Floor leveling via joist fix

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

d drickhamer

Floor leveling via joist fix

Postby d drickhamer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:31 am

Hi everyone, to fix a very old settling issue, no movement in 80+ years or so, does anyone know or have you heard of anyone locally who has pulled up their hardwood floor sistering the joists with new joists to create a level floor surface, then replaced the hardwood? There is currently no subfloor, the hardwood is laid right across the joists. We plan to scavenge some of the hardwood from an area where we expect to lay tile to replace some damaged wood. We'd also probably have to remove and slightly reposition some radiators.

It's mostly a labor/non-technical job, but we're trying to get a ballpark cost from someone who's done it before. Thanks for your help.

David.

Will Brown

Re: Floor leveling via joist fix

Postby Will Brown » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:30 pm

I talked about a similar project with my son, who decided not to do it.

First, with wood that old, you will probably experience a lot of destruction when you remove it, and not have enough sound flooring when you are done to do the whole floor, so a plan to reuse the wood is, in my opinion, overoptimistic.

Second, the top of the floor should remain at about the same level, unless you want to redo all your moldings, doors, and thresholds. The question is how you keep the same top while installing a subfloor, which is necessary to get a solid floor. 3/4 plywood is a good subflooring, and will help minimize sagging and squeeks. So how do you get the space for 3/4 plywood? I think you have to remove that amount from the top of the joists. If the joists are sound, I think the combination of them and the subfloor should minimize the need for sistering, although if you have the skills, time, and money, sistering would not hurt.

We did essentially that in remodeling our bathroom, and the plywood subfloor was as sound as the concrete that preexisted it.

But it sounds like what you are planning will not be a weekend project. I would personally hire a professional who will have the right tools and skills to do a good job, and will know where to get replacement flooring at the best price.

Society in every state is a blessing, but the Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil...
Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:19 pm

d drickhamer wrote:...sistering the joists with new joists to create a level floor surface...

Are the joists really what's causing the sagging? It sounds unusual to me for 2x10 joists to sag, even over time.

When we moved in 10 years ago, it felt like you were walking down hill from our foyer and then up hill towards our kitchen. The 4x6 beam that held the joists was sagging. I jacked it up and it's been good since then. Be careful if you jack up, only do about 1/8 to 1/4 inch a week.

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
d drickhamer

Postby d drickhamer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The main beam was misplaced when the house was built, probably a late design change. When the house subsequently settled, additional posts and beams were added where they should have been, and it hasn't moved since. But the joists are still bowed in the middle and dip down at one end. Guessing about 2 inches high to low.

I can trim the door molding as needed, and mill baseboard if necessary to match the original, so no worries there if it has to be removed. Probably updating electrical at the same time anyway. Prefer to stay away from jacks because it is stable and there aren't any wall cracks at the moment.

Leveling this out by removing the floor and leveling the joists is something the This Old House folks would do in an afternoon. (Then replace it with African Bubinga or something equally expensive.) I don't have the time now to do it quickly, so we're looking for a contractor who has experience with this type of thing.

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am

The guys from TOH edit their camera work and, when finished, leave the area!

Talk with the Lakewood Historical Society, the Cleveland Restoration Society, and finally, go visit the Lakewood Heritage Advisory Board. Call City Hall for their meting times.

You could also talk to the Lakewood Community Development Department and see if they have some advice.

We have a lot of people with a tremendous amount of knowledge around here; don't be shy about tapping into it.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”