Just say "no" to incumbents this fall

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Just say "no" to incumbents this fall

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:06 pm

It is becoming increasingly clear, council for the most part either does not care about the fraud being perpetrated on Lakewood residents, and care even less about being accountable to residents about what City Hall is doing or plans. There is simple no excuse for what City Hall is doing hiding thousands of public records for years and many voting cycles.

So this fall, we need to say no, and vote for anyone that might allow the public to see City Hall clearly and honestly.

We must not rubber stamp the very people that colluded to hide documents, facts, and allowed City Hall to spend millions of our dollars on spin and lies.

This year vote for accountability, honesty and transparency at City Hall.

I think that is not too much to ask.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Deneen

Re: Just say "no" to incombents this fall

Postby Michael Deneen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:40 pm

I agree that change is needed.
We have three incumbents and three challengers.

Unless I'm mistaken, only one of the three challengers has challenged the status quo.
Tristan Rader has been bucking the party establishment for two years....even to the point of being targeted by "Team Summers" at the Lakewood so-called "Democratic" Club.

I'd like to enthusiastically support Meghan and Taubman, but I have not seen them take any firm positions on the subject of transparency.
Meghan is fine young lady, but has been amazingly vague in her statements. If she's not willing to stand up to Summers now, how can she be expected to do so in January?
Taubman has joined Tristan in opposition to BSL, so that is commendable.
But I'd like to know more.

I hope we hear much more from both of them in the coming months.
As far as the incumbents are concerned, I have heard enough.
They've already shown their true colors.....any rhetoric they provide is just hollow noise.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm voting for Tristan because he has obviously thought through and studied the issues. A voter might raise an eyebrow at a new generation's outlook and involvement in government but I find it refreshing and invigorating.
Stan Austin

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Michael Deneen wrote:I agree that change is needed.
We have three incumbents and three challengers.

I'd like to enthusiastically support Meghan and Taubman, but I have not seen them take any firm positions on the subject of transparency.
Meghan is fine young lady, but has been amazingly vague in her statements. If she's not willing to stand up to Summers now, how can she be expected to do so in January?
Taubman has joined Tristan in opposition to BSL, so that is commendable.
But I'd like to know more.

Mike

I have spoken and am interviewing each one, they are all outraged over the hidden documents and lying from City Hall.

The incumbents seemed o have closed ranks with the scoundrels and schemers that have looted this city.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Nadhal Eadeh

Re: Just say "no" to incumbents this fall

Postby Nadhal Eadeh » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:21 am

1. Meanwhile republican senators from states that expanded Medicaid are up in arms over the potential closure of rural hospitals in their states:

“I talked with the marketing director of the small hospital in Greenville, Maine, yesterday at lunch,” said Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, who has opposed the bill. “She told me that the hospital is the biggest employer in town, with 180 employees, and that it relies on Medicaid for 65 percent of its revenues. It is unlikely that this community hospital could survive the cuts that are in the Senate bill.”

“In addition, if it were to close, the economic blow would be devastating because of the loss of so many good-paying jobs,” she continued. “I am not surprised that those of us who represent rural states that would be particularly hard hit by the Medicaid cuts tend to be particularly concerned” about the impact of the bill."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/us/p ... -bill.html

2. All across the United States, locally in Medina, representatives FIGHT to preserve hospitals and jobs. Not in Lakewood.

Lakewood is run by fake democrats like Tom Bullock:

“It’s been an honor to serve Lakewood on Council since 2008. In that time, our community has experienced many wonderful changes. Lakewood is not just on the right track—we’re flourishing!” said Bullock. “I’m running for City Council to keep this momentum going, to keep these positives changes going, and to make Lakewood the best we can be.”

I want to hear council candidates asking for a third party/federal investigation into the hospital closure. The economic stakes are incredibly high.

Nadhal

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:56 pm

I concur to say "no" to incumbents.

Sadly, even council members that have stayed relatively silent are still to blame. Remaining silent does nothing to stop corruption, and actually aids it. As the old saying goes "aidin' and abettin'".

Of course, there are those among us that complained up and down about the mayor, but didn't vote. If those that haven't voted since 2012 for example still don't get out to vote now, in 2017, they can reap the consequences of not voting. In general, it seems that those with the strongest opinions about an issue don't even vote. Go figure.

Speaking of elections, the possibility of make-believe persons and non-existent addresses being slipped into the voter rolls cannot be ruled out. There is evidence it has happened before, and it is not out of the question that the same could happen again. That is all I have to say on this at the moment, as I am combing through the most recent voter rolls now. I'm sure some of Mr. Summers' comrades will now try to fish for more information or raise holy hell like last time.

