Clouds got in the way...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Gary Rice

Re: Clouds got in the way...

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:21 am

Well said, Alex, except that I'm not sure that walking away takes care of the problem of those foxes in the henhouse. :wink: (or would a better analogy be those traders in the temple? :D )

You know that my strength and hope lies where yours does. :D

Still, the older I get, the less I like to be around problematic people. :shock:

You know the sort... :shock:

Those who, for whatever reason, positive or otherwise...whether motivated by altruism, attention-seeking behavior, idealism....or whatever...are people who are more interested in agendas than in each other; those who just seem to want to make the rest of us feel as miserable as they do... :shock:

Such problematic people can cause frustration and upset in our lives. :(

NOW, If there is something that we can do to help them, that would be one thing, (and we certainly do need to try to help, where possible!) but let's face it...

...there are those who seem to live to stir up the pot of life until it starts to splash all over the rest of us. :shock:

That's where I draw the line. :shock:

Jim O'Bryan has a great deal of time and financial resources invested in the Observer Project. I'm sure that he would like for it to continue and prosper. So do I. :D

At the same time, I think of many times lately that I have NOT posted here, because I simply did not need the grief. Then, I think of others who used to post here, who do not do so anymore. :shock:

Don't get me wrong. The 'Deck has never been free of controversial discussion and arguments, and that's understandable. It's just that, in my opinion, civility here needs to be re-prioritized to a higher level, if this project is to succeed. :D

I wish Jim and this project every success. It just seems to me that people are forgetting how to constructively advocate. :D

That needs to change. :D

Back to the banjo... :D

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 am

Wow! :D

This thread has really taken off over the past twenty-four hours! Everything from ripping me a new one to Bush, Iraq, and "bias".

I don't really have a problem with the thread drift in this thread (or any other one, really). However, I find it interesting the JOB will come on and rip me a new one for alleged "nasty" images when it was intended as a mild joke (I even stated it was a joke). Yet he remains silent when his "clouds got in the way" thread is derailed into discussion about Iraq and Bush. Again, I am not trying to criticize Mike or anyone else for the thread drift. I am just pointing out what appears to be another double standard on the Deck.

Over the past year, I have spoken to several women in the community. They told me that they want to join the Deck, but that they only read due to what they perceive as chauvinistic attitudes among a few of the men.

Unspoken rule: women can't thread drift or make jokes. Got it! Maybe that should be in the terms of service. :D

Yes, the alleged "nasty" images will continue until I see an improvement. If a few people want to choose to live in a bubble and not recognize or do anything about the alleged "nastiness", that is their right. Likewise, it doesn't mean that I should have to sit back, do nothing, and have my free speech squashed. If people don't see it, they will when it eventually creeps into their part of Lakewood. It will happen faster than they think. Not directing this at anyone particular, just saying.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Lori Allen _ wrote:Wow! :D

This thread has really taken off over the past twenty-four hours! Everything from ripping me a new one to Bush, Iraq, and "bias".

I don't really have a problem with the thread drift in this thread (or any other one, really). However, I find it interesting the JOB will come on and rip me a new one for alleged "nasty" images when it was intended as a mild joke (I even stated it was a joke). Yet he remains silent when his "clouds got in the way" thread is derailed into discussion about Iraq and Bush. Again, I am not trying to criticize Mike or anyone else for the thread drift. I am just pointing out what appears to be another double standard on the Deck.

Over the past year, I have spoken to several women in the community. They told me that they want to join the Deck, but that they only read due to what they perceive as chauvinistic attitudes among a few of the men.

Unspoken rule: women can't thread drift or make jokes. Got it! Maybe that should be in the terms of service. :D

Yes, the alleged "nasty" images will continue until I see an improvement. If a few people want to choose to live in a bubble and not recognize or do anything about the alleged "nastiness", that is their right. Likewise, it doesn't mean that I should have to sit back, do nothing, and have my free speech squashed. If people don't see it, they will when it eventually creeps into their part of Lakewood. It will happen faster than they think. Not directing this at anyone particular, just saying.

Lori

Actually that above this is a bunch of whining, poor old me BS.

I remain silent, because I have a ton of things to do, I was busy with real life.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:08 pm

:cry:

Very very very very sad.

:cry:

This reminds me of the observational comedy routine from Paula Poundstone: “My mother was the angriest person I’ve ever known in my entire life. One time I knocked a Flintstones glass off the kitchen table. She said, ‘Well, damn it, we can’t have nice things.”

I just wanted to - in some way - add some unadulterated joy and beauty to the Deck by posting to this sweet thread. Is there anything you won't try to fuck up?

