This Election Is About 3 Things, And BSL Isn't One Of Them!

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

This Election Is About 3 Things, And BSL Isn't One Of Them!

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am

I see "I'm with Charlie" signs everywhere. I have witnessed the amazing powers and marketing of Greg Murray, and Jennifer Scott. But BSL is not the single issue, it is merely another symptom that underlines what 3 things this election is all about.

They are in order: 1) Government Transparency so that we can check on 2) Government Honesty while holding 3) Government Accountability

They are almost the same thing, with small variations. With Government Transparency, Honesty and Accountability follow. Without transparency, as we have found out, there is no honesty or Accountability.

As I have said many times, Closing the hospital, BSL, Garage Sales, even the Solstice Steps are mere symptoms of a much larger and more serious sickness.

Government Transparency.

This election, take the first step to reset, Lakewood City Hall and the Transparency, Honesty and Accountability they so desperately lack.

Tom Bullock, Cindy Marx, and Ryan Nowlin, will suffer very little from a couple years on the sidelines. I am sure all will stay very active in Lakewood projects.

With three new faces, all that have promised to open the books, the doors and the open honest conversation, Lakewood has a chance to correct the city before it is too late.

As we have witnessed over the past 3 elections, that one new face does not accomplish much. Soon they are brought into the club, and things continue as they always did, same secrecy, same lack of transparency, same lack of accountability, and sadly a growing lack of honesty.

Open City Hall to Sunshine, and they will be able to see, many of the errors they have made, like the illegal BSL Law.

This is truly, the election where your vote can make a difference.

VOTE

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Brian Essi

Re: This Election Is About 3 Things, And BSL Isn't One Of Them!

Postby Brian Essi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:51 am

I disagree.

This election is about only one thing: Accountability!

Bullock, Nowlin, Marx.

Hold them accountable.

Kick them to the curb.

(My apologies to Mr. Buckley)

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 am

Brian Essi wrote:I disagree.

Bullock, Nowlin, Marx.

Hold them accountable.

Kick them to the curb.

Brian

I realize I am speaking to the choir on this, but had they been Transparent, you never would have had to sue and battle for over two years to get what has always been ruled public documents. Had then been transparent from Day one, none of the BS over the last two years would have happened.

Accountability is good, but as you have proven, hard to even get there without Transparency.

The problem is, if only one gets in, it becomes both Chinese water torture for that person, and sooner or later they get sucked into the swamp.

Make 2017 the year we reset Lakewood Politics, and start to clean up the city together, as one all happy.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

cmager

Postby cmager » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Bullock, Nowlin, Marx.
Hold them accountable.
Kick them to the curb.

What is important is the outcome of the vote. If Charlie gets people to vote out the tainted incumbents, then by all means welcome those voters to a coalition to clean house at City Hall. Bundle the Transparency-crats, the Accountabilitarists, and the Charliestas into a force that loses the incumbents and wins. Just win the damn election!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:40 pm

cmager wrote:
Bullock, Nowlin, Marx.
Hold them accountable.
Kick them to the curb.

What is important is the outcome of the vote. If Charlie gets people to vote out the tainted incumbents, then by all means welcome those voters to a coalition to clean house at City Hall. Bundle the Transparency-crats, the Accountabilitarists, and the Charliestas into a force that loses the incumbents and wins. Just win the damn election!

CM

EXACTLY, this was not a slam on Charlistas, great name! But it is something I have explained to many people. No basketball in Lakewood, BSL, garage sales, fear of speaking up, Winterhurst, Rec Center at LHS, and the loss of our largest employer, and anchor in Lakewood, when the only business anyone can count on is medical. Is bad, but it is not made any better or more palatable by City Hall saying shut up and take it. Which is their attitude.

As we are on BSL topics, maybe City Hall could understand while a dog bit can be bad, and they fear certain breeds, everyone fears a mad dog that has gone feral. And right now we have a City Hall that has gone feral, and will do nearly anything to stay in power while shutting down the residents and talk by the residents.

