What's your need?

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Charlie Page

What's your need?

Postby Charlie Page » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm helping Mel coordinate the Lakewood Home Fair Expo (formerly called the Home Show). In order to bring together local Lakewood businesses and residents, are there special problems or needs that you House Talkers would like to see addressed. For example, I would like to talk to someone knowledgeable on chronic peeling paint (whatever I do just isn’t working).

What’s your need?

Slate roof repair?
Basement water proofing?
Plumbing?
Window repair?
Kitchen or bath remodel?
Electrical?

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Will Brown

Postby Will Brown » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:03 pm

I won't be able to attend the show, but I can think of two skills that are hard to find.

First is someone who does real plastering, which most of us have in our houses. Everytime I call to get someone to do a plaster repair, they tell me that while they advertise they are plasterers, all they really do is drywall (in my opinion, a badge of cheap construction). I've been resorting to doing it myself, but I'm getting a little old for that.

Second, I would like to find a roofer who does raised seam metal roofing, but the roofers I have called deny they know anything about it, or anyone who does it. Apparently something that is very long lasting and damage resistant is not what they want to sell.

Ben VanLear

Postby Ben VanLear » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Certainly those you already suggested (window repair especially)

and here are some of the things I have been researching recently that I think might apply to other Lakewood homes:

-What can be done with my beautiful but apparently useless "Lakewood" fireplace
-insulating an already finished attic when one has knob&tube wiring
-chimney removal (used for furnace exhaust only)
-knob&tube replacement

William Fraunfelder III

Postby William Fraunfelder III » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:20 pm

I'd like more info. on flat-roof (<5-degree pitch), non-shingle replacement, as well as non-invasive, residential solar panel installations. Both federal and state solar tax credits have been extended, yet has anyone ever seen an installer advertise the service?

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:02 pm

WF III----At the show, look up Steve Rowe who will have a booth. He specializes in roofs and this week, I just saw one of his flat roof installations---elegant.

As far as the solar panels, that's probably going to be an emerging industry.

Stan Austin

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:09 pm

1. Talk about ways that we can make older homes better environmental "stewards." What are things that can be done at virtually every level, starting with very inexpensive all the way up to very expensive. Provide ROI on as much as possible.

2. Get someone from refuse to demonstrate effective ways to sort recyclables. Demonstrate what's recyclable and what's not, benefits of recycling, setting up a recycling staging area, etc.

3. Preventive plumbing ... changing washers, hoses, toilet flappers, etc. Schedule replacement, keeping track of part numbers and sizes, etc.

4. Can i save it? Old houses have old stuff ... fixtures, etc... what can be saved? What should be saved? Is a scuffed and worn old sink worth re-enameling? should I try to save the cabinets? Is the slightly leaky fixture saveable and can I do it myself?

5. 10 annoying old house things and how to fix them .. woodwork scratches, squeeky floors, cracks in walls, holes in plaster, etc.

6. Where's the Lakewood Hardware guys? I'm sure they could run circles around this list. If you put the guys who run that place on the stage and have an open mike "community forum," all questions taken, that would be cool.

Some off the top of my head. My wife and I own a 103 year old home and I used to be the associate director of the Home and Flower Show when it was downtown. Good luck!

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”