What ever happened to...

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Mark Crnolatas

What ever happened to...

Postby Mark Crnolatas » Tue May 17, 2005 4:32 pm

A drug store in central Lkwd, around Warren and Madison? Half the city could use one there.

Neighbors all knowing each other for many houses on either side?

Anyone from the Class of '67, 68 or 69. *Seem to lost track of everyone just about*

Anywhere being open for a cup of coffee after 10pm on a weekday.

Any more Observers like to add to this for fun?

Suzanne Metelko

Neighbors all knowing each other for many houses on either s

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:11 am

Mark,

My family lives on Arthur. We are so fortunate to know most of our neighbors from Madison to the interstate. I suspect that's because we make an effort to get together at least twice a year and have street activities several more times. The kids on the street know alot of us and it makes for a secure and fun place to live. I grew up on Revely with the same neighborhood dynamic.

I'm sure there are other streets with similar descriptions but if anyone would like to know how we do it, we'll be happy to share information.

Suzanne Metelko

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Mark

As I understand it, there's going to be a GREAT BIG drug store at Madison and Warren...a big box Walgreens, I think. (But I share the feeling..remembers Ratner's? I mean a drug store with a soda fountain?)

Surprisingly, There are a LOT of neighborhoods that are very friendly....I think Virginia Ave., is on their 40th year of block parties...Kenneth, the same way, Daleview has been doing luminaries for 8 years and this will be our 7th block party (seems to hold true for the 'hoods without a lot of turnover).

As for LHS '67-'69....I think they all fell into the "Smoking Pit" the rest moved to Canada to avoid the draft

Coffee after 10:00? I used to do that when I had infants keeping me up. IHOP till 11 weeknights, 12 weekends..My Friends Detroit W.117 24/7.

Some other "What ever happened tos":
Miller's stickey buns (Chef Geoff column in the works)
Franklin's Ice cream cups after a little league game....
Big Screen at the Detroit...
The Shanty Hardware store, Baileys's Department store (Later Neville's)
Niesner's and Woolworth's.....
School cafeteria food, cooked on premises that actually tasted good (Still have a place in my heart for Horace Mann's cream of tomato soup)...
Going trick or treating and getting fresh donuts and hot apple cider at the huge white house on Lake....
When Lakewood had its own Hospital (Exactly how and when and for how much did it end up as Cleveland Clinic West?)
Poppee's popcorn while watching a softball game at Harding field...

Jeff

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:13 pm

8) Stan Austin ('67) disregards a potential taunt from a member of one of the questionable classes.

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:46 pm

Hey Jeff,

Sticky Buns - Elmwood says they have them

Friday Fish at Harding; even the meatloaf was good.

I LOVED the big screen at the Detoit.

About Lakewood Hospital - we should talk.

I really miss Carsons and Red Robin, at least we still have Geigers.

67-69 was that the students or the teachers? :shock:

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Sticky Buns, mmmmmmmmmmmm.

School food the only thing I miss were the hard rolls.

Web Pharmacy, the real Roman Fountain Gang.

Angie's Master Pizza

Big Boy Diamond Jim's while watching bBall at Kaufman

This might be a good one to keep going for a great series that will run in the paper soon. Thanks to a world famous Lakewood artist, and his memory man. Featuring good memories and Lakewood Snoids!

Krazy Kenny you are missed! But you will not be forgotten!

Jim

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:15 pm

ANGIES, oh I forgot about Angies Master Pizza, what I wouldn't give for one now....

How about Melody Lane??

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Hey-- How 'bout Twins' Deli at Arthur and Madison? Way before the days of Lawsons you could go up there on a hot summer day, get a 16oz. Coke for 15 cents and turn the bottle back in for 3cents after you drank it!

And if it was ice cream you wanted right across the street at the Dairy Isle!

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:13 am

Suzanne Metelko wrote:ANGIES, oh I forgot about Angies Master Pizza, what I wouldn't give for one now....

How about Melody Lane??

Update on Melody Lane. Shelly Turk who bought Lambs Records and turned it into Melody Lane still owns the building. One of those young Hippie clerks that ran the place Dan Gray is Daffy Dan, who I still keep in contact with. My first studio with Bill Davis was right above it. Dan has retired, jump back into it, retired and is back to running Daffy Dan's again. Danny has great memories of Lakewood and still painfully remembers the day he moved to Western Ave. to handle his wholesale business.

Stan

I will call your Twins Deli, and raise you a Rockway Deli (Rockway and Detroit) and Andy's Deli. Special bonus points for the name of the Deli that was directly across from the YMCA in the 60s.

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:43 am

Jim--- You aren't talking about Sinagra's are you?
Stan

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:00 pm

Stan Austin wrote:Jim--- You aren't talking about Sinagra's are you?
Stan

Stan

No this Deli was in the spot the hair salon is in now. But as long as we are talking about Sinagra's how about Chester's, Salem's and Palmer's Meat Market.

Jim

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:45 pm

Anybody remember Art's Meat Market at the end of Rosewood on Madison? I grew up in that place and ate many a lunch with Art and Joe.

Loved those open lunch hours.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:12 pm

I Remember the deli across from the Y...used to get stewart sandwich pizza there on the way home from swimming lessons at the Y...spoiling my dinner of course. Can't remember the name.

Along with the little Mom & Pops, there was also Palacs (sp?), where Player's is now located. Al would deliver. His father cut meat, his wife gave kids pretzel rods....

Jeff

Stan Austin
Contributor

Postby Stan Austin » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:22 pm

And all you Cool LHS guys--- There weren't any stylists for us back then. It was Fiorres' for your haircut. (He always had a glass of wine for you at Christmas time).
Unfortunately, he skipped a beat with the new hippie long hair. He ruined my haircut and from then on I always had sympathetic girlfriends do my hair until the barbers got their acts together again.

Suzanne Metelko

Postby Suzanne Metelko » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:23 pm

Speaking of barbershops - remember Oscar's barbershop in that crazy shaped building on Madison west of Baxterly?

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”