Taking a break. See ya.

nice things.jpeg
nice things.jpeg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 17641 times

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Peter Grossetti

Postby Peter Grossetti » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 pm

one for the road ...
062716.jpg
062716.jpg (554.95 KiB) Viewed 17637 times

"So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?"

~ Fred (Mr. Rogers) Rogers
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Gary Rice wrote:Well said, Alex, except that I'm not sure that walking away takes care of the problem of those foxes in the henhouse. :wink: (or would a better analogy be those traders in the temple? :D )

You know that my strength and hope lies where yours does. :D

Still, the older I get, the less I like to be around problematic people. :shock:

You know the sort... :shock:

Those who, for whatever reason, positive or otherwise...whether motivated by altruism, attention-seeking behavior, idealism....or whatever...are people who are more interested in agendas than in each other; those who just seem to want to make the rest of us feel as miserable as they do... :shock:

Such problematic people can cause frustration and upset in our lives. :(

NOW, If there is something that we can do to help them, that would be one thing, (and we certainly do need to try to help, where possible!) but let's face it...

...there are those who seem to live to stir up the pot of life until it starts to splash all over the rest of us. :shock:

That's where I draw the line. :shock:

Jim O'Bryan has a great deal of time and financial resources invested in the Observer Project. I'm sure that he would like for it to continue and prosper. So do I. :D

At the same time, I think of many times lately that I have NOT posted here, because I simply did not need the grief. Then, I think of others who used to post here, who do not do so anymore. :shock:

Don't get me wrong. The 'Deck has never been free of controversial discussion and arguments, and that's understandable. It's just that, in my opinion, civility here needs to be re-prioritized to a higher level, if this project is to succeed. :D

I wish Jim and this project every success. It just seems to me that people are forgetting how to constructively advocate. :D

That needs to change. :D

Back to the banjo... :D

Gary

Though not in agreement totally, thank you.

Diffusion is the enemy of a community. So I am finding out is unbridled negativity.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Alaimo

Postby Dan Alaimo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:22 pm

This had been a very nice, even beautiful thread, that has been fouled by some significant drift.
I want to respond to some of it, but I will start a new topic. Stand by.

“Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Winston Churchill (Quote later appropriated by Rahm Emanuel)
Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Jim,
No whining from me! Just an observation about a very profound issue here on the Deck. I will now let the thread get back on track and also let you boys get back to your recess hour!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Lori Allen _ wrote:Jim,
No whining from me! Just an observation about a very profound issue here on the Deck. I will now let the thread get back on track and also let you boys get back to your recess hour!

Lori

Maybe you didn't read, this outbreak, err joke costs 3 people that have supplied unbelievable images to this project for over a decade. That through thick and thin stuck in there, even after moving to bring a little beauty into our lives. An effort to show our love and respect for Lakewood in in the worst times. You come in and throw shit around. Those three worked hard for this project, and to help others get their words out with photos. With the exception of Gary who I have known forever, friends that have helped, pitched in, and tried to make this site better. Gone, I hope not.

Joke?

I didn't get it.

But I'm a man.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Jim, you are continuing the drift! Like I said before, different standards for women here on the Deck then there are for men.

So much for: you can write whatever you want as long as you stand behind it. Maybe so, but the message will come through loud, clear, and harshly if you don't like what someone writes.

You can continue to the drift, or we can get it back on track.

Choice is yours,

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Lori Allen _ wrote:Jim, you are continuing the drift! Like I said before, different standards for women here on the Deck then there are for men.

So much for: you can write whatever you want as long as you stand behind it. Maybe so, but the message will come through loud, clear, and harshly if you don't like what someone writes.

You can continue to the drift, or we can get it back on track.

Choice is yours,

No Lori, we are going to move part of this thread drift into a section called, "Drifts"

Later this week.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Lori Allen _

Postby Lori Allen _ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Good idea, glad to hear it. Now all the boys can go back and play! :D

cmager

Postby cmager » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm

I agree with Mr. Grossetti - this is why we cannot have nice things.
I think thread drift sucks. Thread Drift Annoys. Thread Drift Hurts. Thread Drift Matters.
Mr. JO'B I hope you can (or choose to) move the drift off of this post so that the beauty of this post can continue forward.

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:14 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about thread drift. After all, it could be argued that old mattresses, at least superficially, could resemble fluffy clouds drifting along. (if one squints hard enough) :lol:

As for whether they got in the way here or not? :shock:

Well, perhaps at least they had good intentions? :shock:

Back to the banjo...QUICKLY!!! :D
Last edited by Gary Rice on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betsy Voinovich

Postby Betsy Voinovich » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:15 pm

clouds.jpg
clouds.jpg (157.42 KiB) Viewed 17938 times

This was the sky on my way out today. I think the clouds have all disappeared this afternoon. Hard to find shade.

Betsy Voinovich

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”