Fire Wood

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Jim DeVito

Fire Wood

Postby Jim DeVito » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Anybody know when I can get some cheap / free (prefferably the latter) Fire Wood?

Glenn Palmer

Postby Glenn Palmer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:49 pm

If I am not mistaken the city offloads all of their harvested wood behind the dog park at the rear of the sewage treatment plant, it was all you can carry for the price of a sore back. Worth the call to the city.

Joe Ott

Postby Joe Ott » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:26 am

The wood down there is free for the taking. I know several woodworkers who use it for turning project (making bowls and such objects on a lathe).

It's green wood though, great for turning on a lathe, but not for your fireplace, at least not while it is wet. That means very wet - 60% or more moisture content for hardwoods, more for softwoods.

For comparison, the construction grade lumber you buy at home cheapo is kiln dried to around 10-15% moisture content. Still pretty wet. So-called furniture grade lumber is dried to around 6-8%.

If you take a chainsaw down there you will have to split the wood and let it dry for several months. Stack it away from your house so air can flow around it and to keep bugs like powder post beetles away from your house. Also it is illegal (as I recall) to transport Ash due to the EAB problem.

I wouldn't go from stump to fireplace.

Most of what you find down there is oak or silver maple.

FWIW.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”