Dogs and Signs

Lost pets, shelter news, pets for adoption, pet care.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Catherine Butler

Charyn Compeau

Dogs and Signs

Postby Charyn Compeau » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:57 pm

On another list I am there is an animated discussion about dogs, signage, laws and liability.

I am hoping someone here could illuminate Lakewood/Ohio laws and precedents where animal signs are concerned.

The basic premise is that if you post a sign that says "Beware of Dog" you have actually presented a situation where if your dog were to act aggressively or heaven forbid bite someone you could be held liable because you had foreknowledge that the dog was viscous or mean.

The debate runs from "Post no signs at all" or you could be liable to beleiveing that it is only the "Beware" signs and that even signs that show a dog performing an aggressive act would be OK.

Anyone have any experience with this from either a legal or insurance aspect?

Thanks
Charyn

Mike Deneen

Postby Mike Deneen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:00 am

Common sense would say that signage should not really be the issue. Trespassing should be the issue.

If you allow someone into your home and your dog bites them, you should be liable, sign or no sign. I suspect the courts would agree.

If someone trespasses onto your property and is bitten, then common sense says you should not be liable. However, common sense occasionally takes a holiday in the legal system, so maybe the burglar could cash in suing you (I have heard apocryphal stories of burglars "getting rich" by suing the person that shot them).

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Return to “Lakewood Pet Talk & More”