I am in agreement that I would like more information from Ms. George & Mr. Taubman, but for now, how much worse can it get?

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:I have spoken and am interviewing each one, they are all outraged over the hidden documents and lying from City Hall.

Did they mention when they planned to say so publicly?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:06 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:I have spoken and am interviewing each one, they are all outraged over the hidden documents and lying from City Hall.

Dan

I believe this will be the second biggest story of the year. City Hall's fight with the public right's to know, understand and see the facts.

Behind the near criminal enterprise known as Lakewood City Hall.

We now plainly see the pattern as the Mayor/Safety Director and the Law Director hire known criminals from their campaigns then to City Hall, then help the convicted criminals to work with political groups supporting the mayor and the cover-up of the hospital debacle, collect information on residents and then act on an enemies list(s?) which lead to intimidation of residents, that continues.

Lying, bullying, intimidation, cover-ups, coffee clatches to try lies, and find out who is a supporter and more importantly, who is not. Then when various members get caught, that is covered uped, swept under the rug, no prosecution needed. Conspired to file false police reports on residents, no need to look at that. Multiple ethics violations, swept aside.Multiple "leavings" from City Hall. shhhhhhhhhh

And everyone on council and many at City Hall during this nightmare now called the Hospital Debacle has been aware of all of this from DAY 1.

Supported it, helped to cover it up, and many like Tom Bullock actively took part. Others up for reelection, just played dumb, like "I did not know that" then not only proceed to explain what they didn't know perfectly, later they get caught in emails exchange revealing their part in the cover-up.

This is just another reason why they will not release computer records, emails, memos, etc. on City owned ie. public computers, done during work hours, even when the courts offered to screening by a court lawyer first!

Even after then have been repeatedly told by the courts, "RELEASE THE PUBLIC DOCUMENTS!"

We have watched and documented Law Director Butler, fight requests for public documents about City Hall, City Hall Business and only City Hall for two years, then expedite to a known criminal, every record they had on "PRIVATE RESIDENTS" THAT DARE TO QUESTION THE MAYOR!

Everyday another one of their friends, and supporters sees what is going on and are getting sick.

3rd biggest story will be the Ten-Years-In Planning $200 million pet store, dry cleaners, ice cream thingy,"maybe" paid for and subsidized by the residents of Lakewood.

Lakewoodites, on all sides, finally seeing, we have been played.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

mjkuhns

Postby mjkuhns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:24 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Everyday another one of their friends, and supporters sees what is going on and are getting sick.

If so, there are plenty of good models for how to make that meaningful. Give an interview. Write an open letter. Show up at a public meeting and speak about it.

I'll readily acknowledge that if one isn't practiced in these things, they may seem very hard. But, again, it's perfectly allowable to draw on examples. (That document which we celebrated on Tuesday did, so no one else should feel ashamed at doing so.)

Getting started is always still harder than waiting. But things don't become better through people getting sick. Things become better through people getting out of their comfort zones.

:: matt kuhns ::
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 am

Unfortunately, anyone coming clean at this point seems like a fantasy. It would seem they think that Mr. Summers' apparent "clout" will protect them. As I have said before, when poop really hits the fan, I suspect Mr. Summers' will only look out for one person: himself.

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:

Dan

I believe this will be the second biggest story of the year. City Hall's fight with the public right's to know, understand and see the facts.

We now plainly see the pattern as the Mayor/Safety Director and the Law Director hire known criminals from their campaigns then to City Hall, then help the convicted criminals to work with political groups supporting the mayor and the cover-up of the hospital debacle, collect information on residents and then act on an enemies list(s?) which lead to intimidation of residents, that continues.

Lying, bullying, intimidation, cover-ups, coffee clatches to try lies, and find out who is a supporter and more importantly, who is not. Then when various members get caught, that is covered uped, swept under the rug, no prosecution needed. Conspired to file false police reports on residents, no need to look at that. Multiple ethics violations, swept aside.Multiple "leavings" from City Hall. shhhhhhhhhh

And everyone on council and many at City Hall during this nightmare now called the Hospital Debacle has been aware of all of this from DAY 1.

Supported it, helped to cover it up, and many like Tom Bullock actively took part. Others up for reelection, just played dumb, like "I did not know that" then not only proceed to explain what they didn't know perfectly, later they get caught in emails exchange revealing their part in the cover-up.

This is just another reason why they will not release computer records, emails, memos, etc. on City owned ie. public computers, done during work hours, even when the courts offered to screening by a court lawyer first!

