Community Agoraphobia

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Suzanne Metelko

Community Agoraphobia

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:57 pm

As I have traveled from event to party to event to party this weekend, I've heard person after person express a recurring dread about leaving Lakewood, for any reason. They don't want to drive to Ursuline College, they don't want to go to Crocker Park, they don't want to drive to the east coast. Don't get me wrong, they don't want to stay in their home, they're very happy to walk to the park for a band concert, bike to a friends, meet at the ice cream store, hike thru the valley. They like staying put in the cozy, congested, friendly and familiar confines of their community.

Could it be that we're all coming down with ..... community agoraphobia?

Is is spreading?

Has it infected anyone you know?

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:49 pm

In an increasingly frantic era of high tech alien-nation, the nourishing and stimulating fellowship available within Lakewood makes the case for a rather unique complex called:

Agora = an open space in a town.

Philia = neighborly love.

Kenneth Warren

Stephen Calhoun

Postby Stephen Calhoun » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:48 am

Temenos = container

(We've discussed, Ken, the quasi-hermetic (i.e. 'sealed,' sealed-away, concealed,) tribes that find Lakewood to be congenial.)

Might speak here of a kind of force-field too.

Intuitions?

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:58 am

Grace,

Ever since I found out that we pay an average of $5 a gallon for bottled water, the price of gas hasn't bothered me a bit. :D

Suzanne

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 am

Suzanne Metelko wrote:Grace,

Ever since I found out that we pay an average of $5 a gallon for bottled water, the price of gas hasn't bothered me a bit. :D

Suzanne

Suzanne/Grace

Just another reason why we live in the best location in the nation! As bottled water skyrockets, we sit on the only reserve that matters. We can live without oil, but water, that's a whole different thing.

Jim

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:47 pm

Good words about Lakewood continue to surface in unexpected ways.

I heard today from Suzanne Metelko that two families, one from Chicago and another from California, traveled to Lakewood to see if their children could audition and get into the Lakewood Project. Now that's one fine musical way to build a brand.

I am certain the real estate value is another compelling reason to move.

For example, while Cleveland is surfacing on various radar screens, with the positive qualities of real estate and amenities duly noted, Lakewood surfaces in an outsider runner’s take on passing through the North of Clifton area on the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon:

“And this point in the race, mile 5, I already have a tight calf and I'm feeling the humidity. That's not stopping me from enjoying the neighborhood of Lakewood, where there are plenty of large and beautiful homes, reminscent of Chicago's toney Edgebrook neighborhood--so Cleveland is not composed solely of run-down houses. A couple of miles later, I discover that Lakewood is not a Cleveland aberration, as I enter, tight calf and all, Ohio City.â€Â

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”