ANNOUNCEMENT: New Logo for Downtown Lakewood

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:38 pm

On the LakewoodAlive site it states that they have "adopted" the logo.

Meaning? Is it a done deal?

Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Ms. Crampton

May I ask why a group of Lakewoodites who are concerned with promoting Lakewood and encouraging Lakewood development would select a designer/agency from outside of Lakewood?

Was there a list of potential candidates? Were there any Lakewood firms or artists considered for this job?

I understand that Lakewood has many designers, graphic artists, advertising experts, etc. Couldn't find one?

Mary Anne Crampton

Postby Mary Anne Crampton » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Try this for the streetscape plan:

http://www.mainstreetlakewod.org/DetroitStreetscape.html

A couple of points of clarification:

The Downtown Lakewood logo (with the arch) is the new logo for the Downtown Lakewood revitalization program of LakewoodAlive. We will be using this logo when promoting all our downtown Lakewood events, e.g., Walk+Roll, Light Up Lakewood, Spooky Pooch Parade, etc. (It replaces the blue streetcar image with Main Street Lakewood script.) The volunteer committee selected this logo for the program, and the LakewoodAlive board of trustees approved it last Wednesday.

We are dropping "Main Street" since it was confusing to too many residents and visitors alike. LakewoodAlive is still using the National Main Street principals to guide our efforts. We are still a "Main Street" community. We just don't think it makes sense to give our downtown a different name. Let's call it what it is.

There are several elements from that logo design effort will be incorporated into the signs. Some of them are on display in the window of the LakewoodAlive office across the street from Geiger's. Come take a look.

The logo is Phase I of 4 in this 16 month project. There is much work to be done before the final signage design is complete. The background color of new street signs is one element that we thought would be good to get public feedback on.

Let us know what color you think would work best in the downtown environment. http://www.lakewodalive.com

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Mary Anne Crampton wrote: (It replaces the blue streetcar image with Main Street Lakewood script.)

Let us know what color you think would work best in the downtown environment. http://www.lakewoodalive.com

Mary Ann

You just won me over.

I hate to see the old logo go. :roll:
It was a nightmare to work with!

I would still like to see it in green, as it underlines the "green" we are trying
to achieve in this city.

Thanks again for starting the discussion and bringing it here.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm

Extraordinarily stimulating discussion. To what end?

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Extraordinarily stimulating discussion. To what end?

Maybe you can get another free shirt. :wink:

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Stan - for my part, I want to know how these efforts are going to impact our community. I want to know the plan and the budget and the underlying reasons why.

When I want to know I ask.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:28 pm

I have no comment about the design except, DON'T USE BLUE! Cleveland signs are blue.

I read the Crampton post with interest, but I must admit that I don’t really understand what this signage is supposed to achieve. It makes me wish that I had been at the community meeting, just to understand the mission. I looked for answers in what appears to be the LakewoodAlive mission statement, but I’m still adrift.

Mary Anne Crampton wrote:LakewoodAlive is a nonprofit economic development organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of residents by creating alliances with community leaders, leveraging community assets and expanding the pool of available resources to facilitate economic stability and growth in Lakewood, Ohio.

Anyway, it seems like a lot of people have invested considerable time and money in this project. Good luck. I hope your results exceed your expectations.

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Diane Helbig

Postby Diane Helbig » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Jim O'Bryan wrote:Grace

Not the paddlewheel at Cedar Point, in fact it is almost a exact copy of Geiger's Logo, which was done by an award winning Lakewood designer. I have an early version that we did for Geiger's and that designer it is almost identical down to the features at the top of the sign, and exact same font.

That's what it looks like!! I knew the design looked familiar but couldn't put my finger on it! Thanks for the nudge to the old noggin Jim.

Diane Hope Helbig
Grace O'Malley

Postby Grace O'Malley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Can someone post a pic of the Geiger's logo or a link to where it can be seen?

Stephen Eisel

Postby Stephen Eisel » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:20 pm

I applaud the efforts of lakewoodalive.com. Great Job!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Grace O'Malley wrote:Can someone post a pic of the Geiger's logo or a link to where it can be seen?

This would be the latest version.

I have dug out the Geiger's Pendelton logo, and the one that is
most similar later.

In all "Geiger's" would be the large type as it is the brand, Pendelton,
Clothing, etc are smaller as they are the "part" of Geigers.

Denny Wendell is also responsible for most of what you have seen from Malley's over the years and the Lakewood Schools logo. Denny is one of the best designers I have had the pleasure to work with.

You can now see his work in the Westlake Bay Observer

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm

OH how I dislike adding dissention to the 'Deck... :shock:

Particularly with respect to that all-too subjective subject of artwork. :shock:

But that main logo thing reminds me of that bridge-to-Rocky-River trestle look, as was once mentioned by someone with respect to the Chamber of Commerce logo. :shock:

I too, have trouble with the lilliputan "Lakewood" seemingly added as an afterthought at the bottom of those "DOWNTOWN" signs.... :shock:

And these signs just look so doggoned..retro-SQUARE to me (OK, maybe rectangular)

So much like ariving at a old-fashioned theme park too....

At least the old swirly Lakewood logo had a stylized flair to it...

And, not to beat a dead horse here, but to think people'll probably be draggin' dumpsters to the curb, when $75k and more of city money is goin towards preppin' pretty(?) signs and cosmetic development?

With all due respect for Mary Anne, and the hard work that she puts into all this stuff, I hope somebody's happy, but that somebody's not me. :roll:

What color should those signs be? :shock:

Well, River's got the maroon thing goin', Cleveland's blue... :(

Maybe we could save money and just grab our crayon boxes... :D

I'm thinkin' maybe burnt umber or sea foam green. :roll:

At least it won't be hard to color insided the lines. :roll:

sharon kinsella

Postby sharon kinsella » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Certainly not defending any expenditures, but I think this is NOACA money, not city money, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

And Gary, don't worry about dissension. We don't all have to agree with everything, this is our town too buddy.

The logo looks like one of those tops to a front door, I can't remember what they're called.

If we're on the verge of something new, this to me is disappointing. I've done a lot of PR work and this doesn't grab me. Maybe some people think it's safe, maybe some think it's beautiful, I get no sense of what it's trying to portray as far as a brand.

I'm somewhat guilty for not attending those meetings, but I was very sick and couldn't. I still don't understand what the reason is for all of this is. If it's economic development what kind, what stage is the process at. Is the funding for stage one and what is stage one. There seemed to be an overlay, but I still have no feel for this.

"When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid." - Audre Lorde
dl meckes

Postby dl meckes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 pm

I also noticed that the orientation of DowntowN lettering makes it look like the Rocky River bridge (on the street signs).

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”