"Share the Road" now law in Lakewood....

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Corey Rossen

Postby Corey Rossen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 am

I like the idea of the signs. I think that they look great and really take the attention away from the rumble in the first picture.

Corey

David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:52 am

This is fantastic. Thank you Tim and all at BikeLakewood for advocating safe biking.

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
David Lay

Postby David Lay » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Tim Liston wrote:David how do you manage to be car free without a crumple zone to protect you day and night? More power to you you’re a braver man than me (or you have zero children to haul around)….

Well, I don't have any children...yet. But I'm sure with the pending nuptials that will change...

New Website/Blog: dlayphoto.com
Joe Whisman

Postby Joe Whisman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:18 am

I am glad to have share the road signs. It will give me something to read as I wait for the EMS crew to pick me up. I have been hit by a car 4 times, and will not ride on the road any more. Motorist have made their point. I am looking forward to the oil running out so I can get back to riding. Oh yeah, every time I got hit I was wearing a helmet, and they were all the fault of the driver. 3 were hit and runs. 1 was a uninsured driver. Share the road.

Paul Schrimpf

Postby Paul Schrimpf » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 pm

When you say "law" does it mean that there are specific consequences for specific violations, or is it like the "brake for kids" signs that are mere suggestion? I like the suggestion of a bike friendly road environment but wondered whether it is something specifically tied to a law.

Dee Martinez

Postby Dee Martinez » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Joe Whisman wrote:I am glad to have share the road signs. It will give me something to read as I wait for the EMS crew to pick me up. I have been hit by a car 4 times, and will not ride on the road any more. Motorist have made their point. I am looking forward to the oil running out so I can get back to riding. Oh yeah, every time I got hit I was wearing a helmet, and they were all the fault of the driver. 3 were hit and runs. 1 was a uninsured driver. Share the road.

On the other hand, I saw a near-tragedy two weeks ago at Riverside and Detroit when an elderly gentleman on a bicycle completely ran a red light and was t-barred by a motorist proceeding at a normal speed through the northbound green.

A number of people, including a city worker, got out of their cars to check on the gent, who fortunately was wearing a helmet and was amazingly no worse for the wear.

However, if this man had been seriously injured, it really and truly would have been his fault but I'll bet the driver would be totally castigated. It happened right in front of me.
Safety on the roads is EVERYONE'S responsibility!

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:14 am

Apparently street cycling is an issue, so I scoured the Internet in search of video demonstrations of proper street cycling technique. After an exhaustive search, I highly recommend these four.... ;-)

Produced by the New York City bike messengers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au0Zjn3eB9k

London messengers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g&NR=1

Baltimore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBGXS5ZC58

And finally, Cleveland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC38sQAxbGc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb0wqsbH2Gc

Several little known but important safety tips can be gleaned from these helpful videos....

1- When flipping off other road users, it's important to keep one hand on the handlebars at all times.

2- Don't skitch a ride while cycling on a fixie. The rapidly rotating pedals could break your ankles.

3- When running red lights, it's important to go very very fast. The less time spent in the intersection, the less likely you are to get hit. The same advice applies when passing stopped cars on the right, and when making a left turn from the right turn lane. That's why you should never wear a helmet; they are not very aerodynamic and can slow you down. On the other hand, purple dresses are lightweight and therefore highly recommended.

4- Don't worry about cutting thru a bunch of pedestrians while cycling very fast. Pedestrians are soft and fleshy so if you hit them you won't be injured.

5- Overtaking crashes are quite rare when riding the wrong way on a one-way street. Operating a bicycle in this manner is therefore highly recommended.

6- Bike lanes are very unsafe because they are full of bikes.

7- Cycling on icy streets is very safe as there are far fewer cars about. Ditto parks and sidewalks, never any cars there.

I hope this helps.... ;-)

Robert Bobik

Postby Robert Bobik » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:00 am

Sounds like a typical day commuting downtown! It's absolutely amazing what some of these guys, and a few girls, do on the road. And then they wonder why motorists get irate. Then all bicyclists that use the road have to pay for their "skills".

Dave Mechenbier

"share the road" noe the law in lakewood

Postby Dave Mechenbier » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:25 am

I am a cyclist, so don't take this the wrong way. Any suggestions on how the red light running, lane splitting, wrong way riders etc could be re-educated?
As a cyclist who does follow the rules, I think those who ride on the sidewalks or the on the street in an unsafe manner give the drivers a poor opinion of all of us.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”