. Hate light, believe in dark but hid in the thin grey strip. America is purple, so are the problems.

But back to the point. Did the City of Lakewood have the funds, or the intelligence to take it to the Supreme Court? NO! We didn't have the time money or intelligence to get it to the Ohio Supreme Court. Thank God, cause it would have been a complete waste of time, as they would have thrown it out. So to prove my point, the Lifelong Republican Mayor, and Law Director, were just being pricks, because they thought they could be. Force around little people who didn't have the money to fight them. Trust me I know them, and was there fighting them. STUPID, DULL and UNIMAGINATIVE will define this administration. The worst in Lakewood's long history.

But what do I know I want to make guns illegal. Oh wait, no I don't. I just want responsible legislation, and registration.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Richard Baker wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:Richard, it would help your argument if you cited your sources.


https://blog.dogsbite.org/2019/05/2018- ... ssion.html


"The last time the CDC collected "breed" data about dogs involved in fatal human attacks was 1998."

So what is the credibility of DogsBite.org?


"Winning was easy... governing's harder."
--quote attributed to George Washington in the musical, "Hamilton".
If anyone knows the original source, let me know and I will change it here.
Kate McCarthy
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: Lakewood

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Kate McCarthy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:Richard, it would help your argument if you cited your sources.


https://blog.dogsbite.org/2019/05/2018- ... ssion.html


"The last time the CDC collected "breed" data about dogs involved in fatal human attacks was 1998."

So what is the credibility of DogsBite.org?


Dogbite.org is a disreputable site. https://adbadog.com/truth-behind-dogsbite-org/


Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:Richard, it would help your argument if you cited your sources.


https://blog.dogsbite.org/2019/05/2018- ... ssion.html


"The last time the CDC collected "breed" data about dogs involved in fatal human attacks was 1998."

So what is the credibility of DogsBite.org?


Dogbite.org is a disreputable site. https://adbadog.com/truth-behind-dogsbite-org/


Sounds like the kind of organizations that oppose greyhound racing, like Grey2KUSA.org. Lots and lots of lies.


"Winning was easy... governing's harder."
--quote attributed to George Washington in the musical, "Hamilton".
If anyone knows the original source, let me know and I will change it here.
Richard Baker
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:06 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Richard Baker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm

The problem is there is no real accurate source of stats because there is no universal reporting system. I agree, vested or bias groups are not accurate sources. You have to also take into account the breed's popularity, Pit Bulls are not in the top 30, however, Rottweilers are at 17th. Deny all you wish, this makes the pit bull the most dangerous breed of dog to own. Some may think liability insurance money can purchase the physical and emotional trauma or loss of someone, especially a child, being maimed or killed by a known dangerous breed of dog and exonerate the owner, I don't. Own a known dangerous breed of dog and it injures or maims someone, your fault, dog's fault, act of Goc fault,nobody's fault you go to jail. You want to take the risk of ownership of a dangerous breed of dog, you can do the time.

Last real study I could find is: 2000 study by CDC, HSUS & AVMA

In the 20 years from 1979 to 1998, the breeds of dogs involved were as follows:

Death-based approach (each breed counted only once per fatal incident): Pit bull-type 76; Rottweiler 44; German Shepherd 27; Husky-type 21; Malamute 15; Wolf-dog 14; Mixed-breed 12; Chow 11; Doberman 10; St. Bernard 8; Great Dane 7; Labrador 5; Akita 4; 3 each of Sled dog, Bulldog, Mastiff, Boxer, Collie; 2 each of Bullmastiff, Hound-type; 1 each of Retriever-type, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Terrier-type, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Australian Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Cocker Spaniel.

Dog-based approach (each dog counted, even in multi-dog fatal incidents): Pit bull-type 118; Rottweiler 67; Mixed-breed 47; German Shepherd 41; Chow 21; Husky-type 21; Malamute 16; Wolf-dog 15; Doberman 13; Great Dane 13; Sled-dog 12; Labrador 8; St. Bernard 8; Collie 6; Boxer 5; Mastiff 5; Akita 4; Bulldog 3; Australian Shepherd 3; Bullmastiff 2; Hound-type 2; and 1 each of Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Coonhound, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Retriever-type, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sheepdog, Terrier-type, West Highland Terrier.


User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Richard Baker wrote:The problem is there is no real accurate source of stats because there is no universal reporting system. I agree, vested or bias groups are not accurate sources. You have to also take into account the breed's popularity, Pit Bulls are not in the top 30, however, Rottweilers are at 17th. Deny all you wish, this makes the pit bull the most dangerous breed of dog to own. Some may think liability insurance money can purchase the physical and emotional trauma or loss of someone, especially a child, being maimed or killed by a known dangerous breed of dog and exonerate the owner, I don't. Own a known dangerous breed of dog and it injures or maims someone, your fault, dog's fault, act of Goc fault,nobody's fault you go to jail. You want to take the risk of ownership of a dangerous breed of dog, you can do the time.

Last real study I could find is: 2000 study by CDC, HSUS & AVMA

In the 20 years from 1979 to 1998, the breeds of dogs involved were as follows:

Death-based approach (each breed counted only once per fatal incident): Pit bull-type 76; Rottweiler 44; German Shepherd 27; Husky-type 21; Malamute 15; Wolf-dog 14; Mixed-breed 12; Chow 11; Doberman 10; St. Bernard 8; Great Dane 7; Labrador 5; Akita 4; 3 each of Sled dog, Bulldog, Mastiff, Boxer, Collie; 2 each of Bullmastiff, Hound-type; 1 each of Retriever-type, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Terrier-type, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Australian Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Cocker Spaniel.

Dog-based approach (each dog counted, even in multi-dog fatal incidents): Pit bull-type 118; Rottweiler 67; Mixed-breed 47; German Shepherd 41; Chow 21; Husky-type 21; Malamute 16; Wolf-dog 15; Doberman 13; Great Dane 13; Sled-dog 12; Labrador 8; St. Bernard 8; Collie 6; Boxer 5; Mastiff 5; Akita 4; Bulldog 3; Australian Shepherd 3; Bullmastiff 2; Hound-type 2; and 1 each of Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Coonhound, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Retriever-type, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sheepdog, Terrier-type, West Highland Terrier.


Again

The easiest fix, insurance that can cover the problem. No making breeds or breed err breed-type animals illegal.

Let's not forget this ban came the same summer as tearing down the Basketball Courts. We all know why that was. :roll:


.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Bridget Conant
Posts: 2626
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Bridget Conant » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Why are we arguing about pit bulls? That ship has sailed.

Let’s focus on what we CAN do - clean house and vote in new representatives. Representatives that do not lie and deceive or work for their friends instead of the people of this city.


Dan Alaimo
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 am

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Jim is talking insurance. Bridget is talking election.

The dogs I've had the most trouble with were English Springer Spaniels, on no lists. Yes,
mandatory insurance


"Winning was easy... governing's harder."
--quote attributed to George Washington in the musical, "Hamilton".
If anyone knows the original source, let me know and I will change it here.
User avatar
Jim O'Bryan
Posts: 12659
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Lakewood
Contact:

Re: City Hall Destroying Lakewood's Brand One Stupid Fight After Another

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:Jim is talking insurance. Bridget is talking election.

The dogs I've had the most trouble with were English Springer Spaniels, on no lists. Yes,
mandatory insurance



Best summed up as responsible and accountable dog owners, and responsible, honest, transparent and accountability politicians.

Let bring back the Lakewood of old, no neighbors fighting, and politicians that care more about residents that developers.

.


Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests