Natural Insect repellent

Lost pets, shelter news, pets for adoption, pet care.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Catherine Butler

Charyn Compeau

Natural Insect repellent

Postby Charyn Compeau » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:39 am

Here is a recipe for a natural alternative to chemical insect repellents. This was provided by one of the members of our breed group that is heavily involved in search and rescue and tracking. This is what they use in the field o prevent tick infestation - but it works equally well at repelling mosquitoes, fleas, etc.

One thing to note - even though the ingredients are natural extracts, the base is essential oils and may cause allergic, or other reactions in sensitive people.

This recipe is not an uncommon combination and references to it can be found online in many places. Please be sure to research thoroughly and test sparingly before using essential oils on you or your pet.

I am sure we have someone in Lakewood that is more well versed about this aspect than I am - Perhaps someone with a shop where we can get guidance and products?

Anyway - here is the recipe I received:

In a 16 oz spray bottle mix a few drops (3-5) of each oil with distilled water
-Peppermint
-Citronella
-Tea tree
-Cedarwood
-Sage
-Rosemary
-Orange
- Pine
-Eucalyptus
-Soybean oil (sold as vegetable oil in the supermarket)

Shake well before applying. Several other owners mentioned that they will spray a paper towel and then rub the towel over the dog instead or trying to spray the dog all over. This allows them the do the facial area without endangering the eyes, mouth, etc and to get well into the groin area (where fleas and ticks love to hide).

Always,
Charyn

Return to “Lakewood Pet Talk & More”