The Road Ahead

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Re: The Road Ahead

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:Other Forms of Performance Measurement Can Be Used

Here I compare the grant-making performance of The Three Arches Foundation with peers with similar amounts of foundation assets dedicated to making grants to the community.

Asset Peer Foundation Comparison 2017 -2018.jpg

Mark

This is somewhat unfair for a couple reasons I can think of right off the top.

1) Most of the people on the Board have spent most of their time asking others for money. Unseccessfully

2) They have not found enough friends to give the $$$ to, errrrr non-profits run by friends, errrrrr non-profits.

Give them some time. Look at who they gave $$$ to, supporters of the $$$ grab or with connections. By this time next year they will be buying influence, and all sorts of stuff.

I actually never thought this nightmare could get any worse. Then I read your piece on where they invested. Right now, I would not be surprised if it was in Purdue Pharma, and Soy Bean futures!

You know Grandma always said. "A fool and their money are soon parted." I imagine cutting down on the giving extends the "soon" part longer.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Perhaps Better Performance In 2019

In 2018, we can see that The Three Arches Foundations did not perform:

1. in conformity to "The 5% Rule",

2. in conformity with its own commitment to "The 5% Rule" (4% for certain classes of funds),

3. or as well as some similarly endowed local peer grant-making foundations.

I have corrected the grant total for 2017 in this table:

Asset Peer Foundation Comparison 2017 -2018 v2.jpg
Asset Peer Foundation Comparison 2017 -2018 v2.jpg (146.06 KiB) Viewed 9290 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Two More Comments

1. Other than the identity of the investment adviser listed on the Form 990, I do not have any information about how these assets are invested.

2. My comments solely reflect upon the institution as a corporate entity and not upon any person.

I only have two sources of information -- the IRS Form 990 and the grantee list from the website.

My comparative information is from Crain's.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon May 20, 2019 10:41 am

Snapshot of Priorities, Outcomes, and Resources -- Lakewood 2018

Comparison of Public Policy Priorities and Outcomes - City of Lakewood - 2018.jpg
Comparison of Public Policy Priorities and Outcomes - City of Lakewood - 2018.jpg (262.01 KiB) Viewed 9217 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Wed May 22, 2019 11:14 am

Snapshot of Priorities, Outcomes, and Resources -- Lakewood 2018 -- Updated

I updated this table to include a 2018 grant of $60,000 from LHA related to a transportation study for disabled Lakewood citizens. This may lead to additional future grants from the Lakewood Foundation and/or HLF.

In order to equal the average annual charity care provided by Lakewood Hospital ($6,900,000 per year), our local grant-making foundations will need to up their game considerably in 2019 or future years.

In 2018, collectively, by my estimate, they didn't even hit 10% of that figure ($690,000). They came in at $672,000.

If you have additional figures that I have not considered, I will include them as I go along on this topic.

Comparison of Public Policy Priorities and Outcomes - City of Lakewood - 2018 v2.jpg
Comparison of Public Policy Priorities and Outcomes - City of Lakewood - 2018 v2.jpg (282.98 KiB) Viewed 9086 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

Mark Kindt wrote:"The Healthiest City In America"

Last summer, as the city administration began dismantling Lakewood Hospital, the mayor was quoted to the affect that Lakewood was on its way to becoming "The Healthiest City In America."

In this Deck series, we are going to try and take a look at some of the future healthcare issues in our community.

Becoming the healthiest city in America is certainly a laudable goal to aspire to and to achieve.

Is this goal realistic or is this "goal" just more professional (and quite Orwellian) public relations jibber-jabbering?

Three years ago in December 2015, the City of Lakewood made its definitive exit from community hospital-based health care.

What now?

Well, so far . . . the numbers tell us that this really was only public relations jibber-jabbering.

While the city administration was busy denying public interest lawyers access to public documents and bamboozling the electorate with an official (but bogus) campaign of disinformation, the healthcare safety net from an award-winning public community hospital was shredded to smithereens. ---Whoops!

Next stop: Upscale town homes, luxury apartments, offices, and a bit of misc. retail.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 24, 2019 10:57 am

Hospital Healthcare Safety-Net Dismantled And Demolished For Good

In the fall of 2014, a decision was made not to negotiate with the Metro Health System on its proposal to invest in, right-size, and run Lakewood Hospital.

--An investment proposal that exceeded $100,000,000.

Here we compare a possible outcome (2014) with the actual outcomes (2018).

Hospital-based Healthcare Safety-Net Dismantled - Demolished 2014-2018.jpg
Hospital-based Healthcare Safety-Net Dismantled - Demolished 2014-2018.jpg (247.84 KiB) Viewed 8967 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 am

There was no valid rational public policy reason not to maintain Lakewood Hospital as a public community hospital.

If you don't believe me, here's what the consultant told LHA about a family health center while the Metro Health System offer was pending:
Offer of Family Health Center Is No Material Advantage To Community 9-24-2014.jpg
Offer of Family Health Center Is No Material Advantage To Community 9-24-2014.jpg (171.03 KiB) Viewed 8957 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 24, 2019 12:02 pm

AND There Was No Material Advantage To The Community, Was There?

Here we can see that the magnitude of employment retention just by itself would have fully justified commencing negotiations with the Metro Health System, not just ignoring them.

Job Retention Alone Justified Full Negotiations With Metro.jpg
Job Retention Alone Justified Full Negotiations With Metro.jpg (191.24 KiB) Viewed 8948 times

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Passing on the Metro proposal was the greatest act of malfeasance in this horror show. It may not have been illegal, but should be enough to justify a vote against anyone involved.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Fri May 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:Passing on the Metro proposal was the greatest act of malfeasance in this horror show. It may not have been illegal, but should be enough to justify a vote against anyone involved.

Unfortunately, none of these individuals will actually be on the local ballot this year. (see attachment below)

This is the crux of the problem.

These are the decision-makers who elected to continue to negotiate with the Cleveland Clinic on its plan to decant and to demolish Lakewood Hospital; thus, declining to enter into negotiations with the Metro Health System on its superior proposal to invest-in and operate Lakewood Hospital.

The most important decision in the history of Lakewood this century was conducted outside of normal government channels and riddled with conflicts-of-interest.

No wonder the public policy outcomes are so ineffectual. All the benefits went elsewhere.

No Material Advantage to CCF Offer 1.jpg
No Material Advantage to CCF Offer 1.jpg (143.76 KiB) Viewed 8926 times

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:Passing on the Metro proposal was the greatest act of malfeasance in this horror show. It may not have been illegal, but should be enough to justify a vote against anyone involved.

Unfortunately, none of these individuals will actually be on the local ballot this year. (see attachment below)

This is the crux of the problem.

These are the decision-makers who elected to continue to negotiate with the Cleveland Clinic on its plan to decant and to demolish Lakewood Hospital; thus, declining to enter into negotiations with the Metro Health System on its superior proposal to invest-in and operate Lakewood Hospital.

The most important decision in the history of Lakewood this century was conducted outside of normal government channels and riddled with conflicts-of-interest.

No wonder the public policy outcomes are so ineffectual. All the benefits went elsewhere.

No Material Advantage to CCF Offer 1.jpg

O'Leary is the stepchild of those individuals. And, although he is not on the ballot, remember Bullock is still on council.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 am

Spreadsheet, Calculator, and Pen or Pencil

These are not my numbers. These are all public numbers than anyone can organize for themselves and consider.

All you need is a blank spreadsheet, a calculator. --A pen or pencil, too.

There are are some comparisons that I haven't bothered with because they are too obviously negative, confidential/redacted, or where data is still unavailable or incomplete.

I have tried not to be too acerbic beyond the criticism that appears to be warranted based upon these public policy choices and their outcomes.

We all deserve some honesty about what is really happening and what it really means for all of the under-served residents of our community (so carefully described in the confidential study).

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 am

The Metro Proposal Had A Significant Economic Development Component

Approximately 3.4 acres of hospital property would have been available for the development of a "multi-use community economic hub"

This could have been a healthcare campus!
Lakewood Metro Presentation 9.17.14_Redacted 13.jpg
Lakewood Metro Presentation 9.17.14_Redacted 13.jpg (176.46 KiB) Viewed 8862 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Sat May 25, 2019 10:25 am

Economic Development Opportunities Justified Full Negotiations With The Metro Health System

In this table, we can see that the Metro Health System proposal would likely have had twice the economic and healthcare impact than the decision to close, liquidate, and demolish Lakewood Hospital.

Comparison of Alternatives - Hospital Services and Economic Development 2014-2018.jpg
Comparison of Alternatives - Hospital Services and Economic Development 2014-2018.jpg (318.08 KiB) Viewed 8862 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”