Ahead at Lightspeed

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

dl meckes

Re: Lightspeed boxes

Postby dl meckes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Gary Rice wrote:With the current trend in build-out practically to the street going on, it looks as if these big boxes may make exiting a driveway just as interesting as getting through the Madison-intersection, or perhaps the new "Y"'s driveway, or even the one by the new Harding, provided that they still keep that egress.

Buildings and boxes placed so close to the street can make it hard to see children, and traffic issues, in time to stop trouble.

Gary, this was a point which Councilman Dever argued very passionately, along with decrying the general junking up of our streetscape. I'm not doing him justice; he sounded like Jimmy Stewart as Mr. Deeds.

“One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”- 45
kate parker

Re: Northpoint Plans - Top Secret

Postby kate parker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:18 pm

J Hrlec wrote:Image

HAHAHAHAHA

"To be honest I like president Bush as well" - Jim O'Bryan

this internets is seri0s business!
Gary Rice

lightspeed

Postby Gary Rice » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm not sure that this is exactly what some of our civic do-gooders had in mind when I seem to recall some of them suggesting that perhaps a few big-box operations could move to town ;-P

stephen davis

Postby stephen davis » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:49 pm

As funny as this thread started out to be, I don't think we could have ever imagined how large and unsightly the AT&T installations would become.

We thought those big double wide tan boxes were offensive. That was just the beginning to clusters of huge and ugly hardware.

Just drive by Cook and Clifton. You can't miss the New Gold Coast of Electronic Cabinets. These clusters are also beginning to grow at Cove and Lake, and St. Charles and Clifton. What will be the limits on these visibility hazards and eyesores?

Did/does the Mayor or Council have any control over these installations? Was this the expected outcome? Was the public properly informed about what they might be looking at, or around?

Nothin' shakin' on Shakedown Street.
Used to be the heart of town.
Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart.
You just gotta poke around.

Robert Hunter/Sometimes attributed to Ezra Pound.
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:21 pm

stephen davis wrote:Did/does the Mayor or Council have any control over these installations? Was this the expected outcome? Was the public properly informed about what they might be looking at, or around?

Steve

If you remember Councilman Dever was outraged over the rush to judgment, as was Councilman Butler. Mr. Dever went on to talk about how many more companies might come along and ask the same, and where does it stop. I believe in private he brought a lot of heat on the process(?) and was demanding that AT&T put them underground. AT&T in the end said they could put up to 4 boxes underground, but the rest would cost too much.

I think this will become a much larger issue around the election. The office has gotten about ten phone calls asking what they are. I tell all to call their council person as they studied this much longer and harder than I.

You might also remember that Council mentioned this would separate us from the other cities. That this would drive down prices, and make Lakewood stand above the rest. Of course AT&T and COX said publicly "NO PRICE WAR," and the Plain Dealer mentioned basically every other city in the county is getting them, so there is no difference in branding.

It is an outrage.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Michael Dever

Postby Michael Dever » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Jim, unfortunately I never heard AT&T say they would put any of the boxes underground. In fact, they continuously contended that it was cost prohibitive. My personal analysis of other utilities, that construct their services underground, revealed insignificant costs. As far as I'm concerned there were no negotiations. We should have shut the door on them.

Jeff Endress

Postby Jeff Endress » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:36 am

I can certainly understand the outrage and concern. These structures are ugly, monolithic, and will affect property values. So, what can be done? Do we simply continue the carping and hold those responsible, accountable through the electoral process, or do we take some proactive approach?

Not too long ago, the WestEnd project was put to a referendum. What was thought to be a "done deal" was undone by the voters. Why should this be any different? Perhaps someone who was active on the WestEnd issue can provide some instruction on how we, as voters, taxpayers and homeowners affected by this can instruct us on what is necessary to being this up to a referendum vote. Circulate petitions, and allow the electorate to give the proper consideration to the effect of these abominations that was apparently absent in the Council discussions.

Or we could take our boxes, like good little boys and girls, and continue the complaints.

Jeff

To wander this country and this world looking for the best barbecue â€â€
Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Michael Dever wrote:Jim, unfortunately I never heard AT&T say they would put any of the boxes underground. In fact, they continuously contended that it was cost prohibitive. My personal analysis of other utilities, that construct their services underground, revealed insignificant costs. As far as I'm concerned there were no negotiations. We should have shut the door on them.

Councilman Dever

Thanks for setting the record straight and your candor.

It is appreciated by all Observers.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Dan Slife

Postby Dan Slife » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 pm

Councilman Dever,

I appreciate you political courage. If Lakewood is to effectively weather the stormy years ahead, such a political posture must be the consistent s.o.p., for all members of council.

As someone with great hopes for this city, I'm utterly confounded by the lack of both foresight and intelligence applied to this issue.

What pushed this one over the edge? It seems irrational.

Most know that much of the decision making process occurs in chamber, prior to the public meeting, which is largely ceremonial pomp, lest the torch bearing villagers arrive with burning political will.

What was said in that chamber, that you were the only dissenting voice?

Councilman Butler, why did you capitulate, despite clear statements identifying the move as undesirable?

What was so compelling about the AT&T switch that the remaining council members were so convinced, and applying so much pressure to push it through?

Bob Sealie, Nickie Antonio, Mary Louise Madagan, Ryan Demro, Mayoral Candidate Ed Fitzgerald...... what's the deal?

Perhaps you can clear the air by sharing the rationale upon which the majority consensus was built.

Dan Slife
Phil Florian

Postby Phil Florian » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:42 am

Let's build Lakewood Observer kiosks around each cluster. Have a place to post news, concert events, and have copies of the LO for passer bys. Let one side open up for access to the system to keep up the LIGHT SPEED warp connections.

Maybe it would be cheaper to raise all the other properties up around them? :D

Boy, if it is expensive to put those boxes underground from the initial get go, I can only imagine what it will be when we ask that they go back and put the existing ones under ground. (hint hint)

Jim O'Bryan

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Phil Florian wrote:Let's build Lakewood Observer kiosks around each cluster. Have a place to post news, concert events, and have copies of the LO for passer bys. Let one side open up for access to the system to keep up the LIGHT SPEED warp connections.

Here you go Phil.

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

Werner Heisenberg

Gary Rice

Postby Gary Rice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:59 pm

I only hope that people won't confuse them for outhouses.

Danielle Masters

Postby Danielle Masters » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:39 am

Maybe I am just a fool, but I just don't understand the need for these monstrosities. My high speed works great, but then again I have Cox and they obviously don't see the need to put big tan boxes. I would like to know if these lightspeed boxes are really going to give some service to the community. Does anyone know? On the bright side its fun to see silly photoshop photos of them.

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”