A Coat of Paint.

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Mark Timieski

A Coat of Paint.

Postby Mark Timieski » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:40 pm

It's been a while since the house has been painted. I’m finding that the last coat of paint is sticking to the house pretty well; it’s the coat of paint that was put on in 1903 (about ten layers down) that’s coming off.

Are there any painters out there that specialize in paint removal? Anyone have recommendations?

Glenn Palmer

Postby Glenn Palmer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 am

Paint removal by a contractor in Lakewood will allow for scraping and hand sanding, powerwashing and power sanding are not allowed. That being said We had our house painted last Oct and most of the problem was the same as yours. I had the chemist from a paint manufacture come over to examine what was happening, the problem seems that when the homes were built the lap siding was smoothed out with a wood filler and that over time has begun to fail. His suggestion was agressive scraping for loose paint and to open the gaps that have been caulked shut between lap boards installing lap vents then a full house prime ( because We converted from oil based to latex ) then 2 top coats. The job was worth every penny and I am glad I took the contractor referal given to me by another one of his satisfied customers.

Welldone Painters
Ed Van Der Kuil
216-394-9423

Bryan Schwegler

Postby Bryan Schwegler » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Dee Krupp wrote:Why is power washing not allowed?

Probably because it could blast old lead paint over a much wider area than scraping? That's just a guess though.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”