Recommendation: Leaded Glass / Storm Windows

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Jarrell McAlister

Recommendation: Leaded Glass / Storm Windows

Postby Jarrell McAlister » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:29 am

Howdy -
We would like to install permanent or removable storm windows to protect & insulate several leaded glass windows on our ground floor. The previous owners screwed in plexiglass sheets in the sills, but these are unattractive and starting to yellow.

What recommendations / ideas does anyone have? What have you seen that works?

There is some settling in the house, so a couple of the sills/frames are not totally square.

Thanks,
J. McAlister

Ben VanLear

Postby Ben VanLear » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:05 am

I've been thinking about this for the windows on either side of our front door. They had plexiglass on the inside as well, but it had yellowed and looked crummy. A few neighbors have glass storms fitted externally for those front windows, and while you don't get the sparkle from the cut of the glass as much, that's probably the best option for longevity. Probably any custom storm window place could do them, but I haven't researched that yet.

For the other leaded glass windows on our ground floor we have the original wood-framed storms. I think these look a little better than replacement aluminum framed storms, but they're probably not quite as sealed to the window opening. I think you can get old wood-framed storms at some of the larger antique shops on Lorain, but each window opening is sized a little differently so you'd have to get pretty lucky to find one that works.

So your best bet is probably to just have someone do an estimate for installing alum frame glass storms on the outside of all your leaded glass windows. Hope that helps?!?!

Rhonda loje

Postby Rhonda loje » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:55 am

You guys both need to call the Lakewood Heritage Advisory Board and they will probably come out and take a look at what you have and give you a recommendation on what to do. Sometime the plexiglass holds the heat inbetween the glass and the plex and then the stained glass window begins to bow.

http://www.lkwdpl.org/homepres/

Rhonda Loje

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”