Cleveland Metropark levie

The jumping off discussion area for the rest of the Deck. All things Lakewood.
Please check out our other sections. As we refile many discussions from the past into
their proper sections please check them out and offer suggestions.

Moderators: Jim DeVito, Dan Alaimo

Richard Baker

Cleveland Metropark levie

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:14 pm

There is some confusion about the 2.7 mil levy for the Metropark, when comments of concern by fixed income retirees about there property tax increasing. There is some false information about the district has had increase since 2013, property values have gone up significantly, far exceeding inflation. What they are asking is for voters is to renew the current levee of 2.7 percent, however, I question the Metroparks need for the full 2.7 percent since property taxes went up an average of 27 percent in last assessment, not including the prior larger property values increases and I will not vote for the renewal. They are predicting that property values will go down by 10 percent, that leaves 17 percent increase. What lacking is honesty and facts from local taxing districts, it's time hold our elected officials accountable and until they do, don't vote for any renewal or increase in tax levy. Vote NO on the levee.

Matthew Lee

Re: Cleveland Metropark levie

Postby Matthew Lee » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:04 am

Completely disagree on so many levels. First, our Metroparks are one of the crown jewels of the area and make the Cleveland area an incredibly amazing area to live year round. Second, there is nothing false about the information. The Metroparks have not had a levy for ten years. That is a fact. Nobody said taxes haven't gone up. Just that the Metroparks have not had a levy in that long. The Metroparks are supported by the operating fund generated by the levy. Third, the levy is most definitely NOT a 2.7% levy. It is 2.7 mils. So if you have a $100,000 house, your payment for the Metroparks will go up $27 a year. If you have a $200,000 house your payment will go up $54 a year. This is not a 2.7% tax.

The Metroparks provide such a huge benefit to all socio-economic stratas of our area that I think it is well worth it to continue funding them. They are facing inflation like the rest of us. I would much rather chip in some money based on the levy than have them either cut back or charge admission at each park. Please think again and vote yes for the levy. This is not a tax boondoggle. It is a levy to preserve one of the best parts of our area for generations.

Bridget Conant

Postby Bridget Conant » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:20 am

Matthew Lee is correct on all counts.

The Metroparks has done an incredible job turning things around at Edgewater and down in the Flats since taking over.
I feel they use their money wisely and I enjoy what they offer.

Don’t think for a second that the proximity to the Metroparks doesn’t affect your property values - it’s a major selling point for all communities bordering any of their reservations.

I’ll happily vote FOR the Metroparks Levy.

Richard Baker

Postby Richard Baker » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:45 am

[quote="Matthew Lee"]Completely disagree on so many levels. First, our Metroparks are one of the crown jewels of the area and make the Cleveland area an incredibly amazing area to live year round. Second, there is nothing false about the information. The Metroparks have not had a levy for ten years. That is a fact. Nobody said taxes haven't gone up. Just that the Metroparks have not had a levy in that long. The Metroparks are supported by the operating fund generated by the levy. Third, the levy is most definitely NOT a 2.7% levy. It is 2.7 mils. So if you have a $100,000 house, your payment for the Metroparks will go up $27 a year. If you have a $200,000 house your payment will go up $54 a year. This is not a 2.7% tax.

The definition of levy,, "an act of levying a tax, fee, or fine". Property taxes will not increase, and if you owned property you would know that since you property tax lists a 2.7 mils tax for Metropark. Since you don't see property tax bills , you would not the assessed value of the house determines the amount the owner pays. Renters are not immune to these increase because they are passed down as rent increases. The $54 per $100,000 annually would have increased to $68.58 with the 27 percent increase in assessed property values three years ago. Why have assessed values have been sky rocketing, Democrat voters decided the Country Assessor should not be an elected representative of the people, but an appointed postion. The appointed assessor office does not inspect property to determine it value, there is no formula based on area property selling values, they simply pull a percentage that satisfiers the need of the government expansion, wages and benefits and raise property values accordingly.

You won't have to worry about future generations and the park when Detroit is the perfect example of what happens to a city managed by Democrats. Now we can add, a nation to that list.

Mark Kindt

Postby Mark Kindt » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:40 am

Actually, the Nation is doing quite well....

....but I will leave that dispute for another day....

Lakewood is a different story...

Tim Liston

Postby Tim Liston » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:33 am

It’s not often that I support more taxes, be they Federal, City, Ohio, County, schools, parks, whatever. They’ve got plenty. And certainly those govt entities that live primarily off our property taxes got quite a boost with the three-year re-appraisal.

But like a couple others here, I support the Metroparks. The Metroparks are a jewel. I ride my bike to Edgewater Park almost every spring/summer/fall day. What a gem! And so is the Emerald Necklace. It’s fun to see lots of folks (especially kids) active and outdoors, and enjoying themselves. And I see how well-kept Edgewater Park is.

In my opinion the first money Justin Bibb should spend is that needed to repair the Cuyahoga River bulkhead east of Ohio City. Then the bike/pedestrian trail between the Towpath at Columbus Road and the Centennial Trail north of there (next to Stonebridge) can be connected, and that whole west bank across the river from Merwyn’s Wharf can be improved. Can the Metroparks help with that? I think I’ve said before, Ohio has more bike trail miles than any state in the country. Let’s leverage that!

Slightly OT, I did something for the first time ever yesterday. I threw my new (refurbished) electric scooter in the backseat, drove the truck to Spremulli to drop off, scootered back home about a mile, then back to Spremulli later in the day to pick up the truck. Super easy! I think personal mobility and Lakewood go together well and I think that investments in such infrastructure (e.g. trails and lanes) will be rewarded. I’m even becoming more tolerant of bike lanes now that electric bikes and scooters are gaining popularity. Gets ‘em off the sidewalk and keeps motorists alert (hopefully).

Return to “Lakewood General Discussions”