Something Important To Observe

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Something Important To Observe

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 am

Crowd from Lincoln dedication.

This week we added three more new schools to the Lakewood community. A very large brand builder for the community, a good brand builder.

This project is because of politicians and residents working together. 50-Year-Committee, Grow Lakewood Committee, Phase II Committee, levies and bond issues. Approved, and supported by the residents and voters of Lakewood. Peace reigns in the Land. Many of the same players in the Hospital Debacle.

An expenditure and a commitment of Lakewood residents of over $150 million + $30 million for the Lakewood Public Library. Straight up discussions, straight up votes, no tricks, no lies, no secret BS.

Many of the same players involved with the loss of the Hospital. The move to a Rec Center, and we are in a nasty civil war. Why?

Secrecy, behind the doors, dealing, planning, sunshine law violations, people having to quit from various things for conflicts of interest and now, a 100% total nightmare that residents not only do not understand, but a deal the city still hides thousands of pages of information, no clear plan or destination, and millions and millions appearing to laundered squandered stashed away where the public cannot see, ask questions or feel like they were told straight anything.

Let's not forget this started with half of City Hall stating, "The Lakewood Hospital is not closing, the Observer is lying."

The city gladly paid $185 million out of their pocket when treated openly and fairly. The City is getting madder and madder that a very small group, lost $350 million of our assets with no explanation, ZERO TRUTH, and intimidation if you are not willing to shut up and take it.

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

City Hall, Mayor Summers, PLEASE reset the debacle, come clean and release the paperwork. We supported your re-election, we are listening. COME CLEAN NOW for the sake of the city and your legacy.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
mjkuhns

Re: Something Important To Observe

Postby mjkuhns » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:52 am

I have gradually formed a suspicion that, on some level, the Lakewood public is still being punished for making "the wrong choice" on the last big, controversial deal/referendum.

I've only lived here for eight years, personally, but alongside events playing out currently I've read some of the history. I tend to imagine that the West End project's defeat convinced some of its backers that they could never again trust voters. That really big decisions could no longer be presented up front to the electorate for its judgment—because that had proved to be invalid.

You make an interesting point that this conviction, to the extent it exists, has not prevailed universally. But it does seem to have its adherents.

:: matt kuhns ::
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:09 pm

I could have been convinced by the deal advocates to support their position if they had taken the time to openly and candidly convince me (and everyone else). But I asked who else was interested, the answer was no one, then the comprehensive Metro offer came to light. I've wondered about the overall justification for this and I learned that health care is changing - health care is always changing. I've heard there is a move to outpatient so we need to be rid of all inpatient - I don't find this convincing. I heard that if we don't act now we'll be left with an empty lot, then they declared the great opportunity the empty lot represents, and further now we will have an empty lot (except for the emergency facility) for many years. And then there's the money.

I could have been convinced if the proponents had made a credible case to convince me, but they didn't. That tells me the deal must be turned back if, for no other reason, it was made in bad faith with respect to the citizens' interests and questions.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Kate McCarthy

Postby Kate McCarthy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Dan Alaimo wrote:I could have been convinced by the deal advocates to support their position if they had taken the time to openly and candidly convince me (and everyone else). But I asked who else was interested, the answer was no one, then the comprehensive Metro offer came to light. I've wondered about the overall justification for this and I learned that health care is changing - health care is always changing. I've heard there is a move to outpatient so we need to be rid of all inpatient - I don't find this convincing. I heard that if we don't act now we'll be left with an empty lot, then they declared the great opportunity the empty lot represents, and further now we will have an empty lot (except for the emergency facility) for many years. And then there's the money.

I could have been convinced if the proponents had made a credible case to convince me, but they didn't. That tells me the deal must be turned back if, for no other reason, it was made in bad faith with respect to the citizens' interests and questions.

Well said and now they start their new campaign with new lies. This is where they lost me for good. Our city's finance director, who I assume has a master's degree in business or public administration, couldn't address the whether the proposed facility was a hospital. Unbelievable then and now.

