Fridge plan

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Phil Florian

Fridge plan

Postby Phil Florian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Wanted to get some advice. Our home has two refrigerators. We use the one in the basement to store excess pop, ice, overflow, etc. My wife wisely pointed out that we are using a fair amount of excess electricity to power this and while useful it isn't a daily need as much as a weekly one. I have a guy's night where I typically buy extra pop/beer and store it downstairs. Would I save money by shutting down the refrigerator 6 days per week and turn it on the night before the gathering to cool the drinks and shut it down when it is over? Or is the cool-up phase more expensive than it is worth? Just a thought. Was thinking of trying this and seeing if there is a noticable difference in the bill.

Thanks!

Phil

Jim DeVito

Postby Jim DeVito » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Sounds like something a little googleing could fix. In the meantime my fridge is half empty so you may store some extra beer there ;-)

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Phil-- I think the only way you will be able to make an accurate comparison of the two different modes of operation is to place a meter in between the fridge and outlet. Then run the two different scenerios and make the comparison.

I haven't researched the meters too much but I think they cost under $20.

You might get an answer that is good, scientifically. But, of course, that has to be weighed against the cost of the device against any possible savings.

I would say, however, that many folks in Lakewood are in the same situation- and extra fridge in the basement or garage and wonder if it's economic to run it or trash it.

Therefore, your $20 investment and careful calibrations might help out others. And, maybe the LO can subsidize your research with some beer!!!!!!!!!

Stan Austin

Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Good answers both, thanks! (except the storage option, thank you very much ... :lol: ).

I tried Googling but not much was there but real specific stuff that I wasn't able to translate into practical advice. There is a ton about separate models, what to look for, etc. but not as much on this stuff. There probably is more out there, though, but to be honest advice from my neighbors who might have some real and practical advice is worth more than Google any day. :wink:

I like the meter idea. For $20, that is a great idea and it is likely worth it. In fact, this could be used to study various pulls throughout the hours (LCD monitor, computer, idle TV and Dish stuff, etc.). Do these meters work in practical terms?

I will check with Lakewood Hardware first to see if they might have it. :D

Later!

Phil

dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I might be concerned about mould build-up in that practice.

Metering is probably a good idea to understand your yearly electricity cost for "guys' night in".

However, I'd also do a cost/benefit analysis of the practice.

Your wife may decide to save up and either buy you a small, sleek beverage fridge (the kind with the glass door...) or buy you a cheaper, more energy efficient unit for the basement.

I think there's some value to having your friends over on a regular basis, but I can't speak for your wife or your friends...

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”