Rain Barrels

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Ruth Sholtis-Furyes

Postby Ruth Sholtis-Furyes » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 am

I got mine at a workshop last year in Stow for about $60 each.
I think the guy who runs them is Jeff Taiclet. Here's two links for some upcoming workshops. Sorry they aren't close to Lakewood but they are the cheapest and best constructed for the price.

Bath OH
http://www.bathtownship.org/Parks%20fol ... rkshop.htm

Saturday, April 18, 2009
Bath Nature Preserve U of A Field Station
Session I - 11:00 am or Session II - 1:30 pm
$60 for 1 Barrel / $30 for Additional Linking Barrel

Walton Hills
www.waltonhillsohio.gov/rainbarrelregistration.pdf
April 25th.

He does sell barrels with no pipe fittings for $10 each. It's the hardware that drives up the cost. These don't leak at all.

Charlie Page

Postby Charlie Page » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:55 pm

The warm weather in the last couple days has enticed me outside to setup our rain barrels and take a few pics (sorry they are mixed in with the foam insulation pics).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35426414@N02/

We don't normally have them setup in our driveway but construction in the fall forced us to take them down. I'm getting around to cleaning up the construction debris and set them in their final place, after the Home Fair Expo.

We are still looking for a few people who would be kind enough to bring their rain barrels to the Home Fair Expo on Saturday, April 25. It would be great to give Lakewoodites a few other options, other than my own setup.

I was going to sue her for defamation of character but then I realized I had no character – Charles Barkley
Melissa Page

Re: Rain Barrels

Postby Melissa Page » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Our home made rain barrels are working well. I thought I'd share the reasons why we decided to install rain barrels off of our house gutter. The urgent need was actually to address those harsh 30 year and above rainstorms that seem to be happening about once a year. We would get water backing up into our basement that runs underneath our house into the street. We've never caught it actually while it happened as it doesn't take long for the water to drain out again. But in some places it looks like an inch of water came in. We live on the south end of Robinwood with a 100 year-old street sewer system that gets overloaded on these big storms. We also believe since our street's runoff tunnels under the high school that the reconstruction/reengineering of the high school will alleviate some of the overload on the system caused by all the concrete runoff at the school (just as they have accommodated at the new Harrison Elementary and Garfield Middle School.)

Two years ago we waterproofed by excavation and a new drain system then laid a new concrete floor in our basement. It's really great extra space and we have since finished it with a tv/play room and new bathroom down there. It would be a shame if water backed up into this space now with the drywall, marmoleum, and cork flooring we put in. Hence, the rain barrel was needed to take some of the burden from the rooftop runoff.

It takes in the roof water from our only back side downspout. Our front downspouts are not running down into the underground drainage system either. (They need to be fixed to run into grass or flower garden instead of our sidewalk cracks!) As Charlie wrote above in topic, we have a dual rain barrel that holds 110 gallons. When they are full the overflow runs down a long extended pvc pipe that allows it to run into the grass away from foundation. I'm looking into doing a rain garden at the end of this overflow pipe.

LEAF held a rain barrel program as part of their new Third Thursday's educational series last month. I didn't hear how it went. This Thursday they are doing another on Food Canning.

Jim O'Bryan

Re: Rain Barrels

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Mel Page wrote:marmoleum

Is this flooring made out of marmosets?

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”