Adopting a Dog

Lost pets, shelter news, pets for adoption, pet care.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Catherine Butler

Bryan Schwegler

Adopting a Dog

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:55 pm

So we've decided that we want to adopt a dog. We plan on checking out the Lakewood Animal Shelter, but is there anywhere else you all would recommend checking?

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:00 pm

There are a number of good places to go.

Are you thinking of an adult dog? Puppy?

Thinking about a particular breed or mix?

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:07 pm

dl meckes wrote:There are a number of good places to go.

Are you thinking of an adult dog? Puppy?

Thinking about a particular breed or mix?

Probably an adult dog, no particular breed other than something not too large since we have the typical small Lakewood backyard. :)

I would prefer a shelter so we can give a deserving dog a good home.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:27 am

Lots of deserving dogs are in local shelters or in local foster homes. Some dogs, like greyhounds, outlive their initial usefulness, but usually don't land somewhere like the APL. They are available for adoption locally - and they are deserving. There are too many opportunities to save a canine life.

Dogs are in shelters or being fostered for a variety of reasons, so it's good to think about what qualities you would most appreciate. Finding a good match is really important - and good for you for thinking about an adult dog!

Since we're big on used dogs or dogs that people threw out, we're pretty sensitive to and enthusiastic about the subject.

Brad Hutchison

Postby Brad Hutchison » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:20 pm

One year ago today, we adopted our dog from an Avon-based rescue agency called Love-A-Stray. All of their dogs are in foster homes, and they host a number of adoption events (we went to one at Avon Lake Public Library) where you can not only meet the dog, but also their foster family. Our pup, Woody, and his litter-mates were accompanied by 12-year-old Jordan, who gave my wife and me a rundown of each of their personalities. That was a big factor in our decision, and she was spot-on about him!

Check out http://www.petharbor.com

Be the change you want to see in the world.

-Gandhi
Steven Greenwell

Postby Steven Greenwell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:03 pm

We got our first dog this past October from the Saint Francis Animal Sanctuary in Vermillion. Fritz is a combination Miniature Pinscher and Daschund...a real loving lap dog and lots of energy!

We started out looking at petfinder.com and found lots of referrals from area shelters.

Good luck, Bryan. After several years of talking ourselves out of adding a dog to our household, we are really glad we have Fritz with us now.

Esther Hazlett

Postby Esther Hazlett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Congratulations on your decision - I'd like to recommend the Cuyahoga County Kennel...they have many of dogs in need of good homes!

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 pm

Esther Hazlett wrote:Congratulations on your decision - I'd like to recommend the Cuyahoga County Kennel...they have many of dogs in need of good homes!

Thanks everyone.

Esther, we were actually planning on heading there on Thursday after work. We already stopped by the Cleveland APL. And if we don't find a great dog o Thursday, we plan on checking out the Lakewood Animal Shelter on Saturday.

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help, we ended up adopting a great dog from the Cuyahoga County Kennel on Friday. His name is Parker, a yellow lab mix.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Congratulations, Bryan!

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:49 pm

The Kennel said he was 2-1/2 to 3 but the vet said he's probably closer to 4. He's pretty skinny now, clearly not well fed for a long time. But he's very well behaved and even seems to recognize some common commands.

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Poor fella. He's in good hands now.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Looks like a wonderful dog! If you see my husband walking our black Labadoodle around town (he is everywhere!) Stop and say hi...I'm sure Indy would love to play with Parker.

Rhonda

Return to “Lakewood Pet Talk & More”