Question on Toddlers.

Have questions? Answers? Experiences to share?

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Charlie Page

Mark Crnolatas

Question on Toddlers.

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:46 pm

How long should it take toe get a toddler out of the house? We have drastically cut back going anywhere because it takes a half hour to get our toddler dressed, a couple bottles warmed in the microwave, etc.?

Can anyone tell me a "smoother way" ?

Mark Allan Crnolatas

Lynn Farris

Postby Lynn Farris » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Brace yourself - it takes about 18 years!

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.

Babies take time. The amount of support gear is mind boggling!!! Car seat, diaper bag, bottles, food, toys to keep then entertained.

The issues change as your toddlers grow - but try to get your young child into and out of hockey gear quickly or to stop talking at swim practice and change clothes.

Then comes the teenage years and they do nothing too quickly there - except when you don't want them too.

The best advice I can give you is to take a deep breath and count your blessings and learn patience. (That and take a book with you places - at least you will be well read.)

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." ~ George Carlin
Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Mark

Sometimes it isn't necessary to take that bundle of joy with you....If you find you're cutting back on activities that you and your wife used to enjoy because of the time involved in bringing that toddler along, perhaps its time to find a good babysitter? I know with #1 there can be some separation anxieties, but it really is a healthy thing for both parents and child to learn that it's okay to be apart for a few hours.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm

I agree with Lynn. I know it is cliche to say but it's true, children grow so quickly. The only advice I would give is always have a diaper bag stocked and ready to grab. Organization is key. Don't worry your not alone, all parents have been through it before.

Maggie Fraley

Postby Maggie Fraley » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:58 am

The responses that you received were in agreement that patience is essential & that's so true! Though "our baby" is in college, there are a few practical tips I remember that can made it a bit easier...

Keeping a bag packed with extra diapers, clothes, books, small toys, dry cheerios or crackers and refilling it when you return, rather than when you're getting ready to leave makes it easier the next time.

Making a joyful game out of leaving if a toddler is resistant..."Where are your shoes hiding?-let's find them", "Who can skip to the door faster?-& let them "win" and then scoot them out the door", "Can you 'help' me carry this big bag?- we'll find a book in there later".

Planning ahead for me & distraction for them are my favorite methods. Most of all enjoy them! It goes so fast...

Maggie Fraley

Postby Maggie Fraley » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59 am

The responses that you received were in agreement that patience is essential & that's so true! Though "our baby" is in college, there are a few practical tips I remember that can made it a bit easier...

Keeping a bag packed with extra diapers, clothes, books, small toys, dry cheerios or crackers and refilling it when you return, rather than when you're getting ready to leave makes it easier the next time.

Making a joyful game out of leaving if a toddler is resistant..."Where are your shoes hiding?-let's find them", "Who can skip to the door faster?-& let them "win" and then scoot them out the door", "Can you 'help' me carry this big bag?- we'll find a book in there later".

Planning ahead for me & distraction for them are my favorite methods. Most of all enjoy them! It goes so fast...

Return to “Lakewood House Talk”