Favorite place to get Christmas Tree and Favorite Type

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

David Bargetzi

Favorite place to get Christmas Tree and Favorite Type

Postby David Bargetzi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 am

I miss having them at the Y. We used to walk down and just carry them home.

David

Brian Pedaci

Postby Brian Pedaci » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:58 am

We've done pretty well at the garden center near 117th and Lorain. Seems like a nice family place.

Natalie Schrimpf

Favorite Place to get Christmas Tree and Favorite Type

Postby Natalie Schrimpf » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:59 pm

During the early 1990s, my husband & I would buy our tree at the house on Detroit & Cohasset Place (which was demolished for a "Lube Stop," which of course was torn down for the new Garfield School expansion).

These fresh cut trees were all $14.99 (any tree, one price) & we told many people about the great price. We even had co-workers from the east side drive to Lakewood each December to purchase a tree from this location.

A few years after the house was demolished, we moved to a different street in Lakewood & coincidentally, discovered that our new neighbor was one of the gentlemen who had sold us a tree during those years.

Since that time we've been buying our tree based on convenience factors -- recently Home Depot has been the destination. Although the location is boring, we've been happy with the Christmas tree the last few years.

We highly recommend Frasier Firs! Not only do they lend a Victorian feel to the late 19th century/early 20th century ambiance of our home, but they remain fresh throughout the Christmas season! And they smell great too!

Dee Krupp

Postby Dee Krupp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:04 pm

I have a $10 off coupon for a Christmas tree at Petiti's if you (or anyone) is interested in having it.

Will Brown

Tree farm

Postby Will Brown » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Years ago, in the last milenium, when my kids were still kids, we used to drive to Manners Pine Tree Lodge, 780 Dodgeville Road, New Lyme, 440-294-2444 and find and cut our own tree. It was a long drive, but the place had a horsedrawn wagon to haul you out to the cutting fields, and to haul you and your tree back. They provided saws, as I recall, and they had a tree trusser that compressed your chosen tree into a manageable bundle for the drive back home. The kids really enjoyed it, although there was always a dispute about how tall a tree would fit into our house, and more than once I ended up retriming the tree when we tried to set it up at home.

I think they are still there, and their trees were, as I recall, about the same price as those at the Y, but if you have young kids and the time for an all-day trip, and good boots, it is a nice family venture.

Dee Krupp

Postby Dee Krupp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:47 pm

While reading Will's adventure, I can't help but get the image of the Griswold family cutting down their tree in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!! Now there's a funny Christmas movie.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”