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Jennifer Pae wrote:

I have recently publicly endorsed the launch of the BuildLakewood.org. I have also been posting on Facebook and the Nextdoor sites as it relates to Lakewood Hospital. And now I'm on the Deck.

Jennifer Pae wrote:I can't speak on the claim that the proposed Clinic facility is considered a hospital. Someone else will have to answer that. Again, I don't represent or speak for the Cleveland Clinic, LHA or Build Lakewood.

I am afraid you can't have it both ways. So you cannot stand behind the claims endorsed by Build Lakewood but you endorse them without understanding them? I have long held your opinion as beyond politics. You don't speak for Build Lakewood so if you cannot affirm a major tenet of the organization what are you supporting? Build Lakewood's position that the proposed clinic is a hospital is made quite clear on their website.

http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13611&p=95887#p95887

Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:38 am

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Dan Alaimo wrote:I could have been convinced by the deal advocates to support their position if they had taken the time to openly and candidly convince me (and everyone else). But I asked who else was interested, the answer was no one, then the comprehensive Metro offer came to light. I've wondered about the overall justification for this and I learned that health care is changing - health care is always changing. I've heard there is a move to outpatient so we need to be rid of all inpatient - I don't find this convincing. I heard that if we don't act now we'll be left with an empty lot, then they declared the great opportunity the empty lot represents, and further now we will have an empty lot (except for the emergency facility) for many years. And then there's the money.

Well said and now they start their new campaign with new lies. This is where they lost me for good. Our city's finance director, who I assume has a master's degree in business or public administration, couldn't address the whether the proposed facility was a hospital. Unbelievable then and now.

Kate McCarthy wrote:
Jennifer Pae wrote:

I have recently publicly endorsed the launch of the BuildLakewood.org. I have also been posting on Facebook and the Nextdoor sites as it relates to Lakewood Hospital. And now I'm on the Deck.

Jennifer Pae wrote:I can't speak on the claim that the proposed Clinic facility is considered a hospital. Someone else will have to answer that. Again, I don't represent or speak for the Cleveland Clinic, LHA or Build Lakewood.

I am afraid you can't have it both ways. So you cannot stand behind the claims endorsed by Build Lakewood but you endorse them without understanding them? I have long held your opinion as beyond politics. You don't speak for Build Lakewood so if you cannot affirm a major tenet of the organization what are you supporting? Build Lakewood's position that the proposed clinic is a hospital is made quite clear on their website.

http://www.lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13611&p=95887#p95887

Ms. McCarthy,

Bingo! That is oldie but goodie between you and Jenn Pae from July 12, 2015, caused me to look back at public records dated July 10, 2015 and July 17, 2015 produced by Butler on July 15, 2016 that related to requests I originally made on August 18, 2015. Those July, 2015 public records reflect a "Communications Strategy" by the Administration and the entire City Council "coordinated" by......conflicted Kevin Butler.....in which Jenn Pae participated and wrote to City Council and others on July 17, 2015:

"You may also know that I recently took to social media regarding my opinions regarding the Lakewood Hospital transition and how they relate to the City’s finances. I’m going to share this piece [Pae's Bricks and Mortar Piece] on the Deck, Buzz, NextDoor and FB this evening:" ---Jenn Pae.

Please recall that shortly before the Pae social media blitzkrieg, I attended one of the first Build Lakewood meetings at Mahal's Bar headed up/attended by City Hall Insiders Siley, Uldricks McEwen and O'Leary and well as Insiders David Stein, Pam Smith.

So expressly advocating for, supporting and endorsing the dark money PAC--Build Lakewood, our dedicated Public Servant Jen Pae was "used" and willingly and actively participated in a "communications strategy" involving City Council and Administration officials coordinated by conflicted Butler at a time (July, 2015) while Butler was supposedly rendering independent legal advice concerning alleged "due diligence" and a proposal that involved the Master Agreement.

