LHS Commencement: They're adults

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jeff Endress

LHS Commencement: They're adults

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:17 pm

Lakewood High celebrated the graduation of the class of 2005 on Sunday. Some very thoughtful student addresses, and the closing of the chapter for the graduates. As I watched, a thought occured to me that we, as parents, probably have not, but should, consider. We tend to view our children AS children, notwithstanding the fact that legally, at 18, they are considered adults. ("If that's what the law says, then the Law is an ass"..Mr. Bumble). I raise the point here so that as we prepare to send our kids off to college, vocational training, or whatever, that in addition to extra sheets, a microwave and first aid kit, we also equip them with Durable Powers of Attorney for Health Care and Living Wills. I know it's kind of a morbid thought as we celebrate our children "turning into adults", but, if tragedy were to befall any of our children, these simple documents will alow us, as parents, to continue to care for our children, and make parental decisions, even though they are now, adults.

Jeff

Dan Ott

Postby Dan Ott » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:54 pm

and of course they should call the venerable Jeff Endress for these services, right? (;
just kidding...i think it's a good idea, too. every once in a while i can't escape those thoughts of "what if?" like..."if i died...who would get my cds?"

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Dan
I'm actually far to busy with the LO to be troubled with the practice of law. I would have referred any inquiries to Ott & Associates. The necessary forms are available online.

http://www.ohpco.org/ Click on "Advanced directives". Requires Adobe.

Jeff

[size=75]“The difference between a liberal and a conservative is a conservative prays in public and drinks in private and a liberal prays in private and drinks in publicâ€Â

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”