Raise the Roof Celebration - LHS Alumni Party

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Raise the Roof Celebration - LHS Alumni Party

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri May 20, 2005 2:10 pm

Raise the Roof Schedule - June 4th

Continental Breakfast: 9am - 11am
Kiwanis Pavilion in Lakewood Park
Free coffee, pastries, etc!

Auto Road Rally: 9am - 2pm
Itís a magical mystery tour through town!
Prizes awarded!
Register your auto: 9am - 9:30am at the
Kiwanis Pavilion
Entry fee: $20 per car for Alumni
$25 per car for non-alumni
Youíll need a driver & navigator, your
driverís license, and proof of insurance.

Raise the Roof Parade: 4pm
This hometown parade steps off from
Grant Elementary School (1470 Victoria)
Parade route: Victoria to Hilliard to
Madison to Woodward/Harding Field.

Raise the Roof Block Party:
Post-parade until 9pm
Follow the parade to Harding Field.
Live entertainment, food concessions,
childrenís activities, Memory Lane, and
more! Bring a blanket or lawn chair and
enjoy the show!
Presented by
First Federal of Lakewood
Block Party Details:
Information Alley: 4pm-8pm
Exciting economic development projects are
happening throughout Lakewood! Visit these
information booths hosted by the Lakewood
YMCA, Lakewood Library, Lakewood City
Schools, Lakewood Hospital, and Rysar
Properties to see whatís on the horizon for our community!

Memory Lane: 4pm-8pm
Did you know that the Alumni Office holds the
archives for the Lakewood City Schools? This
tented area will have displays of memoribilia
and photographs from our archives. Be sure to
stop in and pick up a ëProud Graduateí sticker to
wear for the day!

A celebration to benefit the
Lakewood Public Schools Alumni Foundation
Friday, June 3, 2005 at 7:00 pm
The Armory at The Beck Center
Stage Entertainment: 5pm - 9pm
Scheduled performances include:
*All-elementary school choir
*Harding Jazz Band
*LHS Jazz Band
*All-elementary fifth grade band
*Emerson Show Choir
*Alumni Marching Band
*Garfield & Madison Choirs
*Emerson Jazz Band
*McKinley 4/5 Choir & Lunch Bunch
*Horace Mann Jazz Band
*Emerson Percussion Ensemble
*Vive LíFour - the LHS Barbershop Quartet
*The Lakewood Project (LHS Rock
Orchestra) joined by members of the
LHS Barnstormer Drama Group on selections
from Seussical the Musical.

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:47 am

What a great weekend for Lakewood.

The Observers were in full force at The Wrecking Ball, Rally/Breakfast, Parade, and Outdoor Concert. EVERYONE, I repeat EVERYONE loved the weekend, and hopes it becomes a yearly party.

Standing ovations to all involved. Especially Teresa Andreani, Celia Dorsch and Jay Foran.

When the parade of schools came down Madison, it was great. Smiles a mile wide, and people cheering Lakewood's future.

It was da bomb!

Jim O'Bryan

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 am

Was that stage the best? Kudos to Trish Hendy and the Lakewood Project for bringing their professional skills to a ballfield in the middle of town and sharing it with music groups of all ages and neighbors from all over town!

Ken Warren and I manned the Library booth and to a person the comments about the library renovation, the schools, the Y and the event were positive.

No doubt about it - It's Lakewood's Time!

Kenneth Warren

Postby Kenneth Warren » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:08 am

It was indeed a great weekend for Lakewood, filled with touching images, sounds, personalities and performances.

Like nothing else, these musical school events always connect us with that deep river of good flowing from Lakewood's heart.

I too am very grateful to those civic personalities I know who worked so hard to bring about a momentous weekend- Teresa Andreani, Celia Dorsch, Jay Foran, and the Alumni Association.

And to you Jim O'Bryan, for staying up past midnight with your wife Deb working on final Road Rally details.

Jay Foran was a brilliant, upbeat maestro, bringing in the new era of community building, and keeping us pumped. Thanks again Jay.

To all those I do not know who worked hard, I extend my appreciation.

Lakewood parades always give us a sense of where we are as a community at any given time in the city's history. At this one I was especially impressed by International flag display, I believe from the children at Garfield School, and the massive Lincoln School display.

There were many memorable and moving images. Dr. Estrop and his wife riding in on bicycles in the hot sun made a smart, sustainable statement to the community about bicycle riding.

From our Mayor and to our good Police Officers, from Council candidates Nickie Antonio and Dan Brennan, from Councilman Demro to Podcaster Stan Austin, from strangers to new friends, the field was hopping with high hopes for the future and good vibrations in the present.

In the library booth I thought to myself here is a community that is truly celebrating an investment in ourselves, in our children and in our city, proving as Lakewood always does that there is a priceless quality of life that money can't buy.

The entire commitment to music and song from Lakewood City School staff and students remains an awe-inspiring, signature tradition of our city.

Lakewood Project is, of course, an incredible demonstration of the energetics and talents being unleashed in our city.

Best of all, to the librarian in me, was the delight in learning that almost every child who stopped by the library booth (except two) had already registered for the Summer Reaading Club.

Finally what made me understand in a concrete sense the importance of the Lakewood Observer was seeing Lakewood Observer reporter Brian Wroten with camera, press credentials, notepad and pen on the beat for hours on end, while conversely, not seeing evidence of any degree of similar interest from other newspaper reporters.

Kenneth Warren

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 pm

As I pointed out in discussion with several board members, this weekend really showed what we're about and why Lakewood's time is now. To our immediate east, Cleveland is embarking on a very similar, though much larger, school reconstruction issue. In Lakewood, we celebrated the "loss" of some of our old structures with memories and a degree of reverance but with an excitement for the improvements and changes. Next door, they're protesting closures and passing petitions. Our school board, administration and involved voluteers (THANKS JAY) deserve a heartfelt thankyou for bringing the community into the process and taking what could be a devisive issue and creating a cause for celebration.

My favorite memory? (I admit to being partial)...Jane Scott, entering the mosh pit and boogying in front of that dynamite red-head playing the electric cello for the Lakewood project.

Jeff

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 pm

Jeff Endress wrote:...My favorite memory? (I admit to being partial)...Jane Scott, entering the mosh pit and boogying in front of that dynamite red-head playing the electric cello for the Lakewood project.

Jeff

Jeff

I was talking with my old friend Jane Scott all day. She came down to the rally/breakfast with her good friend Rita. We got a great interview piece from her about the Lakewood Project and yes, she has agreed to join the staff!

Rock on.

Jim

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:14 pm

Jim,

We don't want to leave out a very important member of this committee. Emily Dziak Lockshine '93 did an enormous amount of work, especially for the Wrecking Ball. What a fantastic opportunity for our younger members to shine and Emily sure did. I know that Jay, Theresa and Ceil would agree.

Thanks, Emily!

Suzanne

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”