Heal Lakewood, build new bridges, while fixing those that have suffered, bring peace, harmony, love and accountability back to the Wood. This election just say to Bullock, Marx and Nowlin, whew take a load off, sit down, take a break and take a breath, let's see what the young crew has to offer.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 pm

Let's focus on the three we want to elect more than the three incumbents:
Tristan Rader
Meghan George
Brian Taubman

Aside for the reasons Jim gave for voting for them as a group, here are a few reasons why I'm voting for the challengers:

Tristan has put together one of the best campaigns, and campaign organizations I've seen lately in Lakewood. It's been comprehensive from start to finish. Campaign organizing frequently is reflected in effectiveness while in office.
Meghan has solid political instincts and a thorough knowledge of Lakewood. Her father, the late Tom George, was the best regarded mayor we've had since I've been living here. That's worth considering.
Brian has taken numerous bold stands on most of the key issues, some in public forums, many on Facebook. He seems to be exactly the type of person we need on Council, one who will speak out when they need to.

I'm not just voting against incumbents, I'm voting for three talented, ethical young people.

As for the charter, I'm waiting on an answer to a question posed in another thread about the BZA. If no answer, I'm voting against, and I have a mail-in ballot I expect to complete in a day or two..

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:Let's focus on the three we want to elect more than the three incumbents:
Tristan Rader
Meghan George
Brian Taubman

Aside for the reasons Jim gave for voting for them as a group, here are a few reasons why I'm voting for the challengers…

Thank you, Dan. I think affirmative messages have a very important place within this (and ideally any) election conversation. I really appreciate you introducing this, as well as the specifics of your comments.

:: matt kuhns ::
m buckley

Postby m buckley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:54 pm

cmager wrote:
Bullock, Nowlin, Marx.
Hold them accountable.
Kick them to the curb.

Mr. Essi, Apology not Nessa!

Mr. Mager, you nailed it. 

With your permission I would add this.
You want another reason to vote for change? How about the use of that abhorrent phrase "Those People."  A phrase that has been used by supporters of Summers; a manufactured threat that has no doubt informed policy.
It sits there like a foul miasma over the Summer's administration.
Toxic to decency, to diversity, to democracy.
That phrase gets contested by better people. That phrase gets shut down by better people.
Better people than Bullock, Marx, Nowlin.

Vote for change.
Vote for a better Lakewood

" City Council is a 7-member communications army." Colin McEwen December 10, 2015.
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:13 pm

I've recently learned a term for what some here have been calling out: "Structural Racism." For its proponents, Lakewood is a place for some, but not all.

But regarding this election, I thought today about the Mike Skindell mayoral campaign, and how many people said they knew what he was against but not what he was for. Misinformed? Probably. But there's lesson to be learned.

If this campaign comes down to "they are not the incumbents", and "they are for Charlie (against BSL)" as it might for many people, that's not good. If that's all I knew, I would go for the experienced incumbents. We all need to start making a stronger case FOR the three individuals who are challenging. They are strong, young, credible leaders who can make Lakewood a better place for years to come.

Add your own thoughts...

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:48 am

I encourage all Lakewood residents to contact all three of the challengers and ask them if they are for the third charter.

I contacted them and found out that one of the three voted FOR the third charter. Unless you are a Summer's Gang supporter, why on earth would you vote for this charter that takes away our right to vote for tax increases? Why would you vote for something that gives the city the right to continue on with their alleged crimes while their are still pending investigations and law suits still pending.

A vote for this charter means that you are giving away your total rights, as a Lakewood citizen, to the alleged criminals at city hall. Make sure you know who you are voting for.

Remember all the persons that infiltrated the Save Lakewood Hospital campaign? I believe that Ms. Nickie Antonio was one of them.

Beware.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 am

Lori

A good point, all of us should reach out to the candidates and see where they stand.

For me it was about access to public records and accountability. All three pledge to work to make City Hall and council both more accountable, and more transparent.

They also pledge to help us finish the public records request, so that this city can finally understand, what happened and why, so we can move on as a community while the healing begins. It is hard to take a shut up and leave us alone policy now in place at City Hall.

Finally they agreed to revisit many of the laws and new rules on the book, that are based on personal policies instead of laws. Which include BSL.

No matter what, Lakewood is ready for a change, and ready for a younger more vibrant honest City Council.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Where is this document?

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Peter Grossetti wrote:Where is this document?

Sorry ... ^^ this is posted to the wrong topic.

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”