Big Oak Loses Zoning Appeal For Bonnieview Apartments

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Bill Call

Big Oak Loses Zoning Appeal For Bonnieview Apartments

Postby Bill Call » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:56 am

Mental Health Services' homeless resettlement program has been dealt a temporary set back.

"The city has won the Oak Tree Manor appeal. The trial court upheld the city’s issuance of zoning and occupancy violation notices against the building owner. Unless the owner appeals to the Eighth District Court of Appeals — very likely a losing proposition — the matter has been fully resolved in favor of the city."

MHS still intends to house its clients at the Bonnieview Apartments even though it will not be able to have offices in the building. In the past MHS has insisted that it was VITAL that they be able to offer treatment and support at Bonniview.

The Sun Post reported that MHS had to move its clients from Tremont because of housing violations at the Tremont facility. When I asked MHS for the details of the housing violations I was told that they were unaware of any violations. You would think there would be a story there somewhere.

This leads me to believe that MHS is engaged in an ideological battle and not a battle to provide service to the mentally ill. The curious financial arrangements between MHS and the owners of Big Oak are still .... curious.

Richard Cole

Re: Big Oak Loses Zoning Appeal For Bonnieview Apartments

Postby Richard Cole » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Bill - thanks for the update.

Good to hear that the Lakewood Board of Zoning decision has been upheld.

Question is, now what do MHS do? And the recipients of their services who have been left high and dry?

Danielle Masters

Re: Big Oak Loses Zoning Appeal For Bonnieview Apartments

Postby Danielle Masters » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:03 pm

I imagine the residents will stay in their apartments as they have leases and I am sure they will be held to those leases and I am certain they would like to stay in their homes. And hopefully MHS will open up an office on Detroit within walking distance from the apartments. That would be the best solution for Lakewood. Easily accessible services for those with mental illnesses is a win-win situation for everyone.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”