Barry Buick Closing Down All Operations

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Barry Buick Closing Down All Operations

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Steve Barry Buick, is closing their doors for good this weekend. Body Shop open for another month.

Steve Barry said, "For 9 months we tried to make a go of it, but in the end it was working out. When I asked about plans he said the body shop has work for about a month, and at least a couple months cleaning the place out, but it is over for him at that location.

A couple people have expressed interest in buying the location but nothing to report at this time.

For those of us that grew up here, Steve Barry was a long trusted name, and a great business in Lakewood and supporter of everything Lakewood.

In 1993 the City of Lakewood came out with a visionary look forward and the report started with "We must work at all costs to make sure we can keep all 7 of the car dealerships we have on Detroit Avenue." Well one by one they have all disappeared. Kopeke Motors (Mercedes, Volvo), Fairchild Chevy (GM), Jackshaw Pontiac (Pontiac), Ganley Dodge, (Dodge Chrysler), Lossman Mottors (VW, MG, Fiat, Volvo, Triumph), Spitzer Dodge (Dodge), and now Steve Barry Buick. The end of an era and the glory days of Motoring in Lakewood.

Technically Lossman Motors Body Shop is still a Fiat dealership, with the 1974 Fiat X-10 for sale in the window.

A huge thanks you and tip of the hat to Steve Barry, and his entire family for making a go of it, even in tough times.

Thank you for your support, and wish the best for you in the future.

Stay tuned!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Re: Barry Buick Closing Down All Operations

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:35 pm

I remember when it was a Lincoln dealership in the '60s. We have a LHS Cinema pic from the Class of '67 with our football team captain and head coach at the new Buick dealership.

Michael Deneen

Postby Michael Deneen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Sorry to see it close....the loss of car dealerships has been a blow to the local economy.

Back in the early 1970s my dad bought a Ford Galaxy 500 at the dealership on W. 117th between the current Sapell's and Shell Station.
I think it was called Lariche Ford.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm

I just think it’s funny how when they first closed the car dealership, Jim and the LO were viciously attacked as negative and even liars for saying Barry was closing simply because they were going to try to maintain the body shop and car repair side of the business.

As we now see, they will be completely gone. Sorry to see any business go.

Valerie Molinski

Postby Valerie Molinski » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:37 pm

Bridget Conant wrote:I just think it’s funny how when they first closed the car dealership, Jim and the LO were viciously attacked as negative and even liars for saying Barry was closing simply because they were going to try to maintain the body shop and car repair side of the business.

I don't remember an attack at all. Jim said they were closing- the owners issued a clarification that the body shop was staying open but that the Buick brand was leaving.

Stinks that they could not maintain the garage and body shop, but things change.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24105&p=177848&hilit=barry#p177848

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24191&p=178428&hilit=barry#p178428

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:21 pm

You’re correct. Not much on the Deck, the barbs were thrown on the LO Facebook page.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Don't worry they put up some corporate coffee or donuts shop in it's place for the snowflakes.

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Maybe THIS will be the site for that much-needed pants store?

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am

Bridget Conant wrote:I just think it’s funny how when they first closed the car dealership, Jim and the LO were viciously attacked as negative and even liars for saying Barry was closing simply because they were going to try to maintain the body shop and car repair side of the business.

Bridget

yawn

They called me a liar for saying the hospital was closing. They called me a liar when I said they wanted a Rec Center on the hospital sight. Then the hospital closed on the date I said, and after court fights we found the secret drawings of the planned Rec Center.

They called the Deck mean, when it was members of BuildLakewood that had come on to cause the fights. They called the Deck shallow when it was a mysterious person using a fake name to attack Dru Siley's wife that passed away. Some called us frauds when a member posted a letter they thought was from the Sate AG, some even commenting on it on their blogs before it was ever posted on the Deck!(oooops).

They attack the messengers with rubber arrows.

On the other hand, both Val you and many other Observers have found some of my legitimate mistakes, and instead of attacking, come onto the Deck to correct them and keep the conversation on the straight and narrow. Which is the way things need to be done. NONE OF US are professionals in this. This is a "discussion board" and everyone that keeps the discussion on track, or shares their oopinions and views I value, and we all should.

Back to the topic. The Barry family have given a ton to this community, and they will be sorely missed.

This also opens two good size tracts of land on Detroit Ave. at a time there seems to be a glut of land on Detroit. Anybody have any ideas how many condos can be fit into them? :roll:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:51 am

The shipping/transport company that took over Spitzer has been great from what I can see.... not sure what other type of business could use this space as is.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 am

Paul Schrimpf wrote:The shipping/transport company that took over Spitzer has been great from what I can see.... not sure what other type of business could use this space as is.

Paul

From what I hear they are doing well.

Steve mentioned he had some offers in the works, and I hope he does, they have been good for Lakewood.

I do know there was a unique idea at the time for Sptizer, that had a indoor dog park, vets, a pet store, and laundromat all in one space. When I spoke with the woman, I joked that all she needed was a bar. She laughed and spoke in great detail about her plans, and how they have worked elsewhere. Pointing out that people love their dogs but hate the cold and the heat, so warm in winter cool in summer kept the places busy. Piggy backing the other items brought real value to the project, and gave it increased sustainability. I turned her over to the city.

Not sure what happened but now she is the owner of a large farm in Hawaii! So she had the development money and skills.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Tim Carroll

Postby Tim Carroll » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Was just told of this news a few moments ago, sad to hear.

Good service there, bought two vehicles there and one is still with us down here in Texas. In fact, before we moved here 3 years ago, I had our Buick checked out for the drive down here and the serivce guys all said that if you take care of it, it will last well past 200K miles, well each day I am inching closer to that number and everytime I bring the car infor serivce there is at least one offer to buy it from me.

So if anyone see the Barry Brothers, tell them their name is still on the back of the car they sold us in 2006.

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Shame. I bought a FEW cars over the years from Barry's, including a new '98 Buick Riv, with a coach roof (not vinyl roof), black, black and grey interior. I still see it around. That said, I DO want to remind the readers when Jim was warning people about the potential of Lakewood becoming more like some of the other
"borders on Cleveland" burbs.(It wasn't a bowlful of cherries either). That was YEARS ago...and Jim, you were right.

Mark Allan Crnolatas Sr.
In God We Trust
john crino

Postby john crino » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:03 pm

and why would he trash that Buick sign? Plastic or no I would have paid for that....

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”