Please recall also that in October, 2015 the conflicted Butler also participated in another piece of an apparently "coordinated" "communications strategy" via an email chain concerning a fabrication and adulterated Huron email that was used to unfairly smear Senator Skindell at a PD endorsement interview. Butler and Bullock took the "FIFTH" on that affair:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22806&p=165439&hilit=Bodine#p165439

Finally, please Recall that Gary Rice and others have expressed the belief that public officials cannot legally engage in express advocacy of ballot issues while on the job.

So was it legal for Pae and conflicted Butler to engage in these political activities and camapaign?

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:34 am

I am not as smart or eloquent as Mr. Essi.

I have not gone over thousands and thousands of documents.

Mayor Summers, City Council

The residents of this city have shown time and time again when you give us the facts, when you trust us as adults. When you educate us for the real reasons, things need to move forward, change or happen, we have always shown support, understanding and repaid the trust 10-fold. Look no farther than the Library and Schools.

Where this City's elected government has gone to is, disgusting. All of you.

Please, trust us again, show us the facts and the documents. Help me, Dan, at least 49% of Lakewood, and growing larger everyday we can trust you, and the process.

All I am asking for is what we are entitled to have and know.

Reset this entire debacle, make an honest case for closing the hospital, and release the documents, all of them, Then TOGETHER let's make plans for what ever the future is.

Mayor Summers, you can end the argument tomorrow just by being honest. The ball is in your court. Best Mayor? Worst Mayor? One honest action, changes everything, release the documents NOW!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Twice recently, my name has been referred to here on the 'Deck by others, regarding whatever I may or may not have said, believed, or thought.

Respectful note here please, to all of you: Please leave my name out of your posts in the future.

Make whatever points you want to make without using my name.

I'll make my own points, you make yours. :D

Back to the banjo... :D

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Gary Rice wrote:Twice recently, my name has been referred to here on the 'Deck by others, regarding whatever I may or may not have said, believed, or thought.

Respectful note here please, to all of you: Please leave my name out of your posts in the future.

Bless you.

Last week people were channeling Ken Warren.

So with Gary off playing banjo, I'm sure he wants us to listening to some music. :wink: :wink:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:
Gary Rice wrote:Twice recently, my name has been referred to here on the 'Deck by others, regarding whatever I may or may not have said, believed, or thought.

Bless you.

Last week people were channeling Ken Warren.

So with Gary off playing banjo, I'm sure he wants us to listening to some music. :wink: :wink:

Request already broken on the very next post. :wink:

Corey Rossen

"I have neither aligned myself with SLH, nor BL." ~ Jim O'Bryan

"I am not neutral." ~Jim O'Bryan

"I am not here to stir up anything." ~Jim O'Bryan
Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Nice song choice for these times in Lakewood.

When you use my name, the spelling is "A-L-A-I-M-O". When you pronounce it, the "A" is silent.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Brian Essi

Postby Brian Essi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:10 am

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Image
Crowd from Lincoln dedication.

This week we added three more new schools to the Lakewood community. A very large brand builder for the community, a good brand builder.

This project is because of politicians and residents working together. 50-Year-Committee, Grow Lakewood Committee, Phase II Committee, levies and bond issues. Approved, and supported by the residents and voters of Lakewood. Peace reigns in the Land. Many of the same players in the Hospital Debacle.

An expenditure and a commitment of Lakewood residents of over $150 million + $30 million for the Lakewood Public Library. Straight up discussions, straight up votes, no tricks, no lies, no secret BS.

Many of the same players involved with the loss of the Hospital. The move to a Rec Center, and we are in a nasty civil war. Why?

Secrecy, behind the doors, dealing, planning, sunshine law violations, people having to quit from various things for conflicts of interest and now, a 100% total nightmare that residents not only do not understand, but a deal the city still hides thousands of pages of information, no clear plan or destination, and millions and millions appearing to laundered squandered stashed away where the public cannot see, ask questions or feel like they were told straight anything.

Let's not forget this started with half of City Hall stating, "The Lakewood Hospital is not closing, the Observer is lying."

