Elderly Couple Drive Off A Cliff! - All OK - Good Work Lakewood Fire/Police, and Cleveland Metro Park Police

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Jim O'Bryan

Elderly Couple Drive Off A Cliff! - All OK - Good Work Lakewood Fire/Police, and Cleveland Metro Park Police

Postby Jim O'Bryan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:36 pm

“Car over the cliff…” Sloane and Detroit Ave.
“It turned left and then just disappeared” was the way the call was described to first responders on the way.

A couple minutes later, “Where did you say the car was?” followed by, “We found it.”

Indeed a Kia traveling westbound on Detroit Avenue turned left into the Emerald Canyon, at the Rocky River entrance to Metro Parks. Then, the elderly couple never straightened the wheel or??? and continued over the cliff.

Luckily for all, the cliff there is covered with small trees, so that the car has a pretty good chance of stopping.

This car had only traveled about 20’ down the cliff, and according to what I over heard at the scene, the “elderly couple were OK and still in the car waiting to be taken out.”

Lakewood firefighters who have a lot of experience in this, stabilized the car, checked on the two passengers and waited for a stretcher to be lowered down so the people could be hauled up safely to the edge of the canyon road.

Sure enough, first one, then the next were pulled up. I believe they were taken to the hospital to be checked out.

second person makes it up the cliff.

It had to be a hell of a ride.

Great work Lakewood Fire and Police, and Metro Park Rangers, you all rock!

Jim O'Bryan
Lakewood Resident

"The very act of observing disturbs the system."
Werner Heisenberg

"If anything I've said seems useful to you, I'm glad.
If not, don't worry. Just forget about it."
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”