Madison Avenue Directory Project

Madison Avenue Merchants' Association

Moderators: Jim DeVito, MAMA

Melissa Page

Madison Avenue Directory Project

Postby Melissa Page » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:01 pm

One of MAMAs 2009 Project is to compile and create a complete directory of all Madison businesses distributed free to the public. The online directory will be somewhere under the Observer umbrella. And the hard copies can be distributed from all the local businesses and community wide.

One of the challenges of having a Madison business is that you must constantly remind and inform the community that they can get what they need right here within the borders of Lakewood. I attest that it can take a little extra time for that new customer to find that business that offers what they need and then get it in their routine versus the lure out to the big box stores. Both an online directory and handy hard copy brochure-type directory would be a great help.

With the help of the association, city administration, and Lakewood Observer resources this is a 2009 goal. MAMA is currently looking for volunteers and resources to make it happen and hopefully have something by the winter holiday shopping time.

Community resources are needed for this project. Volunteers are needed to clean data provided and organize businesses by category; the designing of the hard copy brochures; and online data entry. Then there is need for donating or raising the funds or services to print anything hard copy.

This item is on the meeting agenda for our Wednesday, February 18th, MAMA meeting, 8:30am to 10am.

Do you have suggestion, ideas, resources, to share? Please chime in here. Or contact Mel Page. If you don't have my personal contact info you can Private Message (PM) me here.

Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm excited to report that the Madison Ave. directory info is nearly complete! We are just making an attempt to get as many websites as possible. But the designing of this directory with 200 - 250 businesses is already being thought out how best to put it together as hard copy format for distribution.

We are looking to have our first go of a directory to hand out by April 25th! To make its debut at the Home Show.

Joe Kaiser

Re: Madison Avenue Directory Project

Postby Joe Kaiser » Sun May 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello,

What's the status of this? I don't believe you contacted all the business on Madison Ave. I know that I was not contacted. Leather Naturally.

Thank you,
Joe

Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Good to see someone is coming around to see what's on the MAMA Deck posts. My attempts to get the MAMA businesses registered and using this MAMA forum has not been so successful. But really all the other MAMA efforts are coming along great. I produce monthly newsletters and we have almost monthly meetings that are working really well. I'll bring you a newsletter and get you upto date. Then if you want to be added to my MAMA email distribution list you I'll add you to keep you upto date going forward.

The first attempt at a complete Madison Ave. directory is complete! I was able to get all Madison businesses names, phone numbers, and business category data put together without having to contact every 270 businesses and services. Between data from the Lakewood city planning and development department and many trips up and down Madison Ave. and online searches it came together. It was further challenging to organize all these businesses and services in a way that could easily be referenced.

I will drop a couple off to you this week. With the funds that MAMA raised from the Home Fair Expo in April I printed off the first 700 copies of the directory. They were passed out at the Home Fair and I've been visiting businesses and passing them out to get feedback. All feedback has been well received and all say the directories are incredibly useful and eye opening as to all that Madison has to offer. Therefore, with funds that remain from the Home Fair (registration fees from participating Home Fair businesses) and others, I am gearing up to have another 3000 printed in time for the June 13th ArtWalk on Madison. At that time I will definitely get copies in every store front I can to distribute.

The directory will continue to be updated and printed annually in April going forward.

Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Again in March 2010, with the help of the left over funds raised from the MAMA Lakewood Home Fair Expo exhibitor registrations, 4000 new Madison Business Directories were printed. Like last year, they were debuted at the Home Fair. This was the 2nd annual directory. The directory was updated to be current with some stores closing and new businesses opened on Madison. The Home Fair Expo exhibitors were added to the back of the directory which is a bonus for the exhibitors and Lakewood residents.

Some directories are still in storefronts, but I'd say there is only 100 left out there. Madison Branch library, bela dubby, and Lakewood Hardware I know still have some left.

Return to “MAMA”