The city gladly paid $185 million out of their pocket when treated openly and fairly. The City is getting madder and madder that a very small group, lost $350 million of our assets with no explanation, ZERO TRUTH, and intimidation if you are not willing to shut up and take it.

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

City Hall, Mayor Summers, PLEASE reset the debacle, come clean and release the paperwork. We supported your re-election, we are listening. COME CLEAN NOW for the sake of the city and your legacy.

Jim,

I would agree that the City of Lakewood can tout the new schools as an accomplishment, but it may not have been quite the Kumbaya cooperative and open a process that you suggest. The political and idealogical battles over control of education, e.g. secular vs. secular, common core or not, reform of the teacher's union or not, etc. have occurred for decades at the federal, state and local levels. Recall Insider Jay Foran's repeated heckling of then School Board President Matt Markling during board meetings. The familiar battle lines and battles are likely to continue and certain Insiders will continue to maneuver in the shadows.

Recall that School Board member Ed Favre called out Insider Jay Foran on Foran's whining at being exposed on clandestine efforts as news of the hospital debacle was revealed by the Observer.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22279&p=163496&hilit=grandest#p163496

I still hear from many that comment on the flaws in the process of the new schools.

However, I agree with your basic point though--- that this is the "Grandest Scandal of All"

David Anderson has no legitimate answers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 am

Brian Essi wrote:

Jim,

I would agree that the City of Lakewood can tout the new schools as an accomplishment, but it may not have been quite the Kumbaya cooperative and open a process that you suggest. The political and idealogical battles over control of education, e.g. secular vs. secular, common core or not, reform of the teacher's union or not, etc. have occurred for decades at the federal, state and local levels. Recall Insider Jay Foran's repeated heckling of then School Board President Matt Markling during board meetings. The familiar battle lines and battles are likely to continue and certain Insiders will continue to maneuver in the shadows.

Recall that School Board member Ed Favre called out Insider Jay Foran on Foran's whining at being exposed on clandestine efforts as news of the hospital debacle was revealed by the Observer.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22279&p=163496&hilit=grandest#p163496

I still hear from many that comment on the flaws in the process of the new schools.

However, I agree with your basic point though--- that this is the "Grandest Scandal of All"[/quote]

Brian

I never said the schools were without controversy, or agenda. But it was repeated drag into the light, discussed, plays and BS were played, it was digested and we moved on.

In the end, they were accountable, and schools built.

There are two major forms of thinking in this town, and it is not SLH/Lakewood Voters For Progress.

That is but another side show, in the Grandest Lakewood Scandal of All Time.

I find Jay Foran's heckling of Matt Markling for commenting on the "shadow government," less offensive than the disappearing "murder threat against am elected school official" report.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:43 am

Everyone:

While the debate rages on regarding whether it's time for a sing-a-long with our Lakewood banjo just yet... :wink:

There's this old saying, sometimes attributed to Quakers:

"There are three sides to an argument: Thine, mine, and Truth." :D

I am not a complicated man. :D

Not too serious at times either. How serious can a banjo player be? :lol:

Actually, doggone serious. :shock:

I am a supporter of conflict resolution. :D

That means engaging in the purposeful task of working towards a fair and just peace. :D

Anywhere, anytime. :D

When both sides get upset with you, could it be that you just might be doing something right? :D

Anyway, thinking about music, there's this great old hymn..."Only Remembered". Goes back close to 150 years ago, but the words, credited to the great Horatius Bonar, go a long way towards what I consider to be my personal purpose in life.

Here are a couple of lines from that song. Perhaps it is time for all of us to think about these lyrics. :wink:

Only the truth that in life we have spoken,
Only the seed that on earth we have sown;
These shall pass onward when we are forgotten,
Fruits of the harvest and what we have done.

Only remembered, only remembered,
Only remembered by what we have done;
Thus would we pass from the earth and its toiling,
Only remembered by what we have done.

Back to the peace-making banjo... :D
Attachments
DSC06477.jpg
Photo-Courtesy of Alex Belisle
DSC06477.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 5321 times

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”