Even after then have been repeatedly told by the courts, "RELEASE THE PUBLIC DOCUMENTS!"

We have watched and documented Law Director Butler, fight requests for public documents about City Hall, City Hall Business and only City Hall for two years, then expedite to a known criminal, every record they had on "PRIVATE RESIDENTS" THAT DARE TO QUESTION THE MAYOR!

Everyday another one of their friends, and supporters sees what is going on and are getting sick.

3rd biggest story will be the Ten-Years-In Planning $200 million pet store, dry cleaners, ice cream thingy,"maybe" paid for and subsidized by the residents of Lakewood.

Jim,
I couldn't agree with you more on all points.
BUT...
...you didn't answer my question. Two of the three challengers have been publicly quiet to this point on these and other issues. It's great that they talked to you, but when will they speak up, or better, put it in writing?
That will be essential to get my vote, and perhaps that of other community members. Too often we've seen new council members cave to the group think after they are elected.

May I suggest that we coalesce behind a write-in candidate?

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:47 am

Dan Alaimo wrote:
Jim O'Bryan wrote:

Dan

Jim,
I couldn't agree with you more on all points.
BUT...
...you didn't answer my question. Two of the three challengers have been publicly quiet to this point on these and other issues. It's great that they talked to you, but when will they speak up, or better, put it in writing?
That will be essential to get my vote, and perhaps that of other community members. Too often we've seen new council members cave to the group think after they are elected.

May I suggest that we coalesce behind a write-in candidate?

Dan

Next issue of the LO will contain the first part of this complicated subject.

I have spoken with ever member of council but Nowlin, and O'Leary, and all say they are for transparency, honesty, accountability, but almost none of them are willing to speak publicly asking for City Hall and the Law Director to comply with court orders.

I spoke to one member a couple months back and they said, "I didn't even know there was a problem with records? I am not on the legal committee." I asked if they worked on the budget and they said yes, I asked, so where do the millions come from to fight the lawsuit, to hire crisis mangers to fight it, and how does that fit into this tight budget?" They sat looking blindingly into space.

Then I asked about the Mayor and Kevin Butlers practices of hiring known criminals that worked on their campaigns into City Hall jobs, where they went after residents. They said, "I did not know that!" Then I reminded them of 2 meetings we had and at least one they had with another honest member of council, and they vaguely remember something. Then I showed them their email about it. "Oh yeah,,,"

The story is, all three running, are for accountability and releasing public documents in a timely manner.

No one on council up for election is for accountability, honesty or transparency. We have two years of proof on that.

Stay tuned.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:52 pm

All well and good, but to paraphrase a famous episode of Seinfeld, no public statement, "no vote for you."

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Okay, I'm still bothered by George's and Taubman's silence on key city issues, but I have been persuaded of the importance of voting out all incumbents who played a role in the city's recent actions. That means voting for all the challengers.

There were several inflection points in the hospital debacle. The first came many years ago when the city went along with CCF's plan to "decant" the hospital - removing key services that made it less desirable as a medical institution and justifying the eventual decision to close it. But all that was reversible, especially when Metro came along with a proposal to invest millions in the hospital and keep it running. I've been up close and personal with Metro in the past couple months and have developed a very high regard for their personnel and services, so it's hard for me to comprehend this. To this date, that decision to give Metro a cold shoulder has never been explained to my satisfaction.

There's been much more since then, notably the refusal to turn over documents in spite of court orders to do so. There's the money. There's the questionable involvement of previous city leaders who approved of the decanting in the new development plans.

The conclusion has to be to turn out all those who have been involved, and the way to start that process is to vote for all the challengers. My previous thought to write others in will only work to the incumbents' advantage.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:The conclusion has to be to turn out all those who have been involved, and the way to start that process is to vote for all the challengers. My previous thought to write others in will only work to the incumbents' advantage.

Dan

This is the problem we have, we have no choice.

Do we send another resident that wants to help, to Lakewood City Hall crime school? Some kind of weird Chinese Water Torture, drip, drip drip as their morals wash away while they learn the constant wail of lost politicians. "I can't ask City Hall to be honest or respect residents, I need money for re-elections and oh yeah some things for my ward, my city, my county. But first, let's get money for MY re-election and then...," and then we have another Tom Bullock. We have two now, how many more can we handle?

No it would be cruel to replace one, to whoever is elected. But if we replace two, maybe one could stand behind the other and offer a modicum of support for residents and honesty.

But if we could swap out three, not because we don't like them, but we want to try for something different, before it is too late.

Oh, and then let us go back to three years or seven years document retention and easier document retrieval by anyone.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”