Let's dream. What do you wish for Madison Avenue?

Madison Avenue Merchants' Association

Moderators: Jim DeVito, MAMA

Melissa Page

Let's dream. What do you wish for Madison Avenue?

Postby Melissa Page » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Hardly a day goes by I don't travel and/or make a stop on Madison Avenue. And it intersects with over 40 residential streets just like mine. And if you are a business owner surely you have a dream for your business in relation to an ideal location. Here is a sampling to get the ideas flowing:

Equal activity between pedestrian, biking, and automobile activity on the streetscape.

Streetscape outdoor cafe and restaurant seating.

Long term economic development that keeps parking lots out of sight of the streetscape.

Share yours!

Heidi Hilty

Postby Heidi Hilty » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Mel,
I just wanted to say that today my husband and I took some watercolors to Custom Frame Shop (not sure that's the right name!?) on Madison. The owners, Patty & Mark Jenks, are just the best. They have framed almost every piece of art in our home. Patty has a terrific eye, makes great suggestions, and the finished product is always amazing. And they are reasonably priced. We recommend them without reservation - one of Lakewood's gems.
Heidi

"from the moment we open our eyes,
there is beauty to behold."
Melissa Page

Postby Melissa Page » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks for the information. Compiling a complete directory of all Madison businesses (and eventually including all Lakewood businesses) as a long time local customer is not so much a dream of mine anymore but will soon become a reality!

One of the challenges of having a Madison business is that you must constantly remind and inform the community that they can get what they need right here within the borders of Lakewood. I attest that it can take a little extra time for that new customer to find that business that offers what they need and then get it in their routine versus the lure out to the big box stores. Both an online directory and handy hard copy brochure-type directory would be a great help. The online directory will be somewhere under the Observer umbrella. And the hard copies can be distributed from all the local businesses and community wide.

With the help of the association, city administration, and Lakewood Observer resources this is a 2009 realistic goal. MAMA is currently looking for volunteers and resources to make it happen and hopefully have something by the winter holiday shopping time.

That leads me to start a new topic specifically to discuss the directory project. Please go to the directory project topic for more on this.

Keep the comments and ideas coming!

Return to “MAMA”