Ahead at Lightspeed

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Ahead at Lightspeed

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:33 am

Around noon, we started getting calls about a big brown box being installed near Madison. What is it, why, who did it, homeland security? dangerous? So we jumped in the car, and off we went.

We found it was the first Lightspeed box, and I believe there will only be 40 or so when they are done.

How much more would this double be worth as a single with Lightspeed at their fingertips!

While it looks huge on a tree lawn or compared to this station wagon, some day you will be able to get cable TV from boxes like this all over the city.

Some Luddites thought this would be unsafe. Here you have a pretty good view to the light on Madison and the traffic coming.

After that, we were so overwhelmed by the technology that might be in these boxes someday, we thought it would be fun to see what our house might look like with space explorer stuff in our front yards! (These are not real houses, they are only Lakewood "style" homes)

In front of a nice Lakewood Bungalow, Nice! I bet that house wouldn't stay on the market for the whole 6 month average!

Be careful that is close to the tree! It could cost the owner a white $137.00 dot!

Upscale. still looks nice.

Lakewood is a city of porches. Imagine sitting there wondering about all the technology running through the inside! OR on a quiet night I'll bet you can hear the hum. Don't worry, it's not dangerous, they only use the same amount of volts as an air conditioners.

Maybe we should change the name? The Gold Space Coast!

Looks just like a mini apartment! Fits in well.

If this two family was turned into a one family the people on the first floor could go upstairs to see over it.

Maybe we could get trees and learn how to part their branches over them?

This guy must be sad. One in ten will be underground. Nothing cool for him to look at and dream over. They put his wires underground. Luckily for most they pushed ahead with this before Council ruined it with talk, talk, talk.

AT&T said someday soon we would all have cable from these boxes, at the same price we currently enjoy or slightly more. Telephone service, internet, and who knows? With much of this information on these wires being used for AT&T's business or homeland security. I feel like Iraqi Operation Freedom just came home to Lakewood.

Last edited by Jim O'Bryan on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:55 am

Will we be able to paint and decorate them as some communities do with fire hydrants? Otherwise, make mine underground, please.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 am

Phil Florian wrote:Will we be able to paint and decorate them as some communities do with fire hydrants? Otherwise, make mine underground, please.

They were promised as graffitti free forever.

I know one council person Mike Dever was trying to get them to do as many underground as possible. His main concern was the buildup of boxes and stuff on treelawns. Which would hinder safety, house value, and also danfer for kids climbing on them. But as you can see from the first couple photos, no problem with that yet.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:54 am

Last edited by Charyn Compeau on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:04 am

Charyn Compeau wrote:Jim & I finally agree (fully and completely) on something - these boxes are/will be a menace, safety hazard, and property killer.

Charyn

Please do not mis-quote me. I am in complete agreement with AT&T on this. Why over state it. With only 110 volts running to these boxes, they will be no more a hazard than a air conditioner or toaster. We all know it is mostly the AMPS not the volts that kill. What were the amps?

We all know with grounding those are safe to handle in the rain or while standing in puddles. So there is no danger. these are not like the bustop sign that killed a man after being in service for a couple years downtown when a wire got frayed. That was different, I mean when you number is up it is up.

I believe they will look even better when they get the bright red WARNING SIGNS, and KEEP OFF signs.

Just shows what an energized, city, city hall and corporations can do for a town when they plan, work together, study the facts, and move forward.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:55 am

Stacie

Actually they are springing up in Lakewood at a record rate!. I have not seen anyone work this fast since BP drained Aquanitril into a river by mistake.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:22 am

:D JIm--- Would PhotoShop have something to do with the boxes' fast rate of propagation? :lol:

Stan

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:31 am

Stan Austin wrote::D JIm--- Would PhotoShop have something to do with the boxes' fast rate of propagation? :lol:

Stan

Stan

The first three are real photos. The rest are house that we thought looked like house or apartments that would fit in with Lakewood style homes.

Still I have seen three boxes in one day already up.

Between you and I they are hard to miss.

Of course they should be easier to see when they put the mandatory
red DANGER signs on them.

Jim

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Mark Crnolatas

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

With all the technology at our fingertips, CAD etc, at first glance, odd these needed to resemble the little building that used to be out back of my Uncle's farmhouse.

mary b dobrowolski

Postby mary b dobrowolski » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:30 am

Just wondering if any markings show up on your tree lawn before these lovely boxes appear?

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:53 am

Jim,

Something was just pointed out to me by an Akron reader of the Observation Deck.

There is a noticeable difference between the photos of the REAL AT&T Super-High-Technology-Right-Outside-Your-Front-Door box and those of our VIRTUAL boxes placed in front of randomly selected "Lakewood Style" homes.

The real one is killing the trees!

At least, it would seem that way. I don't know. I am no corporate scientist.

Just look at the first three photos. Remember when you were kicking all those leaves off of the cement pad to see if it had a white dot, like your sidewalk? Why weren't we asking ourselves why all those leaves were down?

Is the box emitting some kind of radiation? All this worry about 110 volts, and god knows how many amps. Maybe we should be worried about RADS.

If you look at the photos of the randomly selected "Lakewood Style" homes, you will see that there are no dead leaves piling up around our VIRTUAL boxes. The REAL AT&T Super-High-Technology-Right-Outside-Your-Front-Door box is ALREADY surrounded by DEAD fallen leaves.

Could you put a reporter on this?

Sorry. Never mind. Forgot about that all volunteer writers thing.

Very sincerely,

:wink:

Steve

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Chris Trapp

Postby Chris Trapp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:53 pm

Jim,
Where are the other two boxes?

john crino

Postby john crino » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:03 pm

you should get free att service for life if one of those monsters end up on your front lawn........

Charyn Compeau

Postby Charyn Compeau » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 pm

Last edited by Charyn Compeau on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”