The Road Ahead

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Kindt

Re: The Road Ahead

Postby Mark Kindt » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 am

EXAMPLE: Poor Public Policy Outcome

Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 28, 2019 (p. A11)

"This EPA guidance is clearly telling the public you need to start dealing now with disasters that are being made worse by climate change and will be made even worse due to climate change."

So, Lakewood City Government, how are we doing on Emergency Preparedness Infrastructure? --Whoops!

Poor Public Policy Outcome.jpg
Poor Public Policy Outcome.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 9092 times

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:05 am

Mark Kindt wrote:EXAMPLE: Poor Public Policy Outcome

"This EPA guidance is clearly telling the public you need to start dealing now with disasters that are being made worse by climate change and will be made even worse due to climate change."

So, Lakewood City Government, how are we doing on Emergency Preparedness Infrastructure? --Whoops!

Mark

We know exactly how they prepared. They grabbed the money meant to fix the 100-year-old cash cow our forefathers gave to all of us. Into a pool of millions only they can control.

It has been conclusively proven, they never cared about the health of the city, never, just the foundation money and the land to build on.

Worst administration in Lakewood long great history.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:21 am

EXAMPLE: Recent Natural Disaster In Nearby County

Shelby, Ohio

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/st ... 467729002/

Storm Damage Shelby Ohio -2019.png
Storm Damage Shelby Ohio -2019.png (285.81 KiB) Viewed 8997 times

Do natural disasters happen in Ohio? Is Lakewood in Ohio?

You get my point.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:29 am

Public Safety Forces Know

Keep in mind that, Lakewood public safety employees that attempted to exercise their First Amendment rights to oppose the closure of Lakewood Hospital found their efforts "gagged" by the city administration.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:12 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Public Safety Forces Know
Keep in mind that, Lakewood public safety employees that attempted to exercise their First Amendment rights to oppose the closure of Lakewood Hospital found their efforts "gagged" by the city administration.

This is typical of this administration. Lie, cover-up and gag errr intimidate.

I know of at least 4-5 tornadoes that have hit Lakewood since 1930. The most infamous being the July 4th storm that ended up killing 3. It happened at Lakewood Park just after it had filled with people for the 4th of July. It was written about in the Observer many times including Scott MacGregor and Gary Dumm's graphic representation of it. Here on a recent storm warning from the City of Lakewood with how many days, weeks of trouble another storm caused. We have also had storms, some pictures here that knocked out power for weeks in summer and winter.

Hurricane Sandy storm I believe. Yes hurricane. The rain smelled like sea water for days.

Clifton flooded beyond safe.

Small tornado 2010 I think that went along the cost hitting Rocky River, Lakewood and part of Cleveland. Trees sheared off at roof level. Like a tornado that passed over Alameda in the 40s that effect can still be seen.

Then there is the Highland Avenue, West 117 St Explosion, that went from Clifton all the way past Lorain Avenue, leveling everything.

Two standoffs where the person in the home threatened to blow up the house, one the block with as many as ten tanks of acetylene.

And on and on....

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:47 pm

The EF-2 Tornado in Shelby, Ohio

The tornado that swept though part of Shelby this month was rated as an EF-2.

It was reported to have left a half-a-mile wide swath for 17 miles.

Had it gone through the center of Shelby, it would have erased about 70% of this town of over 9,000 residents.

I've been through thousands of pages of documents relating to the closure of Lakewood Hospital and nowhere in those thousands of pages did I ever see any analysis (or even mention) of the emergency-preparedness value of Lakewood Hospital for disaster planning.

Mr. O'Bryan -- How many trees would be down and how passable do you think Riverside Drive would be after an EF-2 event? How long might access to Fairview Hospital be impaired to Lakewood EMS?

Why doesn't the City of Lakewood have a Public Service Director?

How will money invested with investment brokers by foundations help meet the healthcare emergency needs of our residents during a disaster event?

Mrs. A. M. Brooks understood the value of a community public hospital. How did we become so ignorant?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:15 am

One More Factoid

In 2018, the City of Lakewood sold-off the three emergency back-up generators that served Lakewood Hospital.

Local elected officials -- Please tell the community again that Lakewood Hospital did not serve any emergency-preparedness function for our community.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 pm

The Comfort of Knowing

For all of us who lived through the experience of the May 7th (2010) "micro-burst" storm and Super Storm Sandy in the fall of 2012, we at least had the comfort of knowing that we had our own hospital right up the street.

Cold comfort now.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Factoid---

In 2018, the City of Lakewood sold-off the three emergency back-up generators that served Lakewood Hospital.

I know you are trying to demonstrate the abdication of emergency preparedness with this illustration but it indicates to me a deliberate and conscious effort to sell of plant and equipment. Dated 2018--- what happened to the fixtures and equipment prior to this date?

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Factoid---

I know you are trying to demonstrate the abdication of emergency preparedness with this illustration but it indicates to me a deliberate and conscious effort to sell of plant and equipment. Dated 2018--- what happened to the fixtures and equipment prior to this date?

Mr. Austin, you touch upon one of the great mysteries of the liquidation of Lakewood Hospital. I do not know the answer to your question.

Unless you have time to litigate with the City or CCF for years, you will never know.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Annotated for Mr. Austin With Orange Band Across Chart

Greater than $13,000,000 is my best approximation for the value of the liquidated equipment based on available information.

The public will never know.

Losing Lakewood Hospital - Summary Chart for Stan Austin.jpg
Losing Lakewood Hospital - Summary Chart for Stan Austin.jpg (404.86 KiB) Viewed 8450 times

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:47 pm

AND

Lakewood Historical Society also reportedly removed certain fixtures -- doorknobs (etc.) in 2018. Value unknown.

Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Mark Kindt wrote:Annotated for Mr. Austin With Orange Band Across Chart

Greater than $13,000,000 is my best approximation for the value of the liquidated equipment based on available information.

Is the value of the hospital's bed licenses figured into any of this? I recall that being an issue and heard they were worth quite a bit. I know when my employer closed our nursing home, there was a great deal of discussion regarding selling all or just a portion of the nursing home bed licenses we held. Frustrated that I don't have specifics, but part of the discussion was that the licenses may grow in value, depending on policies at the state level, and could serve as an investment going forward. Just curious if where these licenses landed is accounted for anywhere.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:16 pm

http://publicapps.odh.ohio.gov/EID/reports/Report_Output.aspx

Here is the Ohio site where hospital data can be found. “Beds” are routinely purchased from existing facilities to be used in a new build facility or to add to an existing facility.

If you put in different years you can see hospitals and long term care facilities request the bed transfers and how much they plan to pay. It seems to me, upon a cursory inspection, that bed licenses seem to go for about $150,000 each.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu May 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Mark Kindt wrote:Annotated for Mr. Austin With Orange Band Across Chart

Is the value of the hospital's bed licenses figured into any of this? I recall that being an issue and heard they were worth quite a bit. I know when my employer closed our nursing home, there was a great deal of discussion regarding selling all or just a portion of the nursing home bed licenses we held. Frustrated that I don't have specifics, but part of the discussion was that the licenses may grow in value, depending on policies at the state level, and could serve as an investment going forward. Just curious if where these licenses landed is accounted for anywhere.

The available public information is incomplete. I am assuming that the value of the bed licenses was included in the wind-down value that was abandoned by the City of Lakewood.

The link provided by Ms. Conant might show the reallocation of Lakewood Hospital bed licenses, but the search design is very cumbersome to use.

Searching each of 88 counties year-by-year is time intensive. I checked Cuyahoga and Lorain counties for the years 2013 thru 2018 and saw no entry for the Avon Hospital or Lakewood Hospital.

The loss of our public hospital remains an epic public policy failure.

Crowning that failure with the proposed mixed-use commercial development only transforms that tragedy into a new comedy of errors.

What fools we mortals be!

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”