DIY Laundry Detergent

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

David Lay

DIY Laundry Detergent

Postby David Lay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:42 pm

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll ask here...

Has anyone tried making their own laundry detergent? I'd like to give it a try, but I'm way of what the results could be.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:19 pm

:wink: David-- Stick with the regular stuff, things you can buy at the store. You could ruin your clothes otherwise.

But if you insist, get a BIG rock, go down to the Valley, and beat the crap out of your clothes in Rocky River.
Stan

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:39 pm

It looks like it's been done, with good results:

http://tinyurl.com/356zdy

I'm considering the huge savings here!

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:57 pm

David-

This link does provide good information and the detergent will work just fine. You will probably ruin the food processor.

Borax and baking soda are good at cleaning clothes, as is Fels Naptha.

You can find many ideas from a baking soda box or web site to help you make your own cleaners and they work well. It's somewhat comforting knowing what the ingredients you are using are.

You may not realize significant savings from making your own detergent, but you will save by making other choices in cleaning products.

Glenn Palmer

Postby Glenn Palmer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:37 pm

I have sent an order in for the following ingredents:
Fels Naptha Soap
Washing Soda
20 Mule Team Borax

I have not recieved confirmation yet.

I will keep you posted

Glenn
Lakewood Hardware

Glenn Palmer

Postby Glenn Palmer » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Homemade Laundry Detergent:
First Recipe: 3 Pints Water 1/3 bar Fels Naptha Soap, grated 1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT baking soda though!!) 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax 2 Gallon bucket to mix it in 1 Quart hot water Hot Water Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints hot water and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Second Recipe: 1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap 1/2 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer again) 1/2 cup Borax (20 mule team Borax) 2 Tablespoons Glycerin 2 cups water Mix first three ingredients together, than add glycerin and water. Use 1/2 to 3/4 cup per load. This one works best in cold or warm water.

Third Recipe: Water 1 bar grated Fels Naptha soap 5 gallon bucket 1 cup washing soda (Again, Arm and Hammer) 4 1/2 gallons water Put grated Fels Naptha in saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water and add soap. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup washing soda and mix well. As it cools, it will thicken. May be used immediately. Use 1- 2 cups per load.

Powdered Laundry Detergent :1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap 1/2 cup washing soda 1/2 cup 20 mule team borax Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light loads, use 2 tablespoon